Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Books by Esther and Jerry Hicks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2007 :  8:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am in the middle of reading:

Ask and It is Given

and

The Law of Attraction

The Hicks' teachings are giving me a fresh perspective of what bhakti (devotion) is and how to employ it as a tool, among other things.

I am finding out that the teachings are much more enhanced and effective with the establishment of inner stillness in order to focus the mind and also to observe my feelings.

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  12:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mainly, what I have learned from the books is a greater appreciation for meditation practice and, once again, the importance of establishing a basic foundation in meditation practice in order to recall the innate stillness and further development of ecstasy. Everything is possible from there...

Always coming back to the basics. Coming fulling circle, once again...

Practice. Practice. Practice.

Edited by - Hunter on Jan 08 2007 04:40:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  5:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hunter,

Not much overlap between Abraham-Hicks and AYP, but they seem quite compatible. I've got lots of free, used tapes if you are interested and you live in the 48 states.

-Yoda
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  3:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the difference between these two books? If I were to chose one then which one would it be?

If the premise of theses books are you can get whatever you ask for, is it what ayp tries to achieve i.e. if you want ecstatic conductivity and sincerely desire it, you will get it. On the contrary if you don't desire it you won't get it. But the the question comes how can you desire something you don't know what it is?

Yoda, what tapes do you have and how can I get them. I just came to know about Abraham-Hicks from the web so don't really know what is what there.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  4:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was recently given a 5-CD set of The Law of Attraction, and listened to the whole thing. I have to say that while I think the underlying message of positive thinking and affirmations is extremely powerful, there's something insidious behind it that's potentially destructive. Can we really get anything we ask for? According to Abraham Hicks (who, btw, is not a just one channeled being, but a group of channeled beings speaking through Ester Hicks with a rather annoying Slavic accent), if we change our thoughts and ban negativity from our radar screens, we can have ANYTHING that we want. We MUST be given what we want, since the law of attraction is an immutable law of the universe.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I kind of like the idea of not getting everything I want, as the getting has sometimes got me into big trouble. I LIKE the screening process; I like knowing that there's a higher good out there who's determining what I get and don't get. (A naive notion maybe, but it gives me some comfort in difficult times...) :)

But it's MUCH worse than that, imo. I don't know the world religions all that well, but I know quite a bit about Christianity, and like most people, deeply respect Christ's teachings. He said, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and then everything else will be added unto you." In other words, once your spiritual ducks are in a row, chances are you'll no longer be pining for a shiny black Ferrari, and your desires will probably be less material in nature.

I'll be accused of thinking small. Hey, I don't have anything against Ferraris or livin' large, but what this leads to is the dangerous part, and here's my point:

For those who DON'T get the Ferrari, even though they've named it and claimed it, the finger gets pointed at them, and they're told that it's THEIR fault. They don't have enough faith in God, and that's why they're still driving the Camaro. Since their cancer isn't going away, they must be hiding some sin, or they must not be thinking positively enough. Can you imagine the audacity behind this? And the terrible spiritual pain that ensues? Makes my blood boil! It's a spiritual nightmare, and I've seen first hand the damage that it does to one's psyche, to think that because X hasn't happened, I must be spiritually incompetent.

So that's my criticism of the Hicks' schtick. In short, I think they treat God as some kind of an investment broker: you put in this much, and you'll get these guaranteed returns. Yikes. But I'll finish by saying that the positive affirmation part of their message is really valuable, and I've seen the results of that recently in my own experience.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  7:42:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Meg,

First of all, I think Cameros are pretty cool and have played an important role in our fine nation's history.

I would say that in this crowd, Esther's information isn't very important for one's spiritual or material progress... we already have access to a practice that brings bliss on a daily basis and even employs affirmation practices in a very strong manner in the samyama practice and have also recognized that love, enlightenment, etc is ultimately where it's at.

To get on the best seller list, Oprah, etc a spiritual system has got to be dumbed down and materialized to a certain extent. "The Secret" even took this to a more extreme level of materialism and hence popularity.

Esther uses people's material desires as a skillful means to insert her spiritually oriented philosophy. She says it over and over again, but you have to detach yourself from the outcome to attain the goal... You have to seek ye first the kingdom of God. It's not about the yatch. She says she couldn't care less if her questioners improve their health or find that relationship... she wants them to find the essential blissful, loving energy that they are seeking which is available in every moment and every condition.

I've studied her philosophy exhaustively for 7 years, so I can say that this is what she is after even though it doesn't sound like it at first glance. It took me over a year to figure out that this was just the same old fashioned religion repackaged... it's easy to get distracted by the energy of her questioners and the bizarre angles she takes on every question tossed her way.

The one aspect of her philosophy that may be helpful for someone on this forum is that if someone here has a painful issue in their life that is very distracting and takes away from their inner peace to the point that they feel that it is depriving them of the practice of deep meditation, it might be worth a shot checking Esther out to learn the details of the relationship between spiritual practice and living in the material world. Then again, Esther's system works best going from good to great than it does bad to good, but it still works. Rescued my marriage, bigtime.

Yoda
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  09:41:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for taking the time to clarify, Yoda. I'm truly glad to know that my assumptions were off base, as there's so much that's valuable in the Hicks' work. The part about "detaching yourself from the outcome" didn't come through very well in the material that I was exposed to, but I'm glad to know that their overall message includes it. Now that I think of it, the tapes didn't include much of Esther's advice, but that of Abraham using her vocal chords to express his wisdom. Maybe when Esther is allowed to speak, she qualifies the message by adding the bit about spiritual priorities. Can you imagine if Christ has said, Seek ye first whatever it is that you want, then the kingdom of God will be added unto you? :0 What a mess.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  1:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gentlep,

There is a free download on their site for an intro. I have more I can mail you if you are interested.

Meg,

I wouldn't say you are wrong. Essentially, these teachings are unusual and certainly aren't a good fit for most people and your criticisms may still be perfectly applicable. I just wanted to say that her teachings are multidimensional... She does advocate to follow your desire whether it's for God or a glass of water, as an authentic path, but the path of finding the glass of water, passing the exam, etc is also one that can lead to God. The more one finds God, the easier the glass of water is to come by generally.

Yours,
Yoda

(I just call her "Esther" but I meant Abraham. Also Esther did ditch the accent as she became more comfortable with channeling.)

Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  5:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Now I am reading "Ask and It is Given." I like the processes that are in part-II of this book. There is a process called meditation. It has been said so many times here and elsewhere that one needs let go of all the desires, even the desire of enlightenment or experiences, during meditation. I was having hard time understanding why. But this book makes it clear. You need to let go so that you can increase your vibration to allow it to happen. So it helps me to have the desire of an experience or enlightenment just before I start meditation then I let it go just for the period of meditation.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  08:51:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gentlep,
quote:
So it helps me to have the desire of an experience or enlightenment just before I start meditation then I let it go just for the period of meditation.

I'm glad you clarified that. I have always wondered how someone can be completely free from desire, and still make it across the room to the meditation cushion! Unless of course they are moved by the hand of God.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000