Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 "blockage" while DM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gaetan

France
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2021 :  07:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone !

As I'm not English native speaker I'll try my best to be as clear as possible on my explanations!

So I started DM with the IAM mantra about 3-4 months ago and I added Pranayama spinal breathing a month ago.

I've had some "satisfying" experiences from the beginning with DM, some pleasure waves along my body and the feeling to be kind of levitating, so to speak.

If I well understood Yogani's advices, I shouldn't pay much attention to it and stick to the mantra.
But the poblem is here. Because of this pleasure feeling I get too excited, my heart start to beat faster and it kind of break the whole process, much like it put me out of this meditative state.

I try to control it (the excessive excitation) but it seems like it's stronger than my intention.
I don't know if this is related but from a month or 2 I feel like I "stagnate" in the process because it might put a wall somewhere in my mind unconsciously, maybe ?

I hope this is clear enough and that someone can enlight me on this point.

Thank you to take some time, greetings from France!!!

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2021 :  08:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Gaetan, welcome to the AYP forum!

No worries about your English, your post is very clear. Sounds like you've been making good progress with your AYP practice.

The answer to your question is in Lesson 15. When we encounter a distraction that interferes with our mantra repetition, we let our attention be with the distraction for a little while, till things settle down enough to allow us to go back to the mantra. The paragraph I'm referring to speaks about a discomfort arising during meditation, but it applies to other strong sensations that interfere with the mantra repetition:

quote:
If it interferes with the easy process of meditation, then pause with the mantra and allow the attention to be drawn to the physical discomfort. Just be with it for a while. Usually, this will dissolve the discomfort naturally. Once it does, go back to the mantra and continue your meditation until your time is up. Count the time you spent with your attention on the physical discomfort as part of your meditation time.

If this doesn't solve the problem and you feel your meditation is rendered ineffective by too much excitement, then consider self-pacing. You might have added the Pranayama a little too soon.

All the best. Let us know how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2021 :  09:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Gaetan

I second Blue’s advice to pause and observe, rather than try to control it. I recall my first year was full of these types of purification episodes and all were temporary, momentary, with no lasting affect. Even the sense of stagnation is temporary, just keep coming back to your disciplined practice, although if it is persistent, and you have overall stability in your practice and life, it could be a sign you are ready to add to your practices (but certainly not until these purification episodes are far in the past!).
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2021 :  10:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy
Even the sense of stagnation is temporary, just keep coming back to your disciplined practice, although if it is persistent, and you have overall stability in your practice and life, it could be a sign you are ready to add to your practices

Hi Dogboy
I think the sense of stagnation in this case is pure scenery. He started AYP 3-4 months ago and only added SBP a month ago!

Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2021 :  11:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gaetan, Welcome to the forum. I agree with our Dogboy and BlueRaincoat who have a lot more experience than I do. Being newer to AYP I can confirm everything you are experiencing is real and you are on target. The initial intense pleasure does settle down. As BR suggests you may need to self pace. If you added any of the energy stimulating practices like siddhasana I would back off on those until you find a better balance. I am a year and a half into the practices and I have had to self pace quite a bit in the beginning as the pleasant experiences are very compelling but, as you say, a bit distracting. The inner silence is where the money is from what I've heard again and again so it is a good idea to focus on achieving that inner stillness rather than chasing the pleasure.
Go to Top of Page

Gaetan

France
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2021 :  11:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey thanks a lot for your replies

actually yes I was wrong to try to avoid this feeling instead of being with it for a little while
next time it happens, I'll try and send you updates about it

cheers!

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2021 :  06:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gaetan,
Welcome to the forum. You have received very good advice here. I would only want to add another perspective: The pleasurable waves rising at the beginning of your meditation are like a gateway to deeper states. They show that your meditation is working, and they are not an end in themselves. While the pleasurable waves may be distracting, it is amazing how fast we adapt, and they become a normal part of the practice - and life. So simply following the mantra you will go beyond the excited pleasure (called piti, the first of 8 jnanas or "meditative states") at the beginning of meditation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000