Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Nadi Shodhana in Dynamic Jalandhara Enhancement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lightandlove

Germany
85 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2020 :  03:52:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone :)

Before I started AYP, Nadi Shodhana with breath retention was a main part of my practice and I am still doing it today as it feels very good to me.
As during the last weeks I am finding myself simplifying my routine, something came to my mind today during practice and I wanted to ask if anyone of you has experience with that.
I am for about half a year practicing Dynamic Jalandhara with the addition of closing my nose like in Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka as i is described in one of the AYP Lessons.
Now I was wondering wether here may be a place to implement nadi shodhana.
I tried the following;
Breathe in through left nostril, close the nose with my fingers and do dynamic jalandhara in one direction.
After retention, release and exhale through the right nostril.
Do the same in the other direction.

Of course this felt a bit cloudy at first, but very good.
It seems to merge these two into a more effective single practice.

Anyone tried this before and can share experience?

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2020 :  7:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That seems pretty complicated, alternative nostril breathing is complicated enough! And pinching the nose in jalandhara interferes with the neck action (best imagined by drawing circles with your chin). For me, the best yoga practices are a combination of simplicity and playfulness.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4368 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2020 :  8:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi lightandlove,

What you are describing is a combination of alternate nostril breathing, dynamic jalandhara bandha and yoni mudra kumbhaka. Combining alternate nostril breathing with spinal breathing is described in lesson addition 41.1. This would cover the part of the practice where you are moving the attention up and down the spine with each inhalation and exhalation. Combining dynamic jalandhara bandha with yoni mudra kumbhaka is described in lesson 281. That would cover the part where you are holding your nose during the head rotations.

So, it would be a natural progression of things that are already described in the main lessons. The effect would be to increase purification of the side channels (ida and pingala), as you would be activating each side channel alternately, with each inhalation.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

lightandlove

Germany
85 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2020 :  04:02:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
That seems pretty complicated, alternative nostril breathing is complicated enough! And pinching the nose in jalandhara interferes with the neck action (best imagined by drawing circles with your chin). For me, the best yoga practices are a combination of simplicity and playfulness.

Hi dogboy, thanks for your reply. I agree to simplicity and playfulness.
Pinching the nose in dynamic jalandhara is very clunky in the beginning, but works as well not pinching it after some practice. It also "becomes a second nature", and is a very enjoyable enhancement.
Same goes for adding the alternate nostril breathing. It may seem extremely complicated, but if stable in alternate nostril breathing and pinching the nose itself it is not so much so.

Thank you Christi for your reply!
quote:
So, it would be a natural progression of things that are already described in the main lessons. The effect would be to increase purification of the side channels (ida and pingala), as you would be activating each side channel alternately, with each inhalation.

Agree
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000