Enlightenment Milestones
 Desire, bhakti and dispassion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  10:02:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

One from my inbox today:

Q. Since finding myself in a completely new place, consciously speaking, I have noticed the clear lack of desire to know or even any Bhakti.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

A. Yes, this experience can accompany the later stages of discrimination (viveka) between what is real and what is not real. We are moving away from that which is not real, which is false identification with mental objects, towards what is real. When this process becomes strong, we can enter a state that seems without desire, as our desires (attachments and aversions) are falling away.
Beyond this is a stage called "vairagya", which means "dispassion”. It is an advanced stage on the path, where we are no longer searching for the truth, but simply abiding with "what is". It is accompanied by peacefulness and a state of bliss. Remaining in this state leads to unity.

It can be useful to use self-inquiry practices to help move beyond the stage of discrimination. For example, asking the question "who is it that has no desire?", or "who am I before this thought arises?".

Interestingly the state of vairagya can also swing the other way. It can be accompanied by a powerful outpouring of bhakti, to help others on the path. So, everything can change again.

Sounds like good things are happening!

There is more on this subject in lesson 327: The evolutionary stages of mind.

Christi
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000