Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Charities / Non-Profits
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  1:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
For the holidays this year, I will be making donations to various charitable organizations in the names of my family and friends. I've come across a few great causes, but am still looking for a few more.

What are your favorite charities/non-profits? If possible, please provide a bit of information about the cause and/or a link to the website.

Namaste,
Brett

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  2:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

The Smile Train gives cleft-palate surgery to children who need it but can't afford it, generally in poorer countries. There are things I really like about this charity. One is that all of your money goes to the surgery, as the charity has already been endowed by donors who pay for all promotions. Another is that they generally use (as far as possible) local doctors in those countries to do the surgery, sometimes training them I believe.

www.SmileTrain.org

Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  5:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks David, that is a wonderful cause. It's amazing to think that a small donation can completely change a child's life.
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  1:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For anyone else who may be looking, I came across this great site yesterday which has helped out quite a bit.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm

Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  3:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Brett, thanks in return! That's a good site to refer to!
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  6:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The one I like is an Irish charity called Goal. It has had less than 5% admin expenses averaged over the past 29 years, which is quite a record.
http://www.goal.ie/
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  10:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are all the institutions run by Mother Teresa in India. And there's one called Goonj, which, apart from money, collects everything that people junk,including old clothes, books and partially used notebooks, and sorts them and sends them to the poorest villages and places in India. They have volunteers who act as 'collection centres'. They even make sanitary napkins out of old clothes for women in remote areas who cannot afford them. You can see http://www.goonj.org/ .

Then there is Friendicoes that does an amazing lot of work for stray animals with pitifully little resources (lot of voluntary work) and works with wildlife sos to treat and rehabilitate abused wildlife too.

Edited by - sadhak on Dec 14 2006 10:20:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  11:29:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally wouldn't donate to Mother Teresa's charity. Have a look at the following, and make up your own mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Teresa

For me, the very fact that the destination of donated funds is not made public is enough for me to say no. No secrecy in the spending of my donated funds (to a large charity), thankyou very much!!

Edited by - david_obsidian on Dec 15 2006 2:50:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  2:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have always liked Seva foundation. They began by giving eye operations in Nepal and have sinced expanded in many areas. Ram Dass and Wavy Gravy are closely involved with them
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  3:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Might I suggest some folks consider donating some money to AYP this Christmas?

In the case of AYP, Yogani has gone to a number of expenses which are not yet covered. Yogani requested that donations are given only to an amount for which we believe we have received the equivalent already from AYP(don't remember the exact words -- better prose of course). That was one of the few times I really wished hard that I was a millionaire.

On my own side, I made a donation only with the request that Yogani spend it on whiskey and cigars if he wants to. From what he wrote back I think he has not spent in whiskey and cigars, but he has still covered the terms of my request -- he spends it on whiskey and cigars -- if he wants to.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Dec 15 2006 3:00:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  3:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks David. I was going to suggest this myself. Just wasn't sure if I should.. since the topic header was "Charities / Non-Profits "... but since you have brought it up...

Here is what Yogani has to say about it..
quote:

Posted - Nov 04 2005 : 2:41:52 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Folks:

The "helping" discussion here is much appreciated. I'm not very comfortable engaging directly in the pubic money raising discussion, so pardon my silence. Individual inquiries about it can be sent to my email. That goes for both donations and "deep discount" quantity book purchases. On the latter, there is some good news. It looks like we will be able to ship direct from London, UK, as well as Tennessee, USA, so that bodes well for the shipping costs to the UK and Europe. More on that soon in the Quantity Discount Topic.

At this point I am not in a position to set up for automatic money transfers on a regular basis on this end. Maybe Paypal can do it from the sender's end, though I have not spotted that option in there so far.

For those who are interested, here is the direct AYP/Paypal Donation Link. Any donations should only be for the perception of value received already. I am most comfortable with that.

The guru is in you.

Edited by - Shanti on Dec 15 2006 4:06:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  4:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti said: since the topic header was "Charities / Non-Profits

Well, if you generalize it to 'things worth donating to', we're on topic.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  4:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool.. AYP is my favorite "'things worth donating to',"
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  4:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just thought of one more thing to add for AYP...
For those who are not comfortable using Paypal or a credit card online (like Me!!!), contact Yogani directly to make other arrangements.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000