New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  8:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Doc, I'm going to read this tomorrow.

"A Treatise to Prove That No One Can Harm the Man Who Does Not Injure Himself".

Thanks again:

VIL
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  8:53:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to be reading this tomorrow, too, Doc. Have you read this? I'm not all that familiar with Saints. Do you know anything about this writing? It's funny, since I did a search on the material you listed and I found this, and yesterday I was reading on Da'ath, the Abyss, in the Kabbalah, which is deemed "The Dark Night of the Soul". Couldn't have been more perfect: :

http://www.ourladyswarriors.org/sai...darknite.htm

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Dec 19 2006 9:03:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  12:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by VIL

I'm going to be reading this tomorrow, too, Doc. Have you read this? I'm not all that familiar with Saints. Do you know anything about this writing? It's funny, since I did a search on the material you listed and I found this, and yesterday I was reading on Da'ath, the Abyss, in the Kabbalah, which is deemed "The Dark Night of the Soul". Couldn't have been more perfect: :

http://www.ourladyswarriors.org/sai...darknite.htm

VIL

Hi Vil, Doc & All,

I posted this link (below) in the Tantra section, along with a fairly detailed post related to the "Tantra and Immaculate Conception" thread started by Ether.

Reading your comments here, it seemed like a perfect fit for this thread as well (EXCELLENT article on "things esoteric", including related symbolism Da'ath, Qabalah, etc.)

http://kalignosis.com/book/21Liquid...ousWater.php

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  08:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Kirtman. From the article you posted:

quote:

Alchemy is a compound word that can be broken down into Al-Chemy. Al is Allah, or El, the God of Light, and chem is khem or the greek kimia, meaning to fuse or cast a metal. Therefore, Alchemy is the Chemistry of God, the fusion of man with divinity.

The wise man throughout history has known Alchemy is a spiritual allegory for a revolutionary psychology that first burns the ego into ashes and later raises the Phoenix, the Christified Soul.

So true, and I need to devote more time to the article later today.

Thanks, again:

quote:
christi: It is interesting (to me anyway), that when Jesus talked about who he was (which he seemed to do quite a bit), he didn’t mention love. I once heard about a Sufi teacher who lived in Northern India, who was asked about the end game in meditation and whether or not it was divine love. He didn’t want to talk about it, but finally when he had been asked three times (you always have to ask divine masters three times in India for some unknown reason), he finally said “there is a state beyond love”.

Christi,

This information might interest you:

quote:
..."love itself can be a veil, since it blinds the seeker from realizing that he is at unity even with the One Whom he loves. When the seeker himself disappears, he enters a condition of annihilation in the presence of God—faná—the way a candle's flame vanishes before the sun. Although this state is nothingness in relation to the seeker, it is baqá (eternity, subsistence) in relation to God. "This is the plane whereon the vestiges of all things are destroyed in the traveler..."

http://johnwiegley.com/Entry.aspx?id=31

Here are different stages that the Mystic Wayfarer Travels:
http://bahai-library.org/writings/b...v/index.html

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Dec 20 2006 08:44:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

ajna

India
59 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  08:46:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit ajna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

My 2 cents on the topic of God's will.

Sages have opined that nothing happens without God's will (including seemingly horrendous happenings). Even a blade of grass does not move. So are we robots dancing to the already written script?? Well may be we are slightly better than the robots, the dreamy characters in the cosmic dream of the God!! The present is created in the friction between the past and the future (which exist only as memories/imagination). So is there really a present!!

Cheers

Edited by - ajna on Dec 20 2006 08:48:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  08:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there really a past and future?
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  12:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ajna:

Sages have opined that nothing happens without God's will (including seemingly horrendous happenings). So are we robots dancing to the already written script??

Ah, yes....the proverbial 'Fickle Finger of Fate', and the ominous specter of 'Divine Predestination' surface once again!

Who is it that asks these questions, and who is it that answers them? What is the relationship between the question and the individual asking or answering the question? Past, Present, and Future...these things are Delusions and Illusions, are they not

If predestination is a ruling factor in our collective and personal realities, but free-will choices and decisions are not, then logic would suggest that the Will of God seriously lacks a harmonious clarity of consciousness....in manifesting so much apparent chaos, confusion, delusion, and illusion for so many people for such a long time in the course of human history. And if you really believe that to be true, what then?

Hari OM!

Doc
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  4:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
*****LONG POST ALERT****

quote:
yogani:

Hi Yoda:

I don't necessarily buy the "reality is a projection of our thoughts" idea; as in, nothing exists except through our projection of it. Sometimes "serious" jnana (discrimination) can lead to the nonsensical in this respect - "That truck that just ran over me doesn't exist, and neither do I, anymore!"

However, our interpretation of reality and thinking about what it is (and acting/karma-ing that out) is just as you say, building layers and layers of "knee-jerks" (samskaras) in the subconscious mind/nervous system, and then we find ourselves living within our own illusions, often not even knowing we are in that mode. And so it goes.

Of course, the full scope of yoga is for unwinding all of this, and the whole thing can be taken back to the original "happy" of stillness/self in action.

It takes a while... With effective methods, progress is noticeable. Watching illusions dissolve is one of the most fun things there is, though it can be a bit scary in the beginning: "Pleeeease, don't take my illusions away! They are all that I think I have!"
What's that about?

The guru is in you.

I think that yogani's post applies to the question concerning the past, present, future.

Using the example above, and the "truck" as a metaphor for time; regardless if we believe that the truck does/or doesn't exist, and we're run over, the truck is still "real".

In other words, regardless if we are truly in the present moment, the sun will still set, it will rain, and the sun will appear from behind the clouds once again. This is how it is in the phenomenal world.

There are two states of being that I think people confuse, one with the other.

You will hear of someone who is truly living in the present moment, has no past and no future, and that they are truly content, happy, blissful, et al., and I believe this to be true and is a reality in itself.

But if you ask them if they did so and so yesterday, they will readily admit that the past exists by recounting events from the previous day. And if you ask them if they will do so and so tomorrow, they will admit that the future exists by stating what they will do. In other words, the past, present, and future still exists in the external world, although the person is living within the present and may consider the past, present and future an illusion in comparison to this moment - or being at-onement with themselves.

Then there is another state of existence that is truly what the Enlightened Souls were talking about when stated that the past, present, future are One. It is the state of consciousness beyond time, and encapsulates all of the gross worlds of phenomenal existence of: AUM. Those who truly understand the past, present, future, as it relates to the awakened state, dream state, deep sleep state - how they are interrelated, integrated, and with this knowledge, controls them all. These Individuals are truly Rulers within The Kingdom of God.

quote:
...One of the created phenomena is the dream. Behold how many secrets are deposited therein, how many wisdoms treasured up, how many worlds concealed. Observe, how thou art asleep in a dwelling, and its doors are barred; on a sudden thou findest thyself in a far-off city, which thou enterest without moving thy feet or wearying thy body; without using thine eyes, thou seest; without taxing thine ears, thou hearest; without a tongue, thou speakest. And perchance when ten years are gone, thou wilt witness in the outer world the very things thou hast dreamed tonight.

Now there are many wisdoms to ponder in [33] the dream, which none but the people of this Valley can comprehend in their true elements. First, what is this world, where without eye and ear and hand and tongue a man puts all of these to use? Second, how is it that in the outer world thou seest today the effect of a dream, when thou didst vision it in the world of sleep some ten years past? Consider the difference between these two worlds and the mysteries which they conceal, that thou mayest attain to divine confirmations and heavenly discoveries and enter the regions of holiness.

God, the Exalted, hath placed these signs in men, to the end that philosophers may not deny the mysteries of the life beyond nor belittle that which hath been promised them. For some hold to reason and deny whatever the reason comprehendeth not, and yet weak minds can never grasp the matters which we have related, but only the Supreme, Divine Intelligence can comprehend them:

How can feeble reason encompass the Qur'án,
Or the spider snare a phoenix in his web?:
Baha'u'llah

http://bahai-library.org/writings/b.../sv/706.html

AUM:

quote:
1) AUM. The VIRAT is said to be the sum total of all the quintuplicated five elements and their effects. This is called the gross body of the Atman (soul).

Waking is that state, where the senses give rise to the knowledge of objects. The Atman, which identifies Itself with both the waking state and the gross body, is known as the VISHVA.

These three (the gross body, the waking state and the VISHVA) together are represented by the first letter 'A' in the syllable 'AUM'.

2) The five unquintuplicated rudimentary elements and their effect, the subtle body, both together constitute what is called the HIRANYAGARBHA. The material subtle body has seventeen parts, viz. the five vital forces, the ten organs of perception and action, the mind and the intellect. This is said to be the subtle body of the Atman (soul).

3) When the sense-organs are quiescent or withdrawn, the knowledge arising out of impressions of the waking state and the imaginary objects there perceived, are together called the dream state. The TAIJASA is the Atman which identifies Itself with both the dream state and the subtle body. These three, i.e. -- the subtle body, the dream state and the TAIJASA -- are represented by the second letter 'U' in 'AUM'.

4) Bound up with reflection of Pure-consciousness, the Nescience, which hides the Atman and is the cause of both the gross and the subtle bodies, is called the 'AVYAAKRTA' or undifferentiated. This is the causal body of the Atman. This is neither existent nor non-existent, nor even both existent and non-existent; neither different from, nor identical with, nor both different from and identical with, the Atman. This Nescience is neither composite, nor non-composite, nor both composite and non- composite, but removable by the knowledge of the identity of Brahman and the Atman alone.

When all thoughts cease and the determinative intellect, too, lapses into its causal condition, the state of deep-sleep appears. The personality appropriating these two, i.e., the causal-body and the deep- sleep state is described as 'PRAJNA'.

These three (the causal-body Nescience, the deep-sleep state and the PRAJNA) are symbolised by the last letter 'M' in 'AUM'.

Now, 'A' the waking-personality, should be resolved into 'U', the dream-personality, and the 'U' into 'M' i.e., the deep-sleep personality. Again, the 'M' should be reduced into 'AUM' and the 'AUM' into 'I'. I am, the Atman, the Witness of all, the absolute of the nature of Pure Consciousness; I am neither Nescience nor even its effect but I am Brahman alone, Eternally Pure, Ever Enlightened, Eternally Free and Existence Absolute. I am the Bliss Absolute, One without a second and the Innermost Consciousness.

Remaining in this state of absolute identification is what is called 'SAMADHI' or the Super-conscious state.

'Thou art That', 'I am Brahman', 'Consciousness-Bliss is Brahman', 'This Self is Brahman', etc. -- all these Srutis, i.e., the Upanisadic sayings (known as Mahavakyas or the great dictum) are direct evidences to the identity of the Atman, the individual soul, and Brahman. This is what is called 'PANCHKARANAM' or quintuplication. Adi Sankaracharya
788-820 CE

http://www.swamij.com/shankara-panchikaranam.htm

quote:
Thus, too, Luqmán, who had drunk from the wellspring of wisdom and tasted of the waters of mercy, in proving to his son Nathan the planes of resurrection and death, advanced the dream as an evidence and an example. We relate it here, that through this evanescent Servant a memory may endure of that youth of the school of Divine Unity, that elder of the art of instruction and the Absolute. He said: "O Son, if thou art able not to sleep, then thou art able not to die. And if thou art able not to waken after sleep, then thou shalt be able not to rise after death." Baha'u'llah

http://bahai-library.org/writings/b.../sv/706.html

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Dec 20 2006 5:53:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

ajna

India
59 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  12:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit ajna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Etherfish - As we all know, past, present and future depend on the conception of time. Time seems to be real in the phenomenal realm, but apparently not in the God's realm (transcendental realm). So we are programmed to perceive time (past, present and future), but God is not limited by time. So time (past, present and future) is both real and unreal.

Hi Doc - One day God will wake up from his cosmic dream and say Ahhh... what a bad nightmare i had. Before that if we press upon him the idea that we are suffering, well his answer may be "Who is suffering?", YOU do not exist, it is all me!!

Hi VIL - Thanks for the detailed post.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  01:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ajna:

"Hi Doc - One day God will wake up from his cosmic dream and say Ahhh... what a bad nightmare i had. Before that if we press upon him the idea that we are suffering, well his answer may be "Who is suffering?", YOU do not exist, it is all me!!"

LOL Oh, yeah....Totally Mad thinking, right?

http://www.oldsoftware.com/images/mad.jpg

Hari OM!

Doc
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  6:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Vil,
Thanks for the great posts and links. I always forget how great the Bahai's are. Some of this stuff is pretty deep... I'll have to digest it.
Love and Light
Christi
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  7:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome, Christi, and I agree that there is a wealth of information to digest. And although I'm not a Bahai, or member of any organized religion, I agree with the Teachings of Baha'u'llah - as I do all God Realized Souls:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Dec 21 2006 7:57:54 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000