Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Solar Plexus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2006 :  1:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
When I've been trying to fall asleep, I lay on my back and put my hands folded on my solar plexus, simply because it's the most comfortable position for me...yet when I do this after a few minutes I start to experience heightened states of consciousness.

Is there a reason why when I put my hands there, that this happens?

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  7:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It sounds like you are inducing nauli mudra, possibly.

Laying on my back I always feel a bit of activity, as my belly sinks into the spine more.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  8:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your reply Kyman,

You may be right that it is somewhat like the nauli, or uddiyana bandha. I think that perhaps I am stimulating the manipura chakra with the energy coming from my hands (my hands feel very open). Somehow this combined with laying down is awakening the kundalini. I achieve the same sort of mystical state that I do in meditation with this.

EDIT: I just found something which could explain it a bit:

quote:
"Solar plexus is often called the abdominal brain. It is an important centre of the nerves, connected with the sympathetic nervous system. It is located in the Epigastric region, behind the pit of the stomach on either side of the spinal column. It has control on the main internal organs of man. It plays a much more important part than is generally recognised. It takes an important part in the control of emotions and of various bodily functions. It is composed of white and grey brain matter. It is one of the most vital parts of the body. A blow over the solar plexus is well-known to boxing men as a ready means of rendering an opponent unconscious or at any rate helpless. It is the store-house of Prana. It is the power-house. It is the most important of all the Adharas (supports) of the body that are sixteen in number. It is a known fact that men have been instantly killed by a severe blow over the solar plexus. The solar plexus is literally the sun of the nervous system. When the sun is shining harmoniously, the whole of the physical system is harmonious. It radiates strength and energy to all parts of the body. Thoughts and Prana, when directed towards this centre through Pranayama, will stimulate and awaken the sunshine latent therein."

-Swami Sivananda, The Science of Pranayama

Edited by - Scott on Nov 19 2006 9:14:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  12:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're very welcome.

Might I ask where you got that quote? Is there a link?

Edited by - Kyman on Nov 20 2006 12:23:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  01:16:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Kyman!

You can download a free PDF e-book copy of Swami Sivananda's excellent book "The Science of Pranayama" at the Divine Life Society website here:

http://www.dlshq.org/download/pranayama.pdf

It's an excellent read, as are all of his works. Enjoy!

Hari Om!

Doc

Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  11:08:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
They are great reading material, yet it seems to me that he isn't so experienced in all of the techniques he discusses. It seems like a lot of the time it's merely stuff that's been copied from other material...for instance the swara yoga recommended in his Kundalini ebook.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000