Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

capucine

France
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  09:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi parvati9,

Really, what a long and precise answer to my questions ! It’s very clear.

First, no, english is not my native tongue, it’s french and I use english only for this forum in my daily life. I know I’m not good and not fluent at english and I learn plenty of new vocabulary here (it’s good !). I don’t have the ability to summarize your presentation !
Of course, with “clean”, I wanted to say “how to destroy ama” I not want to keep it.

I’m agree textbooks are the best way to understand this subject. But for me it’s not really easy to find. Do you know some good websites too ?

All my life, I’ve got a strong hunger and appetite and a strong immunity, easily angry, not patient. Strong fire, I like salad even in winter. I’ve always been thin (with medium bones) although I eat a lot. I assume I’m pitta dominant. From what you wrote, I think I’ve got not too much ama because since I meditate I feel most of the time peaceful, happy and more patient.

I begin to meditate more than one year to calm me, to have less stress for stupid things and it worked very well. With meditation and later prana movements (I don’t know if it’s the same thing as kundalini), at the beginning, this fire seemed to increase and I take care to ground.

Last summer, I lost weight and it was a problem because I’m thin. Then I had to eat more vegetal oils and changed a little my diet. But reading your text, I learn that’s winter is calming pitta. So I’m afraid to lose weight again next summer.

How to calm the digestive fire in summer ? I already eat full of raw vegetables during summer.
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  09:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Will Power

Hi Parvati, this is an interesting thread. Thanks!

Many years ago I was diagnosed Vatta body type (and Pitta personality) by an ayurvedic consultant. Easy to spot, I am underweight. However I have always had very good appetite, and I started thinking that close people that I thought they were Vata they could not be Vata because they constantly postponed their food even hours and even take more than an hour for a meal (stops between dishes, dessert, etc.), when I absolutely hate that.
Anyway I am interested in Ama burning practices specially for Vata (sometimes I experience a bit unconfortable in some joints when it is very cold or rainy). I remember that the ayurvedic consultant told me to eat cooked apples for several days as breakfast, and some herbs that I don't remember.

I have also read that hot baths with salt is detox, which I guess is the same as purging Ama out of the body, which for me is the same as cleaning/destroying Amma. Is it a good procedure? I don't know why, but I usually get wrinkling fingers quite soon under water. I think it is a very relaxing practise, and if it is detox all the better.

I have dermatitis seborreica (oily skin) which improves with sweating through exercise.

Other procedures for removing Amma for Vata type besides eating appropiately for your dosha?

Welcome Will Power
Salt baths are fantastic detox for Vata but with the dermatitis exercise caution. Dermatitis is indication of Pitta imbalance and Pitta is aggravated by salt. If you do use this therapeutic remedy, perhaps start with a small amount of salt and you could compensate by avoiding sour and salty food in your diet for awhile. You could also burn some pleasing incense - nice odors make Pitta happy and content. Pitta is aggravated by sour, salty and pungent.

Vata is balanced by regularity, routine, sufficient rest, getting to bed before 10pm every night. Cooked apples are good for your constitution. Consider yourself fortunate if you've always had a strong appetite and been sensible regarding regular meals. If I remember correctly, joint issues are Kapha imbalance ... and Kapha is not happy in cold and damp, so joint problems worsen in that weather.

Thank you for your interest and response.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  09:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by capucine

Hi parvati9,

Really, what a long and precise answer to my questions ! It’s very clear.

First, no, english is not my native tongue, it’s french and I use english only for this forum in my daily life. I know I’m not good and not fluent at english and I learn plenty of new vocabulary here (it’s good !). I don’t have the ability to summarize your presentation !
Of course, with “clean”, I wanted to say “how to destroy ama” I not want to keep it.

I’m agree textbooks are the best way to understand this subject. But for me it’s not really easy to find. Do you know some good websites too ?

All my life, I’ve got a strong hunger and appetite and a strong immunity, easily angry, not patient. Strong fire, I like salad even in winter. I’ve always been thin (with medium bones) although I eat a lot. I assume I’m pitta dominant. From what you wrote, I think I’ve got not too much ama because since I meditate I feel most of the time peaceful, happy and more patient.

I begin to meditate more than one year to calm me, to have less stress for stupid things and it worked very well. With meditation and later prana movements (I don’t know if it’s the same thing as kundalini), at the beginning, this fire seemed to increase and I take care to ground.

Last summer, I lost weight and it was a problem because I’m thin. Then I had to eat more vegetal oils and changed a little my diet. But reading your text, I learn that’s winter is calming pitta. So I’m afraid to lose weight again next summer.

How to calm the digestive fire in summer ? I already eat full of raw vegetables during summer.

Hi Capucine
Sounds like you have just about perfect health already. Do you want it even more perfect? Good for you. Your English is fine and contributions welcome. Be vigilant regarding anger, don't let it get out of control.

You may have plenty of Vata too. In Summer, get to bed early and a nap during the day is okay too. Regular meals. Lots and lots of fruit in the Summer to balance both Vata and Pitta. Many vegetables are astringent which is good for Pitta but aggravates Vata (makes you thin maybe). So perhaps more fruit will help. Also more desserts - pie, cake - preferably organic whole grain and organic natural sweetener.

Even though salt isn't good for Pitta and even though Summer is worst time for Pitta, you may still need some salt but watch for signs of aggravated Pitta, like anger or skin rash. Salt balances Vata and will help retain water to keep your weight. Wear a hat in the sun and seek shade whenever possible. Lots of rest and sleep will help keep your weight. If you feel like it, you can eat every 2 or 3 hours, but don't snack inbetween.

I don't know of any good websites. A textbook is really necessary. Can you find an online source for the textbook and get them to send it to you?

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  09:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, my delivery was bad. I actually think you would like it.

I took on online course for essential oils. It was fun.
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  10:32:58 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Note to the readers

This is for those who are serious about learning Ayurveda. A lot of stuff has come up. The only stuff you need to learn at this point is the stuff in the numbered sections. There are 8 sections so far. Please take the quiz. The quiz is a reminder indicating your comprehension of the subject matter in those sections.

The important stuff has been predigested for you. It's easy. It's simplified. It's being presented sequentially according to complexity. Layer by layer. In numbered sections. When you've had enough, stop reading and do something else.

It ordinarily takes a long time to learn Ayurveda. This is a simplified yet intensified approach. My intent and purpose is to arouse your interest and peak your appetite for Ayurveda. The rest is up to you.

There are several ways interest can be shown. All questions answered, all comments appreciated, all suggestions considered (unless they're inappropriate or otherwise offensive). Ways. The ways require you readers to post your progress, your thoughts, your reaction to the material.

So far you're doing great. Keep it up. As long as sufficient interest is shown, the instruction will continue. I've got time now, but may not be able to spend much time later on with the topic. That's why I'm pushing now. If the pace is too fast for you, then take a break and come back later. If you have any difficulty with the material, make comment or ask question.

Another option: Continue topic without an instructor.

Your reaction to the quiz would be appreciated. Did you take it? How did you do? Did you avoid taking it? Why?

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  10:36:20 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay Lalow. I thought it was pretty funny.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  10:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
9. Warm and cool tastes

WARM TASTES: Sour, Salty, Pungent

COOL TASTES: Sweet, Bitter, Astringent

Knowing the temperature characteristic of taste and food is useful in balancing doshas. Following are some examples.

Example. Let's say I love to hike and somehow have got myself stranded in a late Spring snowstorm. There is fresh garlic and dried fish in my backpack. These tastes are both pungent. If I cook some fish soup with garlic and eat it, what will it do?

Cooking adds heat. The garlic and fish add heat. So this food is really going to heat up my body. That heat will balance Kapha and heat up Vata, both of which are sensitive to cold.

(Vata isn't supposed to overdo pungent or consume it on a regular basis because it is drying and Vata is already dry. An occasional garlicky meal for Vata, however, is calming and grounding, especially in Winter. In the textbooks, garlic is often indicated as acceptable for Vata ... I think for the reason explained here.)

Let's take another example. It's the middle of Summer and I'm Pitta. If I don't get to an air conditioner soon, I feel a panic attack coming on. So I buy a cold fruit drink and consume it. I also order ice tea and sit in an air conditioned restaurant. Both these drinks will help relieve Pitta's irritation with the hot weather. They are cold, the fruit is sweet and the tea bitter. Cooling tastes that balance Pitta. Of course the AC also helps a lot.

(The caffeine in tea isn't really good for Pitta as it is pungent. Pittas love intensity and often crave caffeine, but should avoid becoming addicted to it.)

love
parvati

Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  11:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
10. Doshas in relationship

...............V<--------------P-------------->K...............

Vata and Kapha are primarily opposites, with a few exceptions like sensitivity to cold. In general Vata is balanced by making it more Kapha-like. And Kapha is balanced by making it more Vata-like.

Vata is the dosha of mobility, movement. Kapha is the dosha of stability, rest. Kaphas don't like exercise very much and they're not fond of moving around a whole lot either. But kaphas are great at stress reduction and maintaining a consistently calm demeanor. Vatas aren't at all good with stress reduction, sometimes they seem to thrive on it. Vatas are high energy types who find it hard to relax and sitting down 20 minutes or more may be impossible for them, unless they are collapsing from exhaustion. Kaphas thrive on routine and hardly ever get exhausted. Vatas hate routine and find it too boring.

Pitta is sensitive to heat and adores cold in general. Pitta in our constitutions mediates between Vata and Kapha in terms of speed and energy regulation. Pitta is the principle of practicality and common sense. Whereas Kaphas have slow metabolism and sluggish energy, Vatas have fast metabolism and hyper off the charts energy. From Pitta's point of view, one is too slow, the other too fast. Both extremes make Pitta judgmental and impatient. A lot of things make Pitta impatient and irritable.

It's one of Pitta's functions to control the necessary energy adjustments in order to regulate Vata and Kapha. Pittas are excellent energy managers. They can be very demanding and bossy, but often represent the voice of reason and common sense in the midst of chaotic or crisis situations. Pittas are prone to overheated blood and skin rashes and can get angry if their meals are delayed. It is very important for Pittas to stay cool or sometimes cold and consume plenty of sweet, bitter, and astringent taste, especially in Summer. These measures help balance Pitta dosha.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  12:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
11. Dual-doshas

According to Svoboda most people are dual-dosha. Even so... we must be very clear about each stand alone dosha, before considering dual-doshas. It is hard enough to get a thorough understanding of each dosha by itself, what it represents, and how to balance it. So we first focus on mastering the single doshas, one at a time. Dual-doshas are constitutions where the primary and secondary doshas are in equal proportion, or close enough in percentage to both be dominant.

Think about constitution. Your constitution is comprised of all three doshas in various percentages. The highest percentage dosha will need the most attention in terms of balancing. But what if your secondary dosha is acting up? Ah. Not so easy to balance, is it? Both doshas will need to be considered, both doshas will need to be balanced. This is where the real fun and skill comes in

Dual-doshas are:
VATA-PITTA
VATA-KAPHA
PITTA-KAPHA

Just be aware of dual-doshas at this point. We're not going to elaborate yet.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 01 2018 12:11:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  1:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
12. Your Ayurvedic Constitutional Assessment

If you do the same assessment several times, you may find that your replies vary. They may vary with the season, your mood, present life circumstances, etc. In actuality your constitution is permanent, it never changes. However it takes time to nail it down. Balancing the doshas is a work in progress because we aren't yet definite about our constitution. If you have a professional evaluation and feel it is correct, go with that.

Ayurveda is best considered an LBD project (Learn By Doing). We practice using the techniques to balance our doshas. And we experiment balancing the doshas, based on the best approximation of our constitution we can arrive at. It will refine and become more accurate as you gain experience. You will end up proving your constitution by learning which food, which therapeutics, what routines restore health and ensure happiness.

It is suggested when taking the questionnaire that you determine with each question if more than one answer is accurate. Often it will be. For one question it may be 1/2 Vata and 1/2 Kapha. For another question it may be 1/2 Pitta and 1/2 Kapha. When there is clearly only one answer to the question, it is given a whole point for that question. If the answer is split between two doshas, give each dosha a 1/2 point for the question. When tallying up the doshas, it should equal the total number of questions.

If you are able to use a textbook, read up on the doshas and see if you can identify with any one dosha, or maybe two out of the three. Pay attention to the questions as they have valuable Ayurvedic information in concise, easily discernible form.

Why does Frawley say Kaphas like "water, sailing, flowers, cosmetics, business"? Kapha is the water dosha so that explains the water and sailing. Okay lookee here. On the Svoboda questionnaire it says "Pittas love to engineer ideas into practical uses, and have little direct interest in the day-to-day details of running a project or business. Kaphas however manage well, they make any business run smoothly". Another questionnaire might say Kaphas are good administrators. Well that explains why they would have an interest in business. It's what they're good at.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  5:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot Parvati. I won´t answer the quiz since I consider it obvious. Keep it up!
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  6:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Will Power
Thanks so much for your feedback Glad to hear the quiz was obvious. The goal in that first segment was to focus on simple easy principles for a firm foundation. Maybe it was a success. Yay. I hope others feel as you do.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  6:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
13. Suggestions for balancing the doshas - part I

Calling this part I because it seems incomplete. Maybe it can be added onto later with part II. There's plenty room for improvement in these suggestions, please improvise. However they'll get you started in the right direction.

General guidelines:

First deterine which dosha is aggravated. You may have to take your best shot at it. It's usually your primary and/or secondary dosha(s) which is/are aggravated.

1. If Vata is aggravated, balance with regular hot meals, lots of soupy cheesy meals, sweet-sour-salty tastes, sufficient rest, bedtime before 10pm, sit still more, slow down thoughts, be creative, in Winter especially stay warm, out of the wind, spend time in the sun.

2. If Kapha is aggravated, balance with more exercise, move around a lot, find an interesting hobby or creative outlet, get out and socialize, take a drive to a lake, limit sleep to 8 or 9 hours, balance with lots of pungent and astringent with some bitter taste, hot meals, spend time in the sun.

3. If Pitta is aggravated, avoid conditions and situations which cause anger, keep the body cool and stay peaceful, ensure regular meals, if not Winter eat all the raw food you like, balance with sweet-astringent-bitter taste, burn sweet incense like Sandalwood, stay mostly out of the sun except in Winter, late Fall or early Spring.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 01 2018 7:09:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

capucine

France
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2018 :  04:13:37 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, pavarti9. Really interesting !

For your answers and advices to my questions, it’s funny because in summer I wear a hat all the time (even it’s not very fashion) and I seek shadow. I live near the North seaside, the temperature in summer is no more 25°C and I really appreciate. Ten years ago, I lived in a hotter climate, 35-40°C in summer, too hot, it was horrible for me.

I never stay lying on the beach to brown, I just dislike it. I tried one time just to catch a sort of hot fever, it was horrible ! It’s funny too because eating industrial food leads to a skin rash the days after, like a ama release. And like you said, too much inner anger leads me to overheated blood : fever like a sort of flue, and bleeding (menstruations and nose). Aryuveda explains all !

So I keep your advices in mind : more sweet and fruits in summer, a little salt, to sleep earlier.

thank you again for your advices and lessons
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2018 :  07:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Parvati,

Enjoying the lessons. Had read some of Robert Svoboda's books, and I'll get the Ayurveda Bible.

You definitely are at a point where you need to teach, as the saying goes, "If you know something, teach someone." This thread is great. You could also look to give an workshop an a local yoga studio, community center, or public library. In this way, you may reach more people in your community.

Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2018 :  08:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Intermission

GOD & THE LOST INSTRUCTION MANUAL
a poem or something

Over the ages ... for eons now ... many wise ones and sages, as well as common folk, have lamented:

Where is the instruction manual?
What has happened to our instruction manual?
Why were we not given an instruction manual?

We need to find our way
Without the instruction manual we are lost
Can God be so negligent that he forgot the instruction manual?

Is that possible?
Where are you God?
Hello God. Are you there?
Life is hard God
What did you do with the instruction manual God?

It's like we went camping and forgot the can opener

So what do we do now?
God forgot to give us the can opener

We are stranded
Bereft
Alone
Naked
Desperate

Where's the damn instruction manual?

Yeah. No wonder some of us are angry or even gave up

In our heart of hearts ... we know something's wrong with this picture

Something we require for our safety and survival is missing
Something vitally important
Our instruction manual is gone
Vanished in a puff of smoke
Evaporated
Without a trace
No trail to follow
No clue

It must be God's fault
God is bad
God is stupid
God is asleep
God is a failure
God is dead
There is no God

If there were a God surely he would be smart enough
Competent enough
Loving enough
To make sure he didn't fail to provide ...

The instruction manual

For the journey

God used to be good and wise and used to love us
Then he got distracted
He found something better
And then he was gone
He left us alone
And he left with the instruction manual

Would God do that?
Do you believe so?
Really?
Why?
The world is too depressing?
The smart people have given up on God?
There never was an instruction manual?

God never intended to give us the instruction manual
God is greedy
God wanted to keep the instruction manual all to himself
God didn't want to share the instruction manual with us
God doesn't really love us
If he loved us
He would have given us the instruction manual
Wouldn't he?

And so the humans complain
On and on and on and on and on and on and on
Forever it seems ...

Until one day

Some dirty kid in a cave says
What's this?

And no one can believe it
They think the kid is stupid or loopy or both
But that kid thinks he has discovered
What has the kid discovered?

Well, it seems remote and far fetched and unreasonable
To say the least
But that idiot kid
Says he discovered
Of all things

The lost instruction manual!!!

The kid tells his story

So the kid wraps the manual
In his cloak
And carefully very carefully
You see the kid knows
How valuable his find really is
So he carefully makes his way
To the village rishi
The shaman
The wiseman
His teacher
And hands over his find

The rishi exclaims
What is this?
What have you brought me today
My friend and student
What have you there?

So the rishi calls a convention
A convocation
A meeting

Of all his colleagues
All the wise men meet
And discuss the kid's find

And they determine
Lo and behold
The lost instruction manual
Has been found
It really has been found
It is not illusion
It is not a game

It certainly seems unlikely
But appears to be true

God didn't actually abandon us
After all

God is good
God loves us
God is kind and benevolent
And generous
And God gave the dirty kid
In the cave

The instruction manual
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2018 :  09:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful. Love to you dear Parvati

I am happy to read your simplified Ayurveda topic. Ayurveda is of my great interest and I swallow Ayurveda in little pieces. It becomes more clear with the years of practice. I am pitta, some years ago my inner fire burned in all directions, I was out of balance and not grounded, I visited an Ayurvedic, she gave me herbs and advices. After some time of changing food habits I felt the difference in body and mind. Ayurveda became part of life, all tough I know not enough and will keep on learning. Thank you for sharing.

Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2018 :  10:58:26 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Blanche

Hi Parvati,

Enjoying the lessons. Had read some of Robert Svoboda's books, and I'll get the Ayurveda Bible.

You definitely are at a point where you need to teach, as the saying goes, "If you know something, teach someone." This thread is great. You could also look to give an workshop an a local yoga studio, community center, or public library. In this way, you may reach more people in your community.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the support, so glad you're enjoying the lessons.

Pointing out to the readers that Blanches's comment here is a perfect example of Pitta dosha. Pittas are always interested in the practical application and efficient usage of concepts, ideas, and theories.

Appreciate the comment Blanche

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2018 :  11:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea of Blanche! Your wisdom is prescious and of value. In yogastudio’s you will find the interested ones.

Edited by - Charliedog on Feb 02 2018 11:07:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2018 :  11:06:01 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Charliedog
Thank you for the gracious comment and for sharing your experience. I'm glad you are happy to read the topic and enjoyed the poem

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2018 :  12:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
These two items are mentioned due to either their relative significance, or having come up previously in the discussion. I normally use the Svoboda textbook (my #1 reference) and Frawley's Ayurvedic Healing but here I consulted Frawley/ Lad's The Yoga of Herbs and The Ayurveda Bible. Notice this information has not been given a section number. Which means it's not part of the lesson material.

1. Doshas with ama
VATA SAMA......... Vata with ama
PITTA SAMA........ Pitta with ama
KAPHA SAMA........ Kapha with ama

- Frawley & Lad, The Yoga of Herbs, pp. 46-48

2. In actuality the individual has two types of constitution
Constitution ... Prakruti (Prakriti) and Vikruti

Prakruti
We have been discussing the Basic Constitution which is permanent and lifelong. It is important to understand the importance of the Basic Constitution. The percentage of doshas we have always had since birth is our Basic Constitution. That constitution never changes, it is constant. This is the Prakruti or Prakriti. It is extremely extremely important... And therefore not to be confused with difficulties that manifest later on, since our birth, and are apt to fluctuate (they are not permanent).

Vikruti
So there is another constitution to consider, reflecting our present difficulties, symptoms, or disease - which is the Vikruti. The importance of Vikruti is sometimes minimized or neglected. I don't know why. Probably because it confuses an already confusing terrain. If I wrote a book on Ayurveda it would be mentioned because I think it is important. Not nearly as important as the Basic Constitution, of course, but still relevant to the discussion (imho).

(It may be recalled that Capucine mentioned being Pitta and had trouble keeping weight in the Summer.... Pittas don't do well in the summer, but they don't have a problem keeping their weight. So I suspected that there was a large percentage of Vata in the constitution - either that or Vata was temporarily aggravated. In other words - either the problem was with Prakruti or Vikruti. But it was a Vata problem because the problem of weight loss is a Vata issue.)

"To be healthy, the balance of the doshas that we have at birth needs to be maintained [important to understand exactly what she means here]. If the balance is disturbed by diet, weather, season, lifestyle or state of mind, illness eventually results and may be felt as physical discomfort and pain or as mental and emotional suffering. The current state of imbalance causing such symptoms to manifest is known as our Vikruti." ...... (emphasis mine, parv)

- McIntyre, The Ayurveda Bible, p. 53

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 02 2018 12:19:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2018 :  2:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
14. Refining our knowledge

The surfacing of unconscious emotional content

We have learned in the previous segment a little about why Ayurveda is frequently considered difficult (or maybe even impossible). There are a number of reasons for that. First and foremost, however, is that our own mind and entrenched emotions will probably, at some point, try to fight us. Perhaps 80% or more of our behavior, habits, preferences, proclivities and eccentricities are due to unconscious processes. Whatever is unconscious, we don't know squat about, we aren't aware of it. Whatever is unconscious isn't available for conscious use. So it is quite possible that we may unconsciously choose to remain sick rather than heal, rather than deal with imbalance to rectify it.

Ayurveda brings unconscious content to the surface where it can be addressed, and corrected if necessary. If it is making us ill or unhappy, it needs rectification. But there are reasons we hide things from ourselves, maintain them at an unconscious level. A lot of us want to keep those things hidden, under the surface, secret and walled off from our conscious scrutiny (or anyone else's scrutiny). So we unintentionally keep stuff unavailable and therefore it cannot be utilized. Sometimes we fight for the right to keep these unconscious things unknown even to our own selves. Even if we require that knowledge to self-heal.

Many individuals on Earth today have, unfortunately, experienced various kinds of trauma. When traumatic memories bubble up to the surface, we often try to suppress them again. There are all kinds of ways to suppress unpleasant memories and at our present state of evolution, modern civilization usually doesn't encourage people to integrate those memories. Ayurveda is ancient. It probably isn't very compatible with modern civilization. But it works. And people still use it.

What I want to say here is that Ayurveda very very gently, incredibly gradually, will bring suppressed emotion to the surface. Assuming we are sufficiently skillful in balancing the doshas. Another word for balancing is pacifying. So we pacify the doshas but NOT at the expense of submerging surfacing discomfort. That discomfort is integrated, not directly, but indirectly through continually pacifying the disturbed doshas ... as the issues and disturbances arise. Does that make sense? If you get it, then perhaps you can help me say it better, more concisely?

We didn't elaborate on this in the previous segment, but did attempt to establish a firm foundation on which to build.

Balancing the Doshas

We are learning to balance, or pacify, the doshas. Tastes that balance each dosha:
VATA - SWEET, SOUR, SALTY
PITTA - SWEET, ASTRINGENT, BITTER
KAPHA - PUNGENT, ASTRINGENT, BITTER

(review/section 5)

Warm and cool tastes:
WARM - SOUR, SALTY, PUNGENT
COOL - SWEET, ASTRINGENT, BITTER

(section 9)

Five Elements
Vata, Pitta, Kapha ..... the AIR, FIRE and WATER doshas respectively.
But
There is more.

VATA is AIR and ETHER
(PITTA is FIRE only)
KAPHA is WATER and EARTH

Hmmmm....so if that is true why call Vata the Air dosha and Kapha the Water dosha? Because it simplifies matters.

How can we balance the doshas? We know what tastes pacify each of the doshas, and we are getting familiar with the warm and cool tastes. We also know Vata and Kapha are opposites. To balance Vata, encourage regular meals, more routine, stay calm etc like Kapha. To balance Kapha, suggest more exercise, move around, get motivated etc like Vata. We also know that Pittas need to keep anger under control and they need to stay cool.

(sections 5, 9 and 10)

We know enough to begin applying these principles in our daily lives for greater health and happiness. We are also beginning to refine our understanding. If there are any problems understanding what is presented here and/or in sections 9 thru 13, please ask questions. Thank you for reading

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 02 2018 3:07:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2018 :  4:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
15. Age and Time

Age - approximately (didn't look it up)
0-30 ...... KAPHA.....Youth
30-55 ..... PITTA.....Middle Age
55+ ....... VATA......Old Age

Time of day or night
6-10 .. KAPHA
10-2 .. PITTA
2-6 ... VATA

This concludes the 2nd Segment of the Ayurveda tutorial. Congratulations!

Questions
Do you want a quiz? Will you take it? (The response to the last quiz was pitiful)

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 02 2018 11:29:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2018 :  10:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Parvati,

I'm swamped with work. However, I did manage to take part of quiz 1.

Ans 1) Because of the complex nature of subject matter (Ayurveda), it's advised to explore one layer at a time.

Ans 2) Over 3000-4000 years old.

Ans 3) Vatta, Pitta, Kapha.

Ans 4) Vatta- Light; Pitta medium; Kapha- heavy.

Ans 5) Good digestion promotes good health which in turn balances doshas.

Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2018 :  11:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

Hi Parvati,

I'm swamped with work. However, I did manage to take part of quiz 1.

Ans 1) Because of the complex nature of subject matter (Ayurveda), it's advised to explore one layer at a time.

Ans 2) Over 3000-4000 years old.

Ans 3) Vatta, Pitta, Kapha.

Ans 4) Vatta- Light; Pitta medium; Kapha- heavy.

Ans 5) Good digestion promotes good health which in turn balances doshas.

Thank you so much for taking half of the test Sunyata. The first 4 answers are correct but your answer to question 5 is an enigma. Yes, you are correct and you taught me something. Here's question #5 (it's actually 2 questions)

(a)Why do we want to balance the doshas? (b) What tastes balance each of the doshas?

You answered 5(a) - Why do we want to balance the doshas?

The answer I was looking for is: for perfect health (you mentioned good health in your answer)

You taught me something with that answer.

Balanced doshas -----> Strong agni (my point)
Balanced doshas <----- Strong agni (your point)

Excellent!
(Section 7 last paragraph) It was stated in the Hint, the way to ensure good digestion is to balance the doshas. You turned that around to say good digestion leads to good health which in turn balances the doshas. You are right!

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 03 2018 12:21:06 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000