Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Becoming the Mantra / Object of Mediation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aguacate

Germany
44 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2017 :  09:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks,

when one becomes the mantra or the thing you concentrate on, is that dharana, dhyana or a very low level of samadhi?

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2017 :  10:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi aquacate,

Here are the last three limbs of yoga

6) Dharana- Concentration on the object of meditation.
7) Dhyana- Meditation (With the practice of dharana/concentartion we come to dhyana/meditation). At this stage the focus is completely on the object of meditation.
8) Samadhi- This is the stage where the object of meditation and meditator becomes One/pure-bliss-consciousnesses.

There are different levels of Samadhi.

Hope this helps.

Edited by - sunyata on Dec 28 2017 10:20:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

orangesky

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2017 :  10:36:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robert!

I have these excerpts below from Kashmir Shaivism´s and Abhinavagupta`s "The Triadic Heart of Shiva".

Since language at its highest level (the mantra) is identical to the supreme reality,
however, we may use that which binds us (everydays language) as a tool for awakening and
liberation. On a technical level, the most potent tantric instrument for
liberation is a small unit of language, the mantra.

"He who obtains this seed-mantra, in the very moment he obtains it, is no longer a bound creature. Because, when this seed-mantra is obtained, for him this Heart is produced."

"The vibration that leads to manifestation is, in terms of consciousness, the contractive aspect of the visarga, and the supreme vibration that discloses the self is the expansive aspect of the visarga. Abhinavagupta tells us that the purpose of the mantra is to cause consciousness to vibrate more quickly. He argues the efficacy of bija-s as salvational instruments in these rather crucial verses in the TA:

Abhinavagupta emphasize the bija-s lack of verbal meaning (vacyabhavad), their independent vibration within consciousness (udasinasamvitspandat), their self-sufficiency or self-illumination (svadhamatah), and their ability to cause the extinction of the movement of the vital breath (pranollasanirodhabhyam)- This last characteristic is important in that it provokes the entrance into the central channel of the susumna with the resultant attainment of the nirvikalpa condition."

Björn
Go to Top of Page

aguacate

Germany
44 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2017 :  12:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, I have had two experiences where I became the object.

Once I became the mantra. I was vibrating happily the mantra in an automatic way for a few minutes or seconds, then I realized that I am the mantra in this very moment. Felt a bit weird.

The other occasion was recently when concentrating on my thumb. I was "pulled into it" and "became the thumb". The sudden "pull" scared me a bit. This time the pulling moment was also visual, like sitting in a fast rollercoaster flying to the thumb. Sadly with the horror in that moment I lost it - so it was super short.

I wondered yesterday if those experiences are the first stages of Samadhi or somewhere in Dharana and Dhyana. It seems I like to categorize things :)

Edited by - aguacate on Dec 28 2017 12:31:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2017 :  03:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mind wants to know and to categorize, you recognized that well.

The moments you describe above, be one with the object, we can also call that oneness.
There are many words for the experience, what we can ask ourself,
does it matter which name it has?
It was that experience, and it was beautiful and maybe a bit weird.

From own experience, when I teach asana, behind the students in front of me is a wall with a powerpoint. Regularly I become one with that powerpoint, like I am sucked in it.

Enjoy aquacate

Edited by - Charliedog on Dec 29 2017 03:39:26 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000