AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Flying Fear
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2017 :  12:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So I wanted to get some feedback (I may have in fact posted on this yrs ago)...
Probably one of the scariest things for me is flying on a plane when there a lot of turbulence. I’m not afraid of flying in general, it’s only when there’s substantial turbulence.
I LOVE traveling both domestically and internationally so it’s been something I’ve had to face. It’s literally the only time I’m tempted to take a tranquilizer of some sort. I recall a flight when there was so much turbulence that i saw white and felt like I left my body and couldn’t speak for half a day after from the panic. I don’t experience panic attacks in any other realm but this.
Meditation and breathing has helped a little bit it’s literally like I feel like I’m going to die. I was reminded of this because yesterday i was on a small plane for just an hour with a lot of turbulence and really struggled. Ironically I’ve went skydiving with barely any fear and was more afraid to be on the little rickety plane than to jump out of it!!
I think doing a fear of flying class would probably really help at this point...but any other suggestions?? C

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2017 :  05:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting post, Chard. A couple things come to mind in relation to AYP.

The "turbulence" you mention reminds me of the "friction" we all inevitably experience to varying degrees during practices, and during the scenery of daily life. Friction is usually described as the flow of consciousness rubbing up against obstructions within the nervous system. So, if there is too much friction, we self-pace and back off, or we fine-tune the routine and possibly add practices to balance the flow. The inner guru guides us to move in a direction of addition or subtraction, as needed.

Samyama has been a big help for me in dealing with anxiety. For instance, in my recent transition to being a massage therapist, if I'm anxious about not getting enough clients, I use the sutra "abundance" and let it go in stillness.

Also, this lesson comes to mind (it's about transforming emotional energy for enlightenment):
https://www.aypsite.org/340.html

Wishing you the best in your travels! (On the inner and outer planes. Pun intended.)

P.S. You might enjoy starting a personal journal thread in the Illuminated Poetry section. I certainly have enjoyed sharing my stories! (though I migrated my journal to AYP Plus because I'm a bit of a snob. )

Edited by - Bodhi Tree on Dec 19 2017 05:53:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2017 :  05:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, the more inner silence we have, the less we are shaken by the turbulence of life. So, when in doubt, resort to the cultivation of inner silence, as well as grounding activities to plug in the body to the matrix of physical Nature.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
867 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2017 :  06:55:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chard,

Thank you for sharing. The fact you fear being in a plane but not jumping from a plane suggest that this is more than a simple fear of flying, or even of letting go of control. DM helps in long term, but in short term you could try self-inquiry. Just like in samyama, you could bring this fear to mind, and then ask, "What is this fear?" / "Where is this fear coming from?"/ "What does this fear try to tell me?"

Also, forward-fold asanas seem to help with anxiety - and there are many versions. Nadi shodhana pranayama (alternative nostril breathing) calms emotions. You could practice nadi shodhana every day, doing 10 rounds, and then use it to manage stressful situations when they arise.

Bodhi's idea to start your own journal thread is excellent, if you are so inclined.

Warm wishes
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2017 :  06:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chard

...it’s literally like I feel like I’m going to die. C

Indeed you are going to die

Buddhists recommend that we face the fact that we are going to die squarely and be intimately familiar with death. Be aware of it constantly. "Life is uncertain, death is certain".

Sey

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2017 :  12:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chard,

Here is lesson on fear that may help.

Lesson 259 - Fear and Enlightenment

https://www.aypsite.org/259.html

Edited by - sunyata on Dec 19 2017 12:37:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2017 :  12:11:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank for wonderful feedback all! C
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000