Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Is once a day enough
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fruition

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2017 :  4:25:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Is twice a day mandatory or is once a day enough? Some days, because of work and obligations I don't have time for twice per day practice.
Thanks.

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2017 :  8:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ideally, it should be done twice a day. It is a question of habit. If you don't have the regular time, even say 2 minutes of meditation followed by 1 minute of rest should be sufficient.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2017 :  12:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i would say it can vary twice a day practice but with diferent elements ,more asanas less meditation ,breath meditation insread of mantra ,less asanas more mantra ,asana only ,the mix is entirely dependent on the flow you have self pacing being the best practice of all ,twice a day for habit but within the twice a day less is more but you decide which is less and which is more tread carefully honour your allotted time even a flower is accepted on the altar of devotion or the petal

Edited by - kumar ul islam on Oct 18 2017 12:05:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2017 :  12:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Twice daily establishes discipline. The first year and a half of AYP I was very disciplined with twice daily; once ecstatic conductivity awakened within, I admit most days are just a morning sit, not necessarily a conscious declaration, more like a natural evolution. EC is easily accessed through intention and asana, so I find yoga in many moments of daily life, constant Bhakti fuel. This is what Yogani refers to as the "flywheel effect", where a little prana can go a long way. I crave DM each day so I can be in the silence and surrender in the interplay with energy. Ah the paradox: who knew silence could be so deafening?

So Fruition, establish discipline and you will begin to trust Guru In you. Shoot for two, but if you come up short, then try again the next day. Easily favor the mantra, easily favor your practice. Bliss guides me to sleep each night I close my eyes, a reminder of how purification through dedication illuminates and allows divine access. Two a day meditation is your spiritual boot camp.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2017 :  12:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Fruition

You've probably read Lesson 18 already, but here it is in case you might not have had the time look for it :

https://www.aypsite.org/18.html

All the best
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2017 :  12:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Fruition! Thanks for sharing! I can identify w challenge of twice daily meditation and I can say that I don't do it perfectly myself.
Rather than considering if its mandatory or not mandatory I invite you to consider the benefits of twice daily if possible in your life. I've had periods of tine when I could only do once (when having babies) and other times twice daily. I can only say that life flows so much better on so many levels for me when I can do twice even if it's 5-10 min on my cushion. Kind of like sandwiching my day into two periods of stillness. Blessings on your journey Fruition! C
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2017 :  10:34:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello fruition!
If it is only a matter of time, do exactly as jusmail is writing, only just a few minutes to keep the habit.
If it is a matter of self-pacing (which it does not sound like in your case), then one can also self-pace times per day or even times per week. It is up to each and one of us in the end :)
But aim for twice each day...easily favouring your practice...like with mantra, no strain. Good things are happening!

//colours

Edited by - colours on Oct 20 2017 10:47:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Herb

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2017 :  06:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Fuition
I also agree with Jusmail. I'd like to add that, for me, almost all side-benifits of meditation, come only while I have been doing a lot of twice a day meditation. Things like, mental calmness, better sleep, and spontaneous meditation or, what I consider, nirvikalpa perception.

So, do what you can to stay disciplined, and try to practise twice a day. Twice a day practise also helps remove more obstructions that block your spiritual progress. Optimal practise can clear away much of the veil that hides the Self, or True Nature.

Focus on the positives of meditation and dedicate yourself to fitting it into your life as best you can. I wish you great blessings that inspire and empower you to be keen to meditate and bring a rich spiritual eliment to it for you.

Herb

Edited by - Herb on Oct 21 2017 7:28:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

retreatsworld

Spain
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  09:22:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit retreatsworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are asking, if once a day is enough - it shows that you are doubting that it is suifficent. Go with what you feel comfortable with. If you 'know' that once a day is enough - it is. For some it may be twice or three times a day, if not more.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
867 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2018 :  06:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Retreatsworld,
For optimum results, sit for your meditation and your other advanced practices twice a day, before breakfast and before dinner. Do 10 spinal breathing, followed by 20 minutes of deep meditation. Practice like this for two weeks, and you will see for yourself the wisdom of this recommendation.

It is better to meditate twice a day for 10 minutes at a time than once a day for 20 minutes - see Lesson 86. When time is at a premium, the sitting practices can be adjusted, favoring the deep meditation - see Lesson 209 Fitting Daily Practices Into a Busy Schedule.

In a retreat, there can be three or even four sitting periods during the day, if we are stable in our twice a day routine during work weeks. Thus, the guidelines for an effective practice are very clear.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000