AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Movements and Hand Signal Thingy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  9:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all you people,

For those of you that read the previous posts on movements during meditation and jaaping...

Here's a link dpeicting whats happens to me while jaaping (chanting mantras) basically dancing....

I never to learned to formally dance I learned by intuition.

http://in.geocities.com/medhahari/c...n_dance.html

The conclusion some of us arrived to was energy movements at that time.

hand signals thingy

Since I introduced this concept of mine I was inspired to reasearch more into this thing by Christi(credits to christi).......anyway I was guided very shortly to this site

http://www.hastamudra.com/

From the pictures illustrated on this site .......not the common ones like the prayer hands and so on these are the formations that are made while I am dealing with people as you can see each position has a meaning....and I agree with most of them......

maybe one day I'll be specific and said which ones were used I don't have time for that now....Anyway Christi now you can officially see what I am talking about since it is currently a research project

Some more info.......I have seen myself using these things on people

http://www.lifepositive.com/Spirit/...ls/mudra.asp

As I go along I shall post the others

Namaste

Edited by - Neesha on Nov 01 2006 10:06:59 PM

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  04:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Neesha,
Thanks for all the great info...
I was looking up stuff on yoga on the web the other day and I came accross this quote: (I have paraphraised, and translated some of the sanskrit to make it easier to read)
quote:
Ashtanga Yoga was taught by Siva to the mind-born sons of Brahma. The Kumaras were not interested in ordinary mundane life and vowed to practice celibacy. The Sages approached Siva in the absence of Parvati and pleaded with him to teach them ways of removing Ignorance and attain salvation. Siva taught them [knowledge of divine consciousness] through silence and Chinmudra, which representing wisdom (Jnanam), consists of bringing the middle of the thumb and the index finger to form a circle and fanning out the other three fingers. The thumb represents the Cosmic Consciousness and the index finger represents the individual consciousness and the circle completes the interrelationship between the two.

So it seems these things come strait from the top.... from Mr. Big himself! I love tha phrase "mind-born sons of Brahma"...
Whilst in India a few years ago, I learnt a meditation technique from an enlightened lady. In the meditation we were told to sit in half-lotus, and put our hands on our knees, palms up and told to form the mudra mentioned above. This was to be held for the duration of the mudra. It is a classic pose seen on thousands of statues all over India. We were told that it created a different energy circuit in the body which was more conducive to deep meditation.

I also found this quote:
quote:
Mudras are hand-and-finger gestures (and positions) which are 108 in number, each one of them when performed delights an appropriate god. It welcomes a god, when an offering is made to him. Mudra is derived from mud meaning joy, delight, gladness, happiness and means that which gives happiness to god. These Mudra gestures are made during worship and in dance, rituals and Yoga. The Gheranda Sanghita says that knowledge of the yoga mudras grants all siddhis, and that their performance produces physical benefits such as stability, firmness and cure of disease

(By the way, for anyone reading, the Mud bit from Mudra rhymes with Should, and not with Thud).
If this quote is true, then these hand positions are powerful, and useful things. Please do keep us posted with more information Neesha.

Love and Light

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  09:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been enjoying this poses. And at times I think the poses have been enjoying me.

The body becomes so relaxed and statuesque. It occured to me this past weekend that if I were any other person or in any other situation, I probably wouldn't be able to practice as I do. I mean, if you have kids or family always around they do not want to see you bending or contorting into shapes or shaking at times.

Man, I should put a webcam in my room. You know, that's the thought I had. Because it didn't even occur to me how odd my delay behaviors would seem.
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  3:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

through silence and Chinmudra, which representing wisdom (Jnanam), consists of bringing the middle of the thumb and the index finger to form a circle and fanning out the other three fingers. The thumb represents the Cosmic Consciousness and the index finger represents the individual consciousness and the circle completes the interrelationship between the two.

this I saw myself doing this many times........
quote:
So it seems these things come strait from the top.... from Mr. Big himself!

Geee I knew it ........a higher force

quote:

In the meditation we were told to sit in half-lotus, and put our hands on our knees, palms up and told to form the mudra mentioned above. This was to be held for the duration of the mudra. It is a classic pose seen on thousands of statues all over India. We were told that it created a different energy circuit in the body which was more conducive to deep meditation.

This is so true

quote:
Mudras are hand-and-finger gestures (and positions) which are 108 in number, each one of them when performed delights an appropriate god. It welcomes a god, when an offering is made to him. Mudra is derived from mud meaning joy, delight, gladness, happiness and means that which gives happiness to god. These Mudra gestures are made during worship and in dance, rituals and Yoga. The Gheranda Sanghita says that knowledge of the yoga mudras grants all siddhis, and that their performance produces physical benefits such as stability, firmness and cure of disease

Last night in the Ashram ...there was a hare Krishna group(first time I am seeing one)....with their chanting....my left hand raised up gosh the force was sooo strong....any way they started hopping like I assumed the power took them probably......I guess this occured due to the vibrations that emanated.....anyway there was a young man ..........a psycho case just been discharged from the hospital.....we needed that kind of power of help him.....he was so disciplined in the mandir and outside it seemed as though the negativity was still trying to hold on........this case was a first time and a scary one........for me
quote:
If this quote is true, then these hand positions are powerful, and useful things.

This is another confirmation for me...Christi thanks

Hey Christi.........there are so many experiences I have to share ....but in this mortal world ...time is a factor ......I would have to do some more links to the other mudras and in combination with the other hand ........

thanks for your translation and research
I really appreciate it

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  2:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some more research on

Mudras

Mudras (gesture, seal) are subtle physical movements of the hands, face, and or body. Complex mudras involve the whole body in a combination of asana, pranayama, bandha and visualization, while simple mudras range from hand positions to meditation techniques. The purpose of a mudra is to activate and create a circuit of prana in the body. This circuit channels the prana in a specific way to create a subtle effect on koshas and to regulate and awaken the prana, chakras and kundalini, Mudras are used only after proficiency in asana, pranayama and bandha has been achieved, and when one has obtained some cultivation and awareness of prana. In hatha yoga, the level of progression is asana, pranayama, bandha, mudra, samadhi. Thus, mudra is the advanced practice leading up to the attainment of enlightenment or samadhi.

Mudras are the bestowers of the eight divine powers. They are held in high esteem by all the siddhas and are difficult for even the gods to attain. (Hatha Yoga Pradipika, 3:8)

Hasta (hand) mudras used primarily in meditation, but can also be incorporated in asana and pranayama as well as in daily activities. Hasta mudras redirect the prana traveling through the fingers back into the body. These mudras are the most common and numerous of the categories of mudras. Many of the hasta mudras have been developed to help with mental and emotional issues as well as heal physical diseases. Hasta mudras should be done with both hands, with light pressure of the fingers and held for 5-45 minutes.

Mana (head) mudras utilize the sense organs of the eyes, ears, nose, tongue and lips. These mudras are done only as meditation exercises and require intense concentration to engage for even short periods of time. Mana mudras are deeply inwardly focusing and induce higher states of consciousness.

Contraction mudras involve the engagement of subtle skeletal muscles, mostly in the area of the pelvis. These mudras concentrate the prana in the body and prime the energy channels (nadis) for the awakening of kundalini.

Kaya (postural) mudras are similar to asana, but combine the other types of simple mudras with pranayama and concentration. These are the most complicated mudras and require the most amounts of concentration and focus to hold. Kaya mudras invigorate the prana in the body and direct the prana into specific chakras (energy centers).

With the exception of hasta mudras, these techniques have traditionally been kept secret and could only be learned from a guru.

some great photos
i have used some these also ....very powerful
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudra

actual photos

http://healing.about.com/od/east/ig...ndex.htm/url]

Edited by - Neesha on Nov 09 2006 3:03:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000