Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Can't seem to focus my will power on work
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

psysaucer

India
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  05:53:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So this is technically not about meditation/yoga/spirituality. But I am going through a hard time in my life, where I need to study hard for at least 10 hours a day for the next six months to pass one of the most toughest competitive exams in India. I just can't seem to focus my wandering mind into work. I just end up procrastinating, and cursing myself at the end of the day for having studied absolutely nothing.

What do you guys suggest that I do in order to stop my mind from fantasizing/daydreaming/or from just about finding any excuse to put off work for later?

Edited by - psysaucer on Mar 22 2016 05:56:05 AM

freshyogi

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  07:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can't control or redirect , if you control or redirect that's an illusion, the reason is everything is thought which includes the thought which tells you that you got deviated, or the thought which ask you to control. You have never been left with no thought. If you realize this truth, then there is no need bothering about your thoughts
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  08:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi psysaucer

I know the feeling.

You will get more disciplined as your meditation practice progresses, but for quick results, here are a few things you can do:

- Get into a good fitness routine. You could start your daily activities (after your yoga) by jogging and working your muscles hard. That will wear out the restlessness. You will be able to work your upper body at home if you buy a pair of dumbbells, so you won't have to spend time doing trips to a gym. Also have a look at the AYP lesson 80 - there are some exercises there you can practice at home.

- When you find yourself getting worked up about your lack of discipline, or thinking about the exams, or how much progress you need to make by a certain deadline etc, try to just switch to this one thought/goal: "I need to sit down with my book" (or course material, or whatever it is you need to be studying). Make that the foundation of your discipline - sitting down to your place of study. Bring yourself back to your place of study when you find yourself wondering off. Even if you have to sit there vacantly for a few minutes at a time before your actually pick up your study material, that's fine. You will eventually pick it up. Don't worry about the times the mind wonders of - it will do that and you will need to gently bring it back to your reading. The important thing is to spend the bulk of your time at your place of study, with the study material in front of you.

- Take planned breaks. Even if you've not made as much progress as you hoped, stick to a balanced schedule of study time and short breaks during which it's best to be physically active.

- You may need to reduce your yoga practices in the run up to the exams. You already are asking your mind to stay narrowly focused. Focusing on mantra or breathing during yoga practice will add to the same type of effort. What are your yoga practices at the moment?

Finally, a bit of a shock therapy - I remember times when I had to end a scattered-brain episode with a cold shower (I only kept that measure for extreme cases of restlessness - it works). Jogging is a gentler alternative and it keeps you fit as well.

Good luck!

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Mar 22 2016 08:38:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
867 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  08:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Psysaucer,

Bluerain gave you some good advice. When I am really busy, I find it useful to make a TO DO list at the beginning of the day. Then I mark how much time I need for each task, and stick with the list for the rest of the day. If I get behind, I go back and make adjustments. If I start wasting time, when I notice that I am off the task, I get back to work (just like in meditation ). At the end of the day, I would reward myself: I do something I really like to do - like go for a swim, or take a walk in a beautiful place, or call a friend.

During periods of intense study, I would spend each hour in 45-50 minutes study and 10-15 minutes break. After a while, the studying would get easier, and I would skip some of the breaks (maybe take a break every 2-3 hours). Including some physical activity in the break helps a lot. You could take a quick walk, do some cleaning, etc. Discipline is the key in getting anything done. You are the master of yourself. The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  09:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is what you do.

Make your plan then do your plan. Nothing is ever accomplished without planning.

You Plan, you do , you reflect, you do some more, you reflect some more, you plan some more, you do some more, you reflect.......................................

If you do not have the self discipline to do this then you probably need to consider becoming a failure and then think about how terrible your life is going to be as a failure.

If you want to succeed then do the following:

Make your plan.

Ask yourself what do I need to study?

Then gather your study materials. This includes tea, snacks and food and water.

Ask yourself where can I study where I will not be disturbed?

Then prepare your study area and place your study materials in this place.

Ask yourself how do I need to arrange my day to ensure this study time?

Then make a list and arrange your schedule.

Stay away from discussion boards and wasting time on the internet and turn off the phone.

Commit yourself to 30 minutes of uninterpreted study time where you will study without stop. Set an alarm at the end of 30 minutes get up walk outside and reflect on what you are studying while walking do this for 5 to 10 minutes then put yourself back to studying.

Take your notes and the things you know you will need for the test and the parts you know you are weak on or have trouble remembering read them into a voice recorder.

When you go to sleep listen to the recorded notes on the test material.

Make this the single most important thing in your life right now and even if you do not pass the test you will not have failed.

You will have applied yourself 100% and can take that knowledge with you and figure out why you did not pass and keep taking the test until you pass it.

If you let fear or laziness dominate you then you will be a failure.

Put your yoga aside your life and the tests are a spiritual practice also.

When your life is in order your practices will be much easier & better so take care of your life, put it in good order. And go kick ass with that test! You can do it! nothing to it, but to do it!
Go to Top of Page

psysaucer

India
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  09:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks a ton blueraincoat and blanche! Anytime I feel demotivated, im just going to make sure to read blueraincoat's comment to clear my head :))

And about my yoga practices, ive restricted myself to just a 1 hour DM every morning over the last month or so. And dont intend to do any additional practices for another six months

Go to Top of Page

psysaucer

India
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  10:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for that so hi :)

Edited by - psysaucer on Mar 23 2016 05:48:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  1:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1 hour of DM is a lot. Just restrict it to 15/20 minutes in the morning and evening not forgetting rest of course. 50 minutes of study followed by 10 minutes of break. If you don't have to attend any coursework, you can rearrange your study time to late night or early mornings when there is minimal disturbance from external factors.

All the best in whatever you do.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2016 :  08:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hy Psysaucer, are you really doing 1 full hour of DM?! If this is true, consider that your current lack of focus may directly come from overdoing DM in the morning.

I can also report similar issues: when DM sessions go very deep and/or I cannot rest for the necessary time after DM, I also experience trouble focusing on my job. This is something I had to learn and accept, since I have a job where one really has to be focused. Currently I do only 14' of DM per session - that is the time that I can sustain in my daily activity. If I do some more minutes of DM I feel great but I have a hard time to focus my brain on something, and it may even be something easy like listening carefully to coworker during a meeting.

Try reducing your DM time, as recommended by Jusmail
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000