AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Breathing after effect
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yogi

12 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  12:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

After spinal breathing, im experiencing a strange after effect. It's so disturbing, i can't concentrate to meditate afterwards. It's a bit difficult to explain... i feel the heart beating strongly and there is some kind of internal moviment in the body, like is going back in forth with every heartbeat ?! Sometimes there are small spasms too. I have reduced the spinal breathing to only 5 minutes now, and still can't meditate afterwards.

I don't have any medical problem. Maybe there is some wrong with my breathing? Im not forcing anything, only breathing slowly. Anyone have any advice they can share?

Thank you,

Yogi

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  1:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you staying active for the rest of the day, when you aren't doing practices?
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  1:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogi,
You must realise that spinal breathing is a very powerful technique that creates a lot of energy movement.That's what you are expereincing, the movement of energy.Often I hear the energy crackling in my neck as it moves around and sometimes in the back of my throat or head. If it's affecting your meditation you may need to look at separating the timescale of the practices.I'm not sure what Yogani recommends as to this but I'm sure someone will be able to point you to the correct lesson.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  1:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogi,

For how long did you do deep meditation before starting spinal breathing? If not very long maybe there is not enough inner silence to start with spinal breathing (which can put energies in motion like Dave points out)?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  2:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogi,
I will go with Weaver, have you been doing meditation for awhile? If not.. maybe its too early to add spinal breathing...

Also if spinal breathing is causing too much energy movements.. just do alternate nostril breathing before meditation for awhile... then add maybe 2 rounds of spinal breathing.. if that seems OK.. make it 3 and slowly increase it..

Do you do any asana's before your routine? Yogani has a neat starter kit of asana's in his AYP book and of course in his new "Asana Mudra Bandha" book... asana's do help in stretching out the spinal nerve and helps energy move a little smoother in you.

Movements are good.. shows you something is happening .. but too much is scary I know.. Hope this helps..
Go to Top of Page

Yogi

12 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  8:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for all the replies!

Scott - Im not having any physical activity during the day. Just a bit of mental activity, playing chess i love very much :-). Do you think exercise can help?rcise is good

Riptiz - Thank you. I was thinking exactly that, maybe doing meditation first and after it the spinal breathing? The disturbance happens only if i try to meditate, if im doing other activity no problem.
No doubt is very powerful.

Weaver - I do 20 minutes of meditation before spinal breathing. I feel peaceful after meditation, but cant say i experiece deep silence.
I experience some energy in the head and a bit of light in the third eye. But there is a lot of mental chatter.

Shanti - I try do a bit of mahamudra in the morning, but im not very regular doing it ( too lazy :-) ). Thank you for your suggestions, i will try adding
some asanas before pranayama. There is some lesson about it here in AYP? The problem is i like doing spinal breathing a lot, if possible
i wouldnt like to reduce or stop it.

Yogi
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  9:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogi,

I didn't formulate my question clearly enough. I meant: For how many weeks or months did you do deep meditation before starting spinal breathing?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  10:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yogi

Weaver - I do 20 minutes of meditation before spinal breathing. I feel peaceful after meditation, but cant say i experiece deep silence.
Shanti - I try do a bit of mahamudra in the morning, but im not very regular doing it ( too lazy :-) ). Thank you for your suggestions, i will try adding
some asanas before pranayama. There is some lesson about it here in AYP? The problem is i like doing spinal breathing a lot, if possible
i wouldnt like to reduce or stop it.

Yogi.. you do meditation before spinal breathing? Did I understand you right? Not sure, but where did you learn this, Actually I don't know much about other systems or teachings.. but here in AYP.. we do asanas first, followed by spinal breathing and then deep meditation.

So try and add some simple stretching asanas to the beginning of your practice... maha mudra sounds good.. but you will need to add a few more.. not an hour worth of asanas.. but a few that give you a good stretch, follow it up with 5 min of spinal breathing and then deep meditation. See if things feel better this way.. if your energies are still running wild.. cut down spinal breathing by a min or 2 I know spinal breathing feels great.. I love it too.. but if it is making trouble enough to scare you... then it may be easier to reduce it for a bit.. and then pick it up when things calm down.

Yes, asanas are covered in AYP.. but not in the online lessons.. it is available in the big fat AYP book and in the Asana Mudra Bandha book.

Edited by - Shanti on Oct 09 2006 10:03:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yogi

12 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  11:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
weaver - sorry for the misunderstanding, i have a bit of difficult to read/write english. I have been praticing AYP for 4 months. The first 3 months i practiced 20 minutes spinal breathing, 20 minutes meditation. Last month out of the blue i started experiencing this problem, and im reducing spinal breathing time. I did spinal breath from the start.

Shanti - Yes you understood right. I know AYP recommends pranayama first, but with this problem i am not able to meditate afterwards. So i am trying meditation first and spinal breathing later ?! Is this bad? Thanks for the suggestions, i will try

Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  12:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yogi

I have been praticing AYP for 4 months. The first 3 months i practiced 20 minutes spinal breathing, 20 minutes meditation. Last month out of the blue i started experiencing this problem, and im reducing spinal breathing time. I did spinal breath from the start.

No problem. Yogi, there could be 2 reasons that could likely explain your problem with excessive energy movement during spinal breathing and/or meditation.

First, starting with spinal breathing right away along with meditation. In AYP it's recommended that we first start with deep meditation only until we are stable in this practice before we add spinal breathing. This may mean several weeks or months or more for many people. Read more in the AYP lessons. It's also good if we experience some degree of inner silence before we add to our meditation practice.

Second, when starting with 20 min. spinal breathing, that's way too much for a start. It's recommended to start with only 5 minutes, then slowly work up to 10 minutes when the practice feels stable.

So, in your case, even though spinal breathing feels good, it may be best to hold off with spinal breathing for a while until you get well established in meditation. Hope it works out well!

Edited by - weaver on Oct 10 2006 12:35:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  09:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Scott - Im not having any physical activity during the day. Just a bit of mental activity, playing chess i love very much :-). Do you think exercise can help?rcise is good

Exercise can help, but it's more about doing a whole bunch of things for the rest of the day. Always having something to do. Chess is good for the mental side of it. Walking after meals for the physical side (if you don't like to exercise). Socializing is a great help. Experience the world in its many flavors when you aren't doing practices, and I personally think that what you're experiencing will soon calm down. This is part of the practices too...the other side of the coin.

Also, Weaver's advice is really great. I totally agree with it. To repeat what he said: start with only meditation, or with short spinal breathing sessions before meditation.

Also, remember that in meditation certain things will pull our attention away from the mantra. Don't worry about it, because it'll happen regardless of weird things taking place in your body. The practice is to continually bring your mind back to the mantra. So even if it seems like you aren't doing anything, if you do that, you are meditating in the correct way. It's not about how long you can hold "I am" in your mind...it's about coming back to it everytime your mind wanders.

Go to Top of Page

Yogi

12 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  09:20:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
weaver,

Thank you for you comments. I think you are right, i probably overdoit :-(. I will try it, thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page

Yogi

12 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  10:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott,

Thanks for the reply.

" I personally think that what you're experiencing will soon calm down. This is part of the practices too...the other side of the coin."

I wish you are right , i will have patience and wait to see.

Thanks for the tips about the mantra meditation, they are very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  2:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Weaver and Scott have it all covered.
You can look at this lesson#244 Going for a Smooth Start in Meditation and Pranayama

"So i am trying meditation first and spinal breathing later ?! Is this bad? "

Look at lesson#39
Like Yogani says in lesson#41 "This pranayama will quiet the nervous system, and provide a fertile ground for deep meditation. "
Hope these help.

Edited by - Shanti on Oct 10 2006 2:15:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  2:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shweta,

I am just competing with you to see who can help out the most people.
Go to Top of Page

Yogi

12 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  5:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti,

Thank you for the links! They helped a lot, i was a bit worried about not practicing correcly but i can see im doing right [:-)], just can't force my body to handle more i can take.

Im very grateful to everybody for the attention and the help.
God bless you all!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  10:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogi,
great user name! I can't believe nobody else got it after all this time.
You guys covered the answers very well. I am nobody.
My personal opinion would be not to try and add any more yoga stuff in there for now; just cut way back on the length of spinal breathing until you can meditate more, and add more physical activity.
You're doing great with english, Yogi.
Go to Top of Page

Yogi

12 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  01:36:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Etherfish,

Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your opinion. Your username is nice, Yogi is not a very creative one :-)
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  11:13:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I try do a bit of mahamudra in the morning, but im not very regular doing it ( too lazy :-) ). Thank you for your suggestions, i will try adding some asanas before pranayama.

I'm a bit late here. But may I add that mahamudra doesn't seem to be a good practice for sensitive people like you, Yogi. It is very stimulating. My guess is that, as long as you do more than once or twice a week, it may be enough to stir things up. How do I know? I am stirring myself up constantly with Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka (quite similar to mahamudra), hoping to push myself forward. It's hard to believe that a few kumbhakas can hurt me, but it does seem to be the case. How I should structure a stable practice that is both aggressive and good for my daily life is a subject that I'm struggling with lately.
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  12:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogi,
You've got all the right info from everyone else. Just to share my beginning with ayp .... it was a lot like yours. Started with way too much, and didn't want to cut back because it seemed too much like a good thing to let go of.

But ultimately it helped only by slowing down. As is repeated so often in the lessons: less is more. Don't worrit... it takes a little time for results to show, things will cool down right behind you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000