Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 tai chi chuan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill

USA
46 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  12:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been practicing this form of tai chi chuan for years. Just as ayp has energy practices based in physical internal practices so this form has physical ways of moving the dan tien, and from the dan tien, and does not rely on the mind visualizing the energy as a sole means of engaging the center. I noticed that Yogani enjoys tai chi and I thought I would share this with the group.
www.classicaltaichi.com
Bill

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  04:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am also great fan of Tai Chi.
I am regulary doing my exercises (approx 50 min)
while listening to the music which was given to me
when I started a course (about 1 year ago).
The Audio-CD is called "Chi Che Gong"
There are 9 exercises called:
-Awakening the Chi
-The crane
-The big drum
-The tablet
-The daughter on the hill
-The daughter in the valley
-Give and Take
-Rowing (or kneading the dough)
-Distributing the energy

@Bill: do you know these exercises and are they
also part of tai chi chuan ?
Go to Top of Page

Bill

USA
46 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  9:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wolfgang,
They could be since many movements practiced in chi gong are extracted from the tai chi form, or other martial arts, and then made into a chi gong practice. Hard to tell without seeing them.
Bill
Go to Top of Page

will.iam

23 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  12:42:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit will.iam's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bill,

Is it possible to learn the form effectively from the DVDs? I've taken some instruction in Tai Chi and had many corrections on my form that are hard to spot. From my limited experience it seems that it would be difficult to learn some of the more subtle points of a Tai Chi form from a television.

Thanks,
Bill
Go to Top of Page

Bill

USA
46 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  10:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Bill,
I like your monicer! if that is the right word.
I have learned tai chi in different versions of large frame yang style for twenty five years with teachers in person. First of all I have never had someone explain the "internal discipline" like master Hwa does on these dvds. I have had very good teachers but somehow the internal discipline was kept so secret or it had been lost in those forms. Also the separation of yin and yang movements is extremely well explained and showed. These two alone are worth the price separate from the form instruction. But the form instruction is just as clear as a class, and Master Hwa travels around the country this year giving free private lessons to those working with the dvds because he wants to keep his tradition alive. That tradition is the yang style medium and small frame form before is morphed into the Wu family style. This form has a very overt instruction in the internal discipline, the movement of and from the core. So yes I would never give up this lineage even if I only had the dvds in exchange for a live teacher. Unless it were master Hwa.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000