Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Initiation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

a80b

India
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  07:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

I have decided to take initiation in Kriya Yoga from Swami Prajnananda. He is the spiritual head of Prajnana Mission. Swamiji is the successor of Paramhansa Hariharananda. Apparently the initiation is over 3 days.

Is there anyone here who has been initiated by the same or any of the acharyas ? Can you tell me something about this organisation ? I know we are not supposed to reveal the techniques hence I wont ask but I would like to know how effective they are ? Has anyone tried this organisation ? Ive heard Hariharananda's KYI is good.

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  10:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello may you find the following helpful. Once upon a time I wished that someone would or could answer me but there was no one.

So I will.

In the United States the way it is done now is that you have an evening meeting with the Swamis and they give a nice talk about Kriya which ends with an invitation to take initiation the following day.

In the United States there is a fee of $150.00 which in our country is not very much money and is used to cover expenses I can tell you the two days of thorough training will be worth far more than a little bit of money whatever it may be.

You will need to bring flowers and fruit as part of the initiation and fire ceremony. If it is done the same in India. During the first evening they tell what to bring.

If you are used to sitting on the ground or on a cushion it will be a big help as you will be doing so for many hours. Recommend bringing a good cushion a thick mat to place it on and a bed sheet you can dispose of to put under everything. Dress in very loose fitting clothing that will allow you great freedom of movement.

They also provide chairs in the back for those who can not and also for those who are present to help, usually older Kriyavans.

As for the training it is all done in person and there will likely be more than one Acharya present to help make sure everyone understands the techniques and is performing them correctly. Some techniques are very delicate and can only be learned in person so do ask questions if you do not understand they are well received.

Initiation is explained what it means etc.. then the fire Ceremony is performed and you are initiated individually others taking initiation may be present but they are instructed to keep the fingers in the ears and remain in a bow which as it is a private matter you will be urged not to pay attention to others initiation. Unfortunately due to the large amounts of people coming to Kriya in this age it is not practical to be of service to so many in any other manner.

The initiation is a very beautiful experience for those that are ripe and unforgettable for those who are not.

Typical instruction consists of verbal description followed by guided practice in each of the techniques being taught.Then there is a follow up question and answer session followed by a recap of the verbally given instruction followed by more guided practice.

The first day can be exhausting with all the learning and doing.

The second day is more of the same and at the end of the second day for those that stay there is a nice satsang.

That which you will learn will be very simple yet at the same time effective.

Just so you do not get to caught up in who changed what and how allow me to assure you it was Paramahamsa Hariharananda who made the changes and the current custodianship of his teachings are indeed teaching the way he did in his final days. So rest assured and do not let this plague your mind.

It will be suggested that you practice twice daily but if you can not then once daily is ok and that you must do your best to practice every day.

As an initiate of other lineages as well as this one, it has been a pleasant association over the years with this lineage of Kriya and is highly recommended above all other lineages in my opinion. This lineage alone is where I have found my home time and again no matter where curiosity has led me to discover.

Hope this helps, if this is where you heart is leading you then go with confidence this is a fine organization of wonderful people.
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  1:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi a80b, best of luck in your spiritual search.

Here's more KYI info from the AYP Forum:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=9582
Go to Top of Page

a80b

India
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  1:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks So-Hi and BillinL.A. This means a lot.

Yes theres a lot of noise about who changed what in Kriya Yoga - Im basically looking for a place to start - If the practices work for me then Im happy .

I have a couple of questions -

1. Do they have group meets ?

2. Are the acharyas accessible ? If I have any doubts or if im facing some problem, do they respond ?

3. What immediate changes did you notice about yourself after practising for some time ?

4. Am I allowed to cut back on the repetitions if it becomes too much to handle ?

Regards,

a80b
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  2:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few questions if you do not mind.

A. Why are you asking about Kriya on the AYP Site?

B. Why are you looking into Kriya?

C. What is the attraction for you when it comes to Kriya?

D. Why are you interested in Sadhana (Spiritual Practices) in the first place Kriya or otherwise?

In answer to your questions:

1. In the United States they have Group meets. In India I do not know, but suspect the same would be true.

2. They are accessible but you would be wise to talk to them one on one as email, telephone etc. does not work so well.

3. Changes do happen for everyone and come at the time that is right for them so you have to discover by doing. If I tell you mine you will expect something and that is not nice to do to someone as it will get in the way if something does or does not happen as expected.

3A.If you are wondering if the things they say in the introductory videos are true then the answer is yes.

4. It is not like that with huge repetitions. I can tell you if you learn from Shibendu Lahiri there are huge numbers of repetitions but even that can be scaled down.

Since you are already aware of some of the controversy surrounding Kriya I will advise you to ignore all of it and see what works for you. I will also advise that you follow your heart and not your head feel your own inner compass and discover your own true North.

If you are considering practicing Kriya for any other reason than an honest attraction to the Masters of the Lineage then I am going to say it would probably be better to learn AYP instead.

If Kriya is meant to be your Sadhana you will have a feeling for the Lineage if you are thinking of practicing Kriya due to hear say and advertisement then it probably will not work out so well.

If you Learn from Shibendu Lahiri you will learn different methods.

If you learn from SRF or YSS they teach different things also.

If you learn from Chatterjee in India he will teach similar to Shibendu.

The sources listed above are Legitimate.

In the end if your heart is in one place and your practice another you will eventually follow your heart.

If you learn from a book you will learn from people who think they know better than the people who taught them and still others who have collected stuff from other people and make problems for yourself.

If you take up AYP you will have a very large supportive group of people to openly discuss things with on the sites and I will advise you to join the Plus site for many reasons.

quote:
Originally posted by a80b

Thanks So-Hi and BillinL.A. This means a lot.

Yes theres a lot of noise about who changed what in Kriya Yoga - Im basically looking for a place to start - If the practices work for me then Im happy .

I have a couple of questions -

1. Do they have group meets ?

2. Are the acharyas accessible ? If I have any doubts or if im facing some problem, do they respond ?

3. What immediate changes did you notice about yourself after practising for some time ?

4. Am I allowed to cut back on the repetitions if it becomes too much to handle ?

Regards,

a80b

Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  3:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I never practiced KYI a80b so can't help you with personal experiences.

And like So-Hi I'm 100% sold on AYP as my sadhana.
Go to Top of Page

a80b

India
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  3:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi So-Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

A. Why are you asking about Kriya on the AYP Site?

Im sorry if im breaking a rule here. That is not my intention. I found this community to be extremely friendly. I mean no offense.

B. Why are you looking into Kriya?

My dad studied in Yogoda Ashram, Ranchi and I had known about Paramhansa Yogananda much before I had read Autobiography of a Yogi. Later my dad had joined the Air Force and could not follow up on his practices. So its not based on hearsay. I feel Kriya is something I can easily integrate into my life. Also, attraction to the discipline and being inspired by the book and the books at Yoganiketan. I have also looked into Swami Sivananda's Divine Life Society but again there are a couple of things that are restrictive - I dont think Im ready for that.

I had also spoken to the monks at Ramkrishna Mission - they are not willing to see any other discipline as a complement to theirs. So its either theirs or something else. Ive read a few books by Swami Vivekananda (I found Raja Yoga to be excellent but a bit overwhelming).

C. What is the attraction for you when it comes to Kriya?

I am attracted to the discipline. I find it to be simple. I want to pick up a spiritual discipline. I am very impressed after reading Sri Yukteshwar's The Holy Science. I did go to a SRF/YSS Camp - but i found the monks to be too impersonal. It was like they were fulfilling an obligation to the organisation but their hearts were not in it.
Despite that my interest in Kriya only increased after reading the commentaries by Lahiri Mahasay and Swami Pranabananda.
Im influenced by them.

D. Why are you interested in Sadhana (Spiritual Practices) in the first place Kriya or otherwise?

Ive always been spiritually inclined from a younger age. I had not been initiated into any disciplines yet. I love reading commentaries on the Gita or Upanishads. Its something I love to do. I have nothing against other religions. So far Ive prayed to god everyday but now something in me has changed. I want to know more. Maybe god realisation ultimately - I dont know.

So far I would sit in meditation for about 10 - 15 minutes doing nothing but watching my thoughts. This had led to a degree of clarity. But nothing else. I want to know more.

Ive read a lot of books on various subjects - Yoga, Tantra etc. Perhaps too many. Somewhere down the line I picked up some ideas which are broken. I cannot really explain it. I want to correct that - what better than to get follow a discipline. Im going to attend the friday discourse and speak to the acharyas. If I like it - I will go for initiation otherwise not. I should get a pretty good idea by then. I believe having an initiation would put me in touch with someone I can talk to and resolve my queries.

I am thinking of getting AYP's DM and SBP.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2015 :  12:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No worries no rules broken at all. No offense given or received.

Based on what you have shared I do believe it is in your best interest to pursue Kriya and your plans to talk to the Acharya’s and make up your mind from there is the best thing anyone could do.

I would caution you this much, there is allot more than you or they can communicate so do not base your entire decision based on a brief communication. With what you have shared it is not likely a mistake to take initiation and learn what they have to teach, it will be far more informative by doing than talking or guessing.

If you do learn Kriya from them It would be a good idea to take up Kriya by itself for a couple of years before even thinking of changing things.

If at some time in the future you do decide to take up AYP just realize that AYP is it’s own separate system and to try and mix the two systems will likely not work very well do to a doubling up effect of Pranayama etc…

Best wishes and hope to read about how things go for you. Feel free to email anytime if you need someone to communicate with in private that is if, after, you take initiation.

Edited by - So-Hi on Oct 26 2015 12:35:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

a80b

India
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  03:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So-Hi,

Thanks! I will.

The KYI System looks like a good place to start. Ive heard good things about them and you reconfirmed that. I have to start somewhere. Right now Im practising on sitting cross-legged with a straight back. I have a bad posture (which I have corrected to some extent) and I generally use a chair to sit on so theres a lot of stiffness I have to overcome.

Ill plan to do the practice everyday for some time - Only then I can tell if it works for me or not. I think 6 months to a year would be a sufficient time to judge for myself. But whatever practice I pick up (on the whole) - I plan to continue throughout my life.

Ill keep in touch.

Regards,

a80b
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  08:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Please do keep in touch also give the practice a minimum of 1 year in all likelyhood you will notice its value far sooner than that of course but in the span of 1 year in year two there will be many more and by year 3 you will be ready for second initiation.

There will be many changes and just remember this funny phrase:

Curiosity killed the cat; satisfaction brought him back.

My current practices are the same as you are going to learn, curiosity and satisfaction, Nuff Said.

I still support AYP 110% for those who have found their satisfaction there. It is a wonderful system.

quote:
Originally posted by a80b

So-Hi,

Thanks! I will.

The KYI System looks like a good place to start. Ive heard good things about them and you reconfirmed that. I have to start somewhere. Right now Im practising on sitting cross-legged with a straight back. I have a bad posture (which I have corrected to some extent) and I generally use a chair to sit on so theres a lot of stiffness I have to overcome.

Ill plan to do the practice everyday for some time - Only then I can tell if it works for me or not. I think 6 months to a year would be a sufficient time to judge for myself. But whatever practice I pick up (on the whole) - I plan to continue throughout my life.

Ill keep in touch.

Regards,

a80b

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  09:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish you the path you are looking for a80b
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  11:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So-Hi I shouldn't have presumed...

"My current practices are the same as you are going to learn, curiosity and satisfaction, Nuff Said."

Cool how you still advocate AYP teachings with such heartfelt enthusiasm.

Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  7:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Bill,

It is ok I understood and did not think it needed brought up but now that you have I will comment further.

Everyone must find their own way as you well know.

AYP is so much of a wonderful happening that words can go on and on about how wonderful it is. I have read that the incomparable Paramahansa Yogananda is your Ishta, yet you are a dedicated AYP Yogi.

In a way we are allot alike nonsectarian and can see the value where it exists. In my heart of hearts from direct living the yogic life I do not believe Kriya is for everyone no matter what anyone may say.

It is not a matter of devotion nor right or wrong. It is just a matter of where one truly finds there heart most satisfied.

I have taken up the AYP practices and gave them a fair try and found them to be powerful and rewarding so I do know how wonderful they are.

For me there are some issues however, due to a long practice of Kriya prior to AYP , Kechari forms on its own Level 3 & 4 every time I sit for practice and if I try to stop it I will spend the whole session sitting doing so and accomplish little else.

After so many years of Kriya there are other advanced things which have become automatic Siddhasana, Sambhavi Mudra, and other Bandhas and Mudras. Again they activate on their own and trying to stop them is like having a foot in two different boats.

As we all know these are advanced add on practices to AYP and they do not go well with people just starting the practices.

With me they tend to make AYP a bit more than I am comfortable with going into states of Samadhi that I prefer to avoid.

This led to dissatisfaction, returning to Baba’s practices led a return to satisfaction as I do not slip into the deeper Samadhi states as readily.

Being a part of the AYP community is good the people here are very special and wonderful, so knowing AYP is good it is a pleasure to recommend people to it and promote it’s ongoing existence.

Kriya is difficult to come to terms with and find the right teachers thanks to so much B.S. out there surrounding it and unless someone like the O.P. expresses like he has I can simply not recommend it over AYP especially for beginners.

The O.P. is lucky he hit pay dirt right out of the chute. With many of us even when we do, we struggle for a long time trying to make peace with all the different schools teachers frauds and people breaking oaths and writing bad books.

So yeah AYP is much better in many ways.

quote:
Originally posted by BillinL.A.

So-Hi I shouldn't have presumed...

"My current practices are the same as you are going to learn, curiosity and satisfaction, Nuff Said."

Cool how you still advocate AYP teachings with such heartfelt enthusiasm.

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  9:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How long have you been a yogi, So-Hi? My guess would be 25+ years...
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  10:03:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dogboy yes.

I was born practicing Laya Yoga going deep into the divine sound and taking my seat between the brows from my earliest recollections as a small child perhaps 3 or 4 years old.

quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

How long have you been a yogi, So-Hi? My guess would be 25+ years...

Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  11:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I second the words of So-Hi. We are all on the path of yoga, and we are so lucky that many yoga systems are available so that one really can chose the best system for his/her needs. I really appreciate the non-sectarian views of people like So-Hi who follow a specific system but are able to see the quality of other systems and even recommend different systems to other people.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  1:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A circle is cut into many segments yet all narrow to a point at its centre
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2015 :  2:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"AYP is so much of a wonderful happening that words can go on and on about how wonderful it is."

So beautiful So-Hi. Thanks for your caring reply.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000