Spinal breathing and Yogananda
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tempest

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  2:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Message
I have very much enjoyed reading Yogananda's commentry on the Gita and his autobiography. Although I do find some of what he says far fetched, I still get the impression he was a very powerful yogi and am interested in his methods.

Is spinal breathing what Yoganada taught? Was spinal breathing the key kriya for God realization? I am interested in any differences or similarities in what he taught and Yogani teaches.

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  8:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
SRF teaches the Kriya routine that Yogananda advocated. Yogani's methods are the simplest and is a blend of many systems.
Go to Top of Page

Tempest

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2015 :  08:13:52 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey thanks for your reply Jusmail. From Yoganandas website:

"4. Kriya Yoga Technique
Kriya is an advanced Raja Yoga technique of pranayama (life-energy control). Kriya reinforces and revitalizes subtle currents of life energy (prana) in the spine and brain. The ancient seers of India (rishis) perceived the brain and spine as the tree of life. Out of the subtle cerebrospinal centers of life and consciousness (chakras) flow the energies that enliven all the nerves and every organ and tissue of the body. The yogis discovered that by revolving the life current continuously up and down the spine by the special technique of Kriya Yoga, it is possible to greatly accelerate one's spiritual evolution and awareness."

Is this kriya yoga YYogani's spinal breathing or is it different?
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2015 :  11:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
It is different.

Kriya is not AYP and AYP is not Kriya there are similarities. To understand this though you will have to invest the time and learn from those who teach Kriya at SRF as Kriya is a closed system.

quote:
Originally posted by Tempest

Hey thanks for your reply Jusmail. From Yoganandas website:

"4. Kriya Yoga Technique
Kriya is an advanced Raja Yoga technique of pranayama (life-energy control). Kriya reinforces and revitalizes subtle currents of life energy (prana) in the spine and brain. The ancient seers of India (rishis) perceived the brain and spine as the tree of life. Out of the subtle cerebrospinal centers of life and consciousness (chakras) flow the energies that enliven all the nerves and every organ and tissue of the body. The yogis discovered that by revolving the life current continuously up and down the spine by the special technique of Kriya Yoga, it is possible to greatly accelerate one's spiritual evolution and awareness."

Is this kriya yoga YYogani's spinal breathing or is it different?

Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  03:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
kriya is a technique taught by lahiri that consisted of several"kriyas".ayp is a simplification of lahiri's techniques however it uses the end point srf taught. im not sure how i feel about srf claiming the kriya title. but whats it really matter
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  2:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
It matters quite a bit to devotees of different traditions and those trying to choose a spiritual practice.

Everything that follows is being shared with all not communicating with any one person. This is for all who may be pondering the topics contained within.

The whole Kriya scene is so misunderstood I think the majority of people would be better served avoiding it all together and learn AYP instead.

If a person is somehow drawn to a Guru of a lineage of Kriya then there are legitimate teachers and organizations to learn from and they are easy to discover.

Picking a lineage based on the techniques and the way they teach is not easy as the Masters who in learning from Satya Charan Lahiri Mahasaya and became masters introduced changes into Kriya. But at least they were qualified to do so.

Trying to decide which Kriya to practice based on who taught what and by the holy grail of what most closely resembles what the long departed Satya Charan Lahiri Mahasaya taught is back asswards and putting your cart before the horse.

First of all you are alive today.

Period.

What is available today is what is for you not what was available.

What was available between living persons of 200 years ago was between them and for them it is just that simple.

If you were meant to practice exactly what Satya Charan Lahiri Mahasaya taught you would have incarnated then and he would have drawn you to him plain and simple.

If you are drawn to a Lineage of Kriya and feel a deep personal connection to the Guru like Paramahamsa Hariharananda for example then rest assured that is indeed the version of Kriya for you.

If that person no longer lives you look at who is teaching what he taught who has been authorized and is in good standing with the founders wishes and see if you feel a connection to that teacher then you learn from that person as an appointed successor.

Do you get it? You do not pick the technique of a teacher and then decide oh this is the one for me.

You feel the Guru in your heart and choose him, or you feel an appointed successor who is in good standing with the founders wishes of teaching his Kriya in your heart and you learn in person from them.

When you accept the Guru or their descendent proxy and the Guru or descendent proxy is in your heart all the Kriyas become active if you do not have that connection then they will not and you should go do something else.

In the end it is not an easy path to choose and not one to be learned from former unhappy students writing books on how to practice Kriya as they are those people’s reinterpretations of how it should be done because they think they know better than those who taught them.

To lump Yogani in with those people who took an oath not to do as they have is incorrect.

To compare AYP saying it is a simplification of what Satya Charan Lahiri Mahasaya taught is incorrect.

AYP is AYP it is an open system borrowing from many traditions but Yogani who developed AYP was never a Kriyaban, nor was he ever Kriya initiated, his words not mine this can be read on the Plus Site.

The technique of Spinal Breathing can be found in many places in many traditions.

In closing the majority of people will probably not be drawn to a Kriya Guru and that is just fine.

AYP is not a closed Guru Disciple based system. AYP is available to all and make no mistake the practices of AYP are very powerful practices in their simplicity.

Edited by - So-Hi on Sep 11 2015 2:43:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  01:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
The techniques are slightly different but they serve the same purpose.
Go to Top of Page

SuperTrouper

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  01:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
The technique is slightly different, but nearly identical, truth be told.

And just to point this out to you, since you've also read his autobiography, Paramahansa Yogananda didn't achieve what he called god-realization entirely by his own effort. In the chapter "An experience in Cosmic Consciousness", you'll recall that Sri Yukteswar gave Yogananda that experience, and taught him how to reproduce the experience at will, as well as transmit it to others. And even after he experienced it, he thought he was missing something, because there was no "god" in his experience. He had to be told by Sri Yukteswar that the "ever new bliss" that he experienced was god. I think that's probably why Buddhism is inherently agnostic. You have to infer that there is a god, despite lack of proof, in order to believe that one exists -- both in the deepest states of meditation, as well as in the happenings of everyday life.

So, while yogananda put forth a lot of effort, he never achieved god-realization by practicing kriya yoga. I think that's something that a lot of people miss. And as Yogananda himself said, "When the fruit ripens, the flower falls", Since he could achieve samadhi at will, he no longer had a need for the techniques. .... The techniques that he promised millions and millions of people would grant them the same experience he could command at will -- which he didn't achieve by his own techniques, but by his guru's transfer of energy back in India.

I think that's why a lot of people have been burned by the promises SRF and Yogananda had made. Especially since SRF panders rather fairytale notions that tug at the heartstrings of innocent people. It's excellent marketing, and some of it is certainly true, but it is, perhaps, a little out of touch with reality.

However, if you really want to find out the techniques, you can just google it. His original lessons are old enough that SRF no longer has copyrights to them, and they can be downloaded relatively easily from the web. You can also find them reprinted in the appendix of "Kriya Secrets Revealed" on Amazon. You will probably be somewhat disappointed, though... I know I was.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  09:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000