Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 The Heart or hridaya
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  1:58:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

Namaste,

Much is written about the heart. Most notably it’s not the physical heart that the saints discuss, but that of hridaya. Perhaps , if you have information/opinions on this it would be a good subject to bring to the forum.

Here is a few points on the subject, as we start with it’s definition.
Hridaya is made of 3 phonemes of hri + da+ ya and in sanskrit means heart,yet the sages always have deeper meanings:

Hr root means to attract or to pull. Some say Hr is to be modest or bashful. We find many key words with Hr at its root...that is Hri for modesty, also the most noted Hrim ( or Hreem) bija mantra.
This Hrim bija is known as the lajja bija mantra of the Tantrics. It is associated with Bhuvaneshwari, and she owns space/akasha.
In the ved, Bhuvaneshwari is Aditi or the great mother. Aditi is brhat or vastness, infinite consciousness, like akasha, everywhere. Some call this the supreme akasha or paraman vyomam.

One side note of Aditi, as her name is from a+diti or the opposite or without (a) + didi or duality. She is without duality or all pervasive. Some also say aditi is from the root ad Or to eat/swallow. Eat what? All of existence as she ( consciousness like akasha) pervades or ‘swallows’ everything i.e. no-thing is with out paraman vyomam.

Why I enjoy this Hrim – it is the sound of space, and the sadhu can connect to the paraman vyomam with this mantra of Hreem which supports all.

Da means a few things as we have discussed in older the post on Da Da Da:
Da = self-control (damam)
Da = charity (dana)
Da = compassion/kindness (dayam)

Ya = to go. One use is yatra, or a pilgrimage. The ultimate pilgrimage is that of kavaliya. We also see ‘ya’ at the root of yantra which to compel or restrain. Where yantra’s may help the sadhu with sadhana. ‘Ya’ is also found in yatamana or engage in effort. So, this root implies movement.

This word then of hridaya is quite profound on its own and in the Hridaya Brahmana suggests it is Brahman,within the heart as prjapati.

So when we put hridaya together , it’s the meditation that brings one (ya) to the vastness (brhat) of infinite consciousness ( from hr) with the fullness of compassion + charity + self-control.

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  5:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Goodday,

I just tried to read your post as soon as I got to the hridaya word my head bowed down.......that's all I can tell you for now

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  5:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

quote:
Originally posted by nsantoo

I just tried to read your post as soon as I got to the hridaya word my head bowed down.......that's all I can tell you for now

Namaste nsantoo and gah-day,
Thank you for your note... I am in hopes that the head bowed down as it looked and realized the space within the heart.

This whole notion of the space and SELF in the heart is throughout the Upanishads and in the Bhagavad-Gita on many occasions.

I hope that the info I pass on helps ... I am definitely NOT the owner or author of this most supreme knowledge - just a student ( sisya) for some time.

Pranams,

Edited by - Frank-in-SanDiego on Oct 14 2006 5:41:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  11:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
it is the solar plexus, wirtch has the potential to turn into a heart of gold! haha mabey mabey
it seems the solar plexus is connected to the third eye. the left side of my heart is open, and the right side is opening. at the moment i am experiancing an unpleasent warm feeling, like that of being sick or hungry. i may be sick, or it may be due to other things.

i believe this center can become enlivined, and be a great center, but who knows.
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  01:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The following article and link will hopefully be of interest in relation to this topic.

HRIDAYA: Sanskrit for Heart

Most people, yoga adherents as well, think of the heart as being on the left side. When Mercedes De Acosta met with the Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi at his ashram the Maharshi placed his right hand in the form of a fist on her right breast and said:

"Here lies the Heart, the Dynamic, Spiritual Heart. It is called Hridaya and is located on the right side of the chest and is clearly visible to the inner eye of an adept on the Spiritual Path. Through meditation you can learn to find the Self in the cave of this Heart." (see)

A staunch devotee of the Bhagavan sent a letter from England asking for an explanation as to the term Hridaya and its significance. The following is the gist of the reply written by T. K. Sundaresa Iyer and approved by the Bhagavan:

"Just as there is a cosmic center from which the whole universe arises and has its being and functions with the power or the directing energy emanating therefrom, so also is there a center within the frame of the physical body wherein we have our being. This center in the human body is in no way different from the cosmic center. It is this center in us that is called the Hridaya, the seat of Pure Consciousness, realized as Existence, Knowledge and Bliss. This is really what we call the seat of God in us."

"It is this Hridaya that is said to be different from the physical heart, regulating the blood circulation. The Hridaya has its being on the right side and is not commonly known or felt. The primary thought in us arising as 'I,' when traced to its source, ends somewhere in us and this place, where all thoughts die, where the ego has vanished, is the Hridaya. From this center is felt and enjoyed the Pure Consciousness."

"Hridaya described as 'the literal, actual, physical seat of the intuition of the Self' has the meaning explained above. Perhaps the words 'physical seat' may create some confusion. What it really means is that there is a center of Pure Consciousness in the physical body. It is related to the physical, but is not itself physical."

"The word Hridaya is a composite of hrid and ayam - "center, this". It is the center on the right, which we reach as a result of meditation (Samadhi). From the Hridaya, consciousness arises to the sahasrara through the sushumna and from there spreads out to all the parts of the body through the several 'nadis'. Then alone we become conscious of the objects around us. Man, due to the illusion that these have real existence, experiences suffering, as he strays far away from his Self. The seat from where all these arise and manifest is the Hridaya."

"Whether in sleep, joy, sorrow, fear or satisfaction, we return to this heart and that is why we feel lost to all consciousness of things around. If by Meditation or Vichara we attain to our centre, the Hridaya, and thus are our real Self, we enjoy unalloyed bliss."

"In the course of tracing ourselves back to our Source, when all thoughts have vanished, there arises a throb from the Hridaya on the right, manifesting as 'Aham' 'Aham'. This is the sign that Pure Consciousness is beginning to reveal itself. But that is not the end in itself. Watch wherefrom this sphurana (throbbing) arises and wait attentively and continually for the revelation of the Self. Then comes the awareness, oneness of existence."

"When we steady our breath we feel the steadying of our thoughts. Then the thoughts turn inward and melt away at a point. Watching this point, where the thoughts vanish, will also help us to merge ourselves in the Hridaya."

From "Moments Remembered" collected anecdotes about Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi, compiled by V. Ganesan

http://www.ramana-maharshi.org/page1.htm

Hari OM!

Doc
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000