Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Sweating - stay hot or cool down?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Grimpy_OM

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  9:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been sweating during SBP and yoni mudra and sometimes into DM. Nothing major mostly on my forehead and eyelids. A quick search told me that it is a symptom of purification/removing obstructions.

I'm just wondering if there is any benefit to staying hot vs. turning on the ceiling fan to get more comfortable. My inner guru hears Yogani saying this should be enjoyable so get comfortable. Then I think that if there is even a little benefit to staying hot I'll take the benefit.

What do you think?

Grimpy

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  01:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Grimpy Om,

Welcome to the AYP forums. If it will making you feel more comfortable, turn on your fan. The sweating will pass sooner or later. It is a very personal choice, I remember my hot flushes in yoga practices, I preferred the warmth over fans or airco. Listen to yourself in this.

Happy practice
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  2:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi!
If the ambient is cool, better. It helps perceive cold in the spine during inhalation. Try to perceive this
Go to Top of Page

Grimpy_OM

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2015 :  9:25:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Charliedog and Will Power. During SBP I have mostly had feelings of heat coming down during exhale. Very seldom do I feel the cool in inhale. I didn't realize there might be a connection between that and my sweating.

I'll keep the fan on and work more on the cool sensation during inhale.

Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  4:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are welcome. Indeed heat is perceived during the exhalation and try to perceive cold during the inhalation.
Best!
Go to Top of Page

Grimpy_OM

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  3:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I did a few experiments to see if I could perceive the cool on inhalation. It seems the biggest factor for me was using a high backed chair for my sitting practices. My knees can't handle Siddhasana so I sit in the most comfortable chair I have which is an old high backed Lazy Boy office chair. It keeps my back warm while I'm sitting in it.

I tried a low back chair, ceiling fan on medium, and taking off my shirt. By using all 3 I get the cool coming up and the cool mint sensation in my gut and arms. Now I am not feeling the heat very much so I need to work on finding a happy medium. I still am sweating but don't feel hot if that makes any sense.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  4:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Grimpy_OM

Sweating makes perfect sense that is purification. Make sure the throat is slightly constricted on the exhale you should feel the heat.

By the way it is okay if these sensations are not felt when you go even deeper the outer sensations will be pulled within and that is Pratyahara, Sense withdrawal so don't hold onto Hot and Cold sensations that will keep you on the surface.

The only real thing to be done is arrive at the brow on the inhalation and the root on the exhalation easily favoring the practice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000