Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Noticeable benefits of meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Inspired

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2015 :  2:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I have been practicing DM for around 3 weeks now. What I would like to know is what are the early/intermediate noticeable and tangible effects/benefits of meditation that I will have? Essentially, I'm looking for something that I can spot and is clearly the result of my meditation rather than just a coincidence (e.g. something that could be put down to merely having a good day and feeling good, which could happen anytime). I'd like to know this not only as a gauge of my progress but also to motivate me to continue meditating regularly when I can see that I'm actually making progress. Ideally, something tangible and not vague. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Inspired

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2015 :  4:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A wearing away begins ,I would say it is like bowl of clear water and slowly a concentrated coloured liquid is added drop by drop at first there is not much colour to see in the clear liquid but over time the water becomes more dense with what is being added I know this is vague but only time and all the components of a sadhana come together do we really notice our inner self as different
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2015 :  4:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Inspired,

I'm by no means an expert on meditation, but I would think that meditation without dharma living would not work very well. You'd see some benefits such as more calm, less angry, more centered, more contemplative, more creative, your inner-being opens up, etc. BUT lets say you just meditate and live the life of a criminal, well than that just wouldn't work see? Thats what Siddhartha tried to explain is that meditation is only "part" of a way of life, not the end goal itself.

Even though I don't think I answered your question, hope it still helps.

Peace my friend.
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2015 :  9:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You should generally feel calmer and happier at the start. But its hard to pin these effects down to your practice or mere placebo. Frankly I think it is a bit of both. Moving further into your meditation practice, you should begin to see how much of a mess your life actually is: a sign of unconscious habits now being noticed consciously. Then begins the improvement, which is very slow. But the major effects for me are less reactivity to trigger situations, less ups and downs and extremity of emotions. I find it more difficult to get away with actions that I know will generate negative emotions (bad habit patterns). Now, does meditation practice specifically lead to this? I don't have a clear answer for you. My life has undoubtedly improved since I began meditation, but I also began to improve my conduct in daily life in conjunction. As well as deliberately try to break habits that were generating negative emotions. Which of the approaches is actually helping me, I can't really say. Perhaps meditation enables me to respond actively in daily life and break habits, probably by seeing the situation more clearly. alecpeace's answer is quite appropriate. Mental and spiritual transformation is not linear at all, you have to experiment around and see what works. What I've tried to do here is lay out a realistic view of a somewhat experienced meditator.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2015 :  06:59:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Inspired

Also you may notice any of the following:
- longer attention span
- better/sharper focus
- thinking as in problem-solving, completing mind talks seems easier/more efficient
- it can become easier to relate to people.
Go to Top of Page

Inspired

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2015 :  5:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the good answers, I especially liked ak33's answer, makes a lot of sense.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000