Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Pain as Prerequisite??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  5:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I'm just writing to take some issue and air out my beliefs regarding what I've read in the article linked below, Is Pain a Prerequisite for Peace?

http://www.aypsite.org/168.html

So..

Does AYP really help release all the crap from the mind? You know, the regret over previous mistakes, the pain of being emotionally unnourished as a child, the inner rage and depression and fear? This stuff goes deep into childhood wounding.

Most other methodologies involve a degree of bringing the crap up, facing it, and integrating it. Psychotherapy, Shadow work, 12-step. What about integrating all the disowned aspects of self? What about childhood emotional wounding?

Just "sit twice a day" and it will all sort itself out seems a bit unbelievable to me.

I'm having a sore day, today. Sitting in my mess.

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  8:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. Each meditation session, done consistently, will gradually clear you of the impurities.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  9:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack...

Just one perspective here, but I required additional methods to address all the deep wounding/childhood conditioning etc. AYP helped in some ways but I found that with additional techniques/practices that were specifically designed to help with this kind of unwinding there seemed to be quicker resolution. Obviously that is speculation though as I didn't stick with just AYP for more than about 5 years before applying secondary techniques and moving away from AYP as my main set of practices.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jul 13 2015 9:14:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  11:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings Jack,

The first step in dealing effectively with pain is not identifying with it. Loosening identification is not something that can be forced, and that is why Deep Meditation is the delicate art of creating inner space to witness all sensations in our field of perception.

What is amazing is that inner silence grants us leeway to view memories, including the most painful ones, with a new kind of freedom. There is a silent core that is unaffected. That spaciousness doesn't make the pain any less real; it merely puts the pain in its proper place.

Like Carson, I have tried other methods, including therapeutic counseling. Some of that helped a little, but over the past 5 years, the AYP stuff has helped significantly more. Meditation is not enough though. I've had to live fully and do lots of grounding with Mother Nature. Bhakti (devotion) is the key.

Pain is perfect in its role, which is to inform our mind about the landscape we are navigating. Yoga is the art of merging with inner silence, ecstasy, and the landscape itself. Pain is a helpful teacher in this process.

Godspeed.
Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2015 :  1:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A combination of obsessive guilt with overly aggressive spiritual practices is causing instability, I suspect.

I've not practiced AYP in 5 months, I've been sitting an hour a day with Holosync, as well as aggressive bioenergetic practices (ala Alexander Lowen) and shamanic practices. Also seeing a body psychotherapist once a week and using other sound healing technology... that does sound a lot now I've written it out like that. Oh and Kundalini Yoga. Ouch..

Stirred a lot of negativity up, plus being faced with an age-old guilt/shame/fear pattern, without much inner stability or compassion, just more self-criticism.

I may need to rethink my approach!

Edited by - Jack on Jul 14 2015 1:51:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2015 :  2:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Be gentle on yourself
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2015 :  3:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jack,

Kumar is right. You are doing too much. I would cut back on practices till you start feeling better.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2015 :  4:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Just "sit twice a day" and it will all sort itself out seems a bit unbelievable to me.

The simplest solutions are often hidden in plain sight. I recommended starting again with meditation (maybe spinal breathing too) on its own and discover how effective it is at addressing your issues.
Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2015 :  03:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you...

I'm cutting out most practices. Keeping Holosync as a sleep-aid and introducing a 1/day session of DM (with a couple minutes of spinal breathing). Also got some Rhodiola, St John's Wort and Fish oil just to help support.

I think this may be a more sane way forwards.. we will see.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2015 :  5:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
when i first started as a gardener i would try to accomplish all my tasks in the time given now i leave jobs for the next or another time everything still looks nice there is more variety maybe little overgrown in places but the form has its own beauty i have learnt not to fiddle too much just do enough and in general just let creation have its way a bit like yoga really i do my bit in the ayp way and see what happens i always exspect a rose with a wonderfull fragrance but i am also surprised by how beautiful the wild flowers can be more intricate in way and much more interesting as you have to really study them and they flourish without my help ,i suppose jack what i really want to say is cultivate the gound of your heart with one fine tool a plough for the field or hoe for the weeds on the allotment but dont confuse the two and at some points just water no need for anything else much love fellow traveller

Edited by - kumar ul islam on Jul 19 2015 7:53:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  1:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack,

I agree with others here: It sounds like you have been doing a lot to stir things up. Taking it easy for a while would be a very good move! And then cultivating a stable meditation practice. It sounds like you are on the right road already.

As for integrating the shadow and dealing with childhood traumas etc., all of that is encompassed in yoga. Everything that has happened to us in the past is stored in the body on the subtle level. Through yoga, we purify the body and clear out blockages. Past traumas are released and are no longer experienced as trauma. They are simply no longer held in the body. Things that we may have thought of as "shadow", are no longer shadow when the light is let in. The purification of the subtle body is literally the process of letting in the light.

The end game of yoga is a stage which is referred to in Sasnskrit as "Yoga chitta vritti nirodha". Literally it means that yoga is the cessation of the agitation of the lower mental. All the things you have described above are simply various states of agitation of the lower mental. "Vritti" literally means "whirlpool", "chitta" is the lower mind and "nirodha" is the "cessation of". Sounds like it is time to end the whirlpool.

You may find this lesson useful on the subject of psychotherapy:

Yoga and Western Psychotherapy

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  12:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating. Thank you, Kumar and Christi. I will have more questions I'm sure.
Go to Top of Page

RamSeva

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2015 :  1:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Spinal breathing and deep meditation will naturally bring up this I need to heal within myself and give me the peace and insight to be able to observe and love that wounded part of myself. With this comes healing.
At least that's how it works for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000