Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Ayam - translation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Babaly

USA
112 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  7:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Babaly's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone... back from vacation:-)

I remember someone asking the translation of 'Ayam' / 'I am' - in sanskrit. Couldn't find the original post - sorry - but the translation is:

Expanding / Expansion.

Hope you are all doing well.... happy to be back

Babaly

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  03:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Babaly

Hi everyone... back from vacation:-)

I remember someone asking the translation of 'Ayam' / 'I am' - in sanskrit. Couldn't find the original post - sorry - but the translation is:

Expanding / Expansion.

Hope you are all doing well.... happy to be back

Babaly

Hi Babaly,

I have always seen "Ayam" equated to "this" - specifically the "thisness" of [the One] manifested reality, per the Mahavakya ("Great Statement") --

"Ayam Atma Brahma".

I certainly don't mean to disagree with you (I don't disagree) - I'm just curious as to the basis for your definition. Because "ayam" refers to the "One This"-ness ... I can certainly see how it could also be translated as "expansion".

For anyone who has interest, here's a bit of info on that particular (one of four) Mahavakya [reference web address http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/p...anch_05.html ] - this page has info on all four Mahavakyas - Tat Tvam Asi - "You Are That" - being the most well-known one.

'This Self is Brahman'

The Mahavakya, 'Ayam Atma Brahma' or 'This Self is Brahman', occurs in the Mandukya Upanishad. 'Ayam' means 'this', and here 'thisness' refers to the self-luminous and non-mediate nature of the Self, which is internal to everything, from the Ahamkara or ego down to the physical body.

This Self is Brahman, which is the substance out of which all things are really made. That which is everywhere, is also within us, and what is within us is everywhere. This is called 'Brahman', because it is plenum, fills all space, expands into all existence, and is vast beyond all measure of perception or knowledge.

On account of self-luminosity, non-relativity and universality, Atman and Brahman are the same.

This identification of the Self with Absolute is not any act of bringing together two differing natures, but is an affirmation that absoluteness or universality includes everything, and there is nothing outside it.

Jayayam & Namaste,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  07:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

'This Self is Brahman'

The Mahavakya, 'Ayam Atma Brahma' or 'This Self is Brahman', occurs in the Mandukya Upanishad. 'Ayam' means 'this', and here 'thisness' refers to the self-luminous and non-mediate nature of the Self, which is internal to everything, from the Ahamkara or ego down to the physical body.

This Self is Brahman, which is the substance out of which all things are really made. That which is everywhere, is also within us, and what is within us is everywhere. This is called 'Brahman', because it is plenum, fills all space, expands into all existence, and is vast beyond all measure of perception or knowledge.

On account of self-luminosity, non-relativity and universality, Atman and Brahman are the same.

This identification of the Self with Absolute is not any act of bringing together two differing natures, but is an affirmation that absoluteness or universality includes everything, and there is nothing outside it.

I strongly support the above

Based on my experience last year....it was perhaps the second week or so after receiving shaktipat...

On my way to an educational institution since I was in my final year...
upon stepping into the taxi appoximately 1.5 mins the driver coming onto the ramp of the highway there they were...

Usually I pick up animals smell before I see them this time it did not happen....I didn't smell anything

A herd of cattle....on the highway on the left hand side

In front of the herd was a white beautiful cow(finest thing I ever saw)...(I know there's perhaps none of it in trinidad)just like in the picture with lord shiva(identical)
looking at me.....

I was worried thinking the driver was going to crash into them

but he didn't......non of the passengers in the taxi saw them

but upon passing through the herd The word "Brahma" came out of my mouth

I was mesmerised at the moment what occurred because the taxi partially through the herd.....

but months after I finally made sense what happened, I realised that he is within us....our consciousness everything you said above.
I also recalled begging the universal supreme to reveal yourself because I thought I wasn't going to make it.....(didn't know yoga was really the path to take)

I guess it was their way of letting me know of the reality and to look further within...

Upon researching the scriptures (bhagavad geeta)revealed the identical thing.

and there you go my version and experience with brahma....

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  09:08:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
nsantoo,
thanks for relating that lovely experience.
i agree with the above translation. i have understood it to mean "this one", "this self", and "this soul".
Go to Top of Page

Babaly

USA
112 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  10:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Babaly's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for your enlightening words...

I got the translation from a book I was reading by a sanskrit scholar called Swami Satyeswarananda Vidyaratna Maharaj. The Book is called Babaji: The Divine Himalayan Yogi and His legacy (1983, Sanskrit classics. 764 pages).

He was expounding on the meaning of the word "Pranayana" which he devided into 2 words - the first prana = breath / lifeforce or actually the source of all life.

Then he goes on to translate Ayam to mean = expansion, extending, stretching, restraining, controlling and stopping.

Therefore pranyama can be translated as: 'The expansion of the source of all life' or 'Controlling the breath'.

But as always in sanskrit it is up to the translator to fashion the nuance and translate in an elegant way.

So maybe Ayam means both.....

Love and light,
Babaly
Go to Top of Page

aditya

82 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  06:34:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit aditya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Babaly,

Check it again - it may be Aayaam. Aayaam means dimension, expansion. Idam nav aayaamam will translate to - This is new expansion/dimension.

Ayam has only one meaning.

Edited by - aditya on Sep 25 2006 09:21:03 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000