Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Shifting gears
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  09:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,
Have been doing AYP meditation since mid September last year. SBP 5 min, DM 15, and Samyama 10 min are regular. Global meditation is a regular part of the weekend. Have added YMK amonth ago.

Here are a few questions to you wise souls:

1. How long after starting AYP did you switch over to the first mantra enhancement?
2. Have you noticed any difference between using the original enhancement versus the alternative mantra enhancement suggested in lesson 369?
3. Lesson 91 has this to say:
When we are retaining the breath during yoni mudra, we gently lift our
diaphragm a little and pull our belly in. This ties in with mulabandha coming up
from the anal sphincter through the pelvis. Uddiyana does wonders as we are sitting in siddhasana
too. Uddiyana, which means, "to fly up," is connected with the activity in the
pelvis, and carries it all up much higher. Because we are full of air in yoni mudra
kumbhaka, we will not be pulling up with the diaphragm very much. Just a little.

Any tips here to direct the pressure towards the chest rather than downwards. Should the pressure be felt? One more question if I may ask:

4. Approximately how long after starting AYP did you add the self enquiry sutra to the core samyama?

Thanks for your answers

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  09:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1. Guru urged me at nine months. Yours results may vary.
2. It fit like a glove instantly and I never looked back.
3. I would engage mulahbanda and uddiana Banda before the chin lock (jalandhara), to encourage the upward flow with directed attention.
4. I always felt self inquiry was like a conversation with guru; perhaps ask him/her?
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  5:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
for me the mantra enhancement made the deep meditation deeper ,though not without a period of settling in ,balance between all the practices are important ,a little more here ,a little less there ,for me no strict rules but continued practice every twice a day many blessing on your path and i hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  05:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Enhancing the mantra is like adding a new practice. Safe-pacing has to be carefully considered.

quote:
Originally posted by yogani
It is good to err on the side of caution. Moderate daily practice according to our capacity, taking months at least between additions (not days or weeks), will lead to balanced results

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
867 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  10:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello jusmail -
It sounds like you have a full and regular routine of advanced yoga practices. Nice work!

As in regard to your questions, there are no perfect answers, because each of us is different, with a different history and style of practice. You are in the best position to judge what works for you. In my case:

1. I added the first mantra enhancement after about a year of AYP meditation. However, I did have many years of prior meditation with another similar mantra.

2. You ask if there are differences in DM with mantra enhancements. As the mantra lengthens, the sound gets more complex. It takes a little longer to get in meditation, and then it is a little slower to get deeper and deeper in meditation. This is true especially at the beginning, after you switch to the longer mantra. In time, as you get used to it, you can train yourself to go faster in deep meditation with the longer mantra. The enhanced mantra triggers broader purifications in the nervous system. In my case, each enhanced mantra has led to deeper states of meditation, it has made clearer the process of going deeper in meditation. Each mantra enhancement has made the sound "stickier" - it is easier to follow it, therefore the mind gets calmer, there are less thought intrusions. Considering all of this, I find it compelling to switch to the next mantra enhancement when you are ready. That means, at least a couple of months of stable smooth practice, doing what you are doing without introducing new elements. You will know when you are ready.

3. Doing uddiyana during breath retention while in yoni mudra could be a challenge. It will be easier if you master uddiyana by itself first. Look up the instructions in the AYP lesson 129, or go to a asana class and ask a teacher. Uddiyana is usually done after the air is expelled from lungs. As the diaphragm lifts, the pressure goes gently up, in the thorax. You can visualize the flow of energy up the spinal cord with each uddiyana. After you master it, you can add uddiyana to your spinal breathing, and later to your yoni mudra. Take your time to make sure you master uddiyana, before you combine it with other techniques.

4. The self-inquiry sutra appeared and disappeared numerous times in my practice over the years. If you are curious, you should try it. Does it move the stillness for you? Is anything happening? If it does, continue. If it does not, let it go, and come back to it later.

Only recently the self-inquiry has become a constant in my practice. It seems that I needed to reach a certain stage in DM, or a certain level of stillness/witness, to awaken a "need" for self-inquiry. I find self-inquiry not at all automatic, but a very creative, exploratory, inventive process. The sutra moves the silence, but self-inquiry is so much more... Ha ha, I did not get to the bottom of it. Additional research is needed.
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - May 09 2015 :  7:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all of you for your fantastic responses. Thankfully, the urge to switch gears was weak and faded over a period of a week. I will continue with the status quo for now.

Thanks all once again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000