Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Fresh air in the nose ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  12:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I've been practicing for almost 3 months thus only a beginner (and a french one so pardon my english).
I've never done anything before related to yoga practices so a real beginner (maybe systema martial art could be considered as somehow related with a kind of pranayama and "let go" attitude while fighting)

I added pranayama after one month of practice
Then samyama after 2 months of practice.

I've never felt that much imbalanced excerpt on a few occasions (although I may experience a light dizziness and difficulties to concentrate right now during the day whereas I felt the contrary the first weeks ... with a few headaches also ;))

Sorry for being talkative but this is to give some context.
So, I found samyama to be extremely powerful. I lose the sense of time while doing it and it can easily take 20 minutes to accomplish the core 9 prayers...
It takes me almost 2 hours a day for the two sessions...

I've been experiencing so many things but nothing exceptional till then, compared to what I've read in this forum.

But... I've never read anything about having the impression to smell "minty" air. I know mint relates to prana but just wanted to know if it was really the case ?
Did you also experience that your breathing capacity also dramatically increased at the same time ? It is as if you had four lungs even though i do smoke 15 cig per day.

I mean, I can easily grasp this fresh air impression in a few seconds the moment I sit and calm down.
This morning, I was attending a meeting and had to calm down the impression of prana going throug my legs, feet and arms, plus the fresh air and light dizziness which makes difficult concentration.

So, is it related to prana ?

Everytime I sit and just calm down a bit and it starts automatically wherever I am (tube for instance)... but I can still control it.
Am I doing too much or is it ok ?

I also have much more difficulties to reach inner silence in the morning session than the evening one ? Any advice ? FYI, I do not eat anything before those.

I do not intend to add any other practice for a while (I am far from mastering pranayama !!!)
When having difficulties to get a good level of inner silence, especially in the morning, I also discovered that repeating the mantra more ofen worked better : weird ! On the contrary, in the evening, I do it in a more subtle way and spaced in time and it works even better but only in the evening !!!

Finally, how do you OVERCOME the sudden discovery of being almost lost when reaching what I think is inner silence ? It is as if I was somewhere else with no time or space indication and it is really difficult to not get confused and keep it ... not to say impossible

Sorry for the long post but so many questions to ask and nobody to share with...
I've had discussions with some people doing yoga for decades, but none are currently meditating. They are doing only asanas and weird practices but never experienced the prana thing...
I feel like a weirdo when talking about this ...

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  1:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bonsoir Apkallu!

the symptoms you describe are similar to my own experiences in the first months of AYP. Now things are smooth. But in the beginning it was confusing and at times even scary when those things happened.

Losing the sense of time and doing samyama for 20 minutes is not what the lessons recommend, if I remember well.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  5:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Apkallu, welcome!

1. "Minty freshness" could mean purification happening from your practices. Advanced yogis can have the taste of mint if they are in an amarita stage, but I doubt this is happening to you. Most likely your breathing/lung capacity has improved, and you (hopefully) will find cigarette smoking has less appeal.

2. Some yogis have more difficulty settling in the morning, others it is the later sit that's harder. It's an individual thing. Perhaps some asanas before you begin might settle you in. I wouldn't "customize" how you repeat the mantra from one session to another, just stay with one way you can easily favor.

3. When you become "lost" and recognize it, simply return to the mantra and carry on. The manta is your tether in the depths of DM.

4. If samyama is taking 20 minutes, perhaps you are allowing too much time between sutras.

Overall, sounds like things are progressing fine for you
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2015 :  10:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to both of you for your prompt answers.

quote:
Losing the sense of time and doing samyama for 20 minutes is not what the lessons recommend, if I remember well.

Of course. Unless, as Yogani said, this is something you cannot control.

quote:
1. "Minty freshness" could mean purification happening from your practices. Advanced yogis can have the taste of mint if they are in an amarita stage, but I doubt this is happening to you. Most likely your breathing/lung capacity has improved, and you (hopefully) will find cigarette smoking has less appeal.

Yes. I do not smell mint odors but only get fresh air as if I was breathing with a -20 °C temperature ;)
I think it is related to the fact that my nose and sinus are prana filled.

quote:
2. Some yogis have more difficulty settling in the morning, others it is the later sit that's harder. It's an individual thing. Perhaps some asanas before you begin might settle you in. I wouldn't "customize" how you repeat the mantra from one session to another, just stay with one way you can easily favor.

As I cannot attend classes to learn asanas, I have tried Pilates and it seems to work with a little bit of stretching / massages.
I will nevertheless try asanas also.
I've bought the first five books of Yogani in French. Material for years/decades to come !
I prefer to have them in French for my family ;)

quote:
3. When you become "lost" and recognize it, simply return to the mantra and carry on. The manta is your tether in the depths of DM.

To me, there are different situations where you are lost.
The one where you suddenly recover and remind that your are meditating or doing samyama.
And another one where you are conscious to be somewhere else (ie very high from your usual state of consciousness) and do not want to come back ==> inner silence ?!
You do want to keep that state but can't for long as soon as you realize being there

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  04:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I placed my hands on a friends head to give them energy and they experienced a minty taste so it does seem energy related.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  6:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
does the taste remain throughout the day or is it for short bursts?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000