Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 AYP & Autism Spectrum Disorder & ACC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

justaguy

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2015 :  6:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit justaguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I just wanted to comment that Deep Meditation continues to be so "useful" in so many ways. I was born on the autism spectrum as well as being born with a profound brain defect (Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum.)

One of the things that autistics and those with ACC have great difficulty with is Theory of Mind (the ability to attribute mental states — beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge, etc. — to oneself and others and to understand that others have beliefs, desires, intentions, and perspectives that are different from one's own) consistently, and Deep Meditation actually "flipped a switch" inside me years ago to where ToM is not only possible but can be deep and penetrating at times.

In my ACC and ASD community, I have been asked about meditation many times, often I will lead them in the direction of AYP, yet some, I think feel they aren't ready to learn something they call "yoga"...etc.... I have, with these people done the best that I can to teach them the technique, without plagiarizing Yogani's fantastic work.

I'm curious if any one knows of any studies that have looked at the effect of DM (or even "TM") on those with developmental disabilities, such as myself? For the few I have taught it to, it consistently CAN and often does appear to evoke ToM (again, which is "missing" in the brains of those with these disabilties) but I really would be curious if there has been any research on it.

For those that are interested in adult autism and/or Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum (my brain defect) I have a blog that I use to educated about it called A Boy With a Whole in His Head~a day in the life of a man born without a Corpus Callosum, should anyone be interested.

Would love ya'll's feedback!
Joseph

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2015 :  11:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello justaguy

It's wonderful news that you have been able to reverse the effects of ACC.
Tell us more about it? Is your ACC partial or complete? And did you find it difficult to begin meditation - that is to concentrate on the object of meditation?

Some scientists have thought about the potential benefits of meditation in autistic people. Have a look at this article:
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/aurt/2012/835847/

Perhaps the authors will appreciate hearing from you if you cared to contact them. You are in a position to offer a case study and – who knows? - perhaps even help make a case for starting a piece of research.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Feb 13 2015 11:08:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

justaguy

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2015 :  12:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit justaguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would not say that I have "reversed" the effects of ACC (I have cACC complete ACC), but the techniques have helped me cope, and even thrive despite of it.

Oddly enough, I actually found DM extremly EASY, DM requires a "different type" of concentration, being "attracted to the mantra" is more of a function of the brains ability to obsess (in my mind anyhow), which is (OCD and obsessive thinking) part and parcel one of the issues with ACC.

I just read the extract of the study and sent off an email to Sonia Sequeira, PhD...I will let you'all know if I hear back from her...

Thank you for your comments!
~Joseph

quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

hello justaguy

It's wonderful news that you have been able to reverse the effects of ACC.
Tell us more about it? Is your ACC partial or complete? And did you find it difficult to begin meditation - that is to concentrate on the object of meditation?

Some scientists have thought about the potential benefits of meditation in autistic people. Have a look at this article:
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/aurt/2012/835847/

Perhaps the authors will appreciate hearing from you if you cared to contact them. You are in a position to offer a case study and – who knows? - perhaps even help make a case for starting a piece of research.

Edited by - justaguy on Feb 13 2015 12:55:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000