Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Spiritual Biographies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  11:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys, I love reading spiritual biographies and was wondering if you knew of any good ones. Nothing fuels my bhakti more than reading about someone's journey to realization . I've read the mainstream ones like Autobiography of a Yogi, Apprenticed to a Himalayan Master.

Any other ones?

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  11:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Would you be interested in fiction on spiritual themes?
I quite like Hermann Hesse's "Siddhartha" and "Journey to the East"
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  11:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah sure, I've read Siddhartha and it's fantastic
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  4:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
'This house is on Fire' biography of DhyanyogiMadhusudandasji. Amazing inspiration.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  10:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gopi Krishna's books fall into this category
Go to Top of Page

Sol Invictus

91 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2014 :  01:21:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Purana purusha" is spiritual biography of Yogiraj Lahiri Mahasaya.
Some parts may be boring/confusing for you if you are not a kriyaban.Those would be like "technical" stuff about Kriya,Prana and similar subjects.Rest are interesting stories from Baba's life.
Go to Top of Page

kkeskar92

India
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2014 :  11:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some that I have read...

"Chit Shakti Vilas" by Mukatananda
"Living with Himalayan Masters" by Swami Rama
"In search of secret India" by Paul Brunton
And some biographies of Indian saints like Swami Samarth.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2014 :  02:15:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The holy stream: The inspiring life-story of Swami Chidananda
by Sarat Chandra Behera

although it is hard to get unless you are in India
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2014 :  09:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In quest of god, by swami ramdas
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  2:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As already mentioned:

Play of Consciousness: A Spiritual Autobiography by Swami Muktananda

He comes to his guru Nithyananda and learns a technique to come in perfect sync with his master. Then by his grace and yogic instruction he practices until frution within some months or very few years.

Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East

A classic, some scientific people go to the east and meat several people who are living for hundreds of years, the so called masters of the east. Among them are yogis and others. Then some of the group decide to learn from them and progress quite rapidly with their help. Dramatic inspiration and fuel for bhakti!

The Masters and the Path by Charles W. Leadbeater

This is from the theosophy times, controversially spoken of, but a big inspiration nonetheless. Leadbeater learns under Kuthumi a specific kriya which he practices for 40 days, awakening the kundalini and directing it through specific chakras and by that gaining permanent full clairvoyance. Then he starts to write about the different densities of mind and matter, giving great insights to the people of that time.

Wings to Freedom by Gurunath

Gurunath has written a book similiar to the autobiography of a yogi. It is not as good due to his different more scientific nature, still it is a very inspirational read with a lot of information coming directly from his own experiences.

Lifetimes Three by Jaggi Vasudev

This is a very short online-bio covering three lifetimes by Jaggi. It has 4 tabs, one for each lifetime, while the first one starts with its end, therefore he speaks of three. This one puts all our yogic efforts into SCALE like no other!

A Collection of Biographies of 4 Kriya Yoga Gurus

I only read a fourth of it, that from Lahiri Mahasaya and learned more than I thought about how he managed to practice kriya and still continue to work and be a father to a family.

Lion Of Siddhas: The Life And Teachings Of Padampa Sangye

Heaven't read this one, just found it randomly by browsing through amazon :P It seems to be an interesting one aswell. There are some more from the tibetan buddhist and yogic paths, obviously these guys also produced quite a good number of realizeds (= Two more only with links:

Buddha's Lions: The Lives of the Eighty-Four Siddhas

Legends of the Mahasiddhas: Lives of the Tantric Masters

Some of these books are not among the new ones :P But still have power to fuel the bhakti (=

Happy practice to all! (=
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000