Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 The notion of faith...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  2:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hari Om
~~~~~~~~

Hello Anejat ( from ejri ‘ to shake’ + {n}a or ‘not’ = the steady or unshakable)

I use this word as I believe it accompanies this discussion if you wish to give your thoughts and POV’s on this matter of faith. We discussed this some months back. Many had an opinion this. I thought to re-address and see after some months if anyone pondered it a bit more? From my side, I thought to share some of my ideas, and some that come from the Upanishads that may be of interest , if so read on.

I was taught (instructed) that faith was not a requirement to move forward to Moksha. This moksha word some say is Liberation. Moksha is from moks ‘to liberate’ Another view (which I subscribe to) is moha ‘to delude’ + kshaya ‘reduction’ or ‘astringent’ = moksha is the extinction of delusion.

That said, for me, I reject this notion that faith is optional. What faith (shradda) then am I subscribing to?
a. That the existence of HIM (the Universal Self or Vaishvana) permeates everything and is every thing and I have the opportunity to experience/live that.
b. That I need to go no further then my SELF to realize this. That is, ones owns sadhana, some call spiritual practice is the tool. Sadhana at its root, dhana or ‘treasure’ is no further then me, Atman – I am THAT, is not a philosophical construct, but is in fact reality.
c. Even though I make the choice to realize the SELF, it is the SELF that reveals it-SELF to it-SELF ( this can be called HIS grace); It is my resolve, delight, or responsibility to set up the conditions for this to occur.

The Upanishads simply says sa kratum kurvita or, ‘he should make the resolve’. This is said after the rishi states “all is Brahman” – pointing to the notion of one making the ‘resolve’ to enjoy this state. Yet the word ‘kratu’ in English i.e. resolve , is less then adequate to describe what the rishi is trying to instruct/communicate. So we look to one saint Adi Shankara and he explains it as ‘ a firm will with a fixed idea and sense of certainty that this is so, not otherwise’ . This is summed up in one sanskrit word called Adhyavasaya or conviction or affirmation.

To that end, I see Faith = Adhyavasaya, that is pointed to Moksha.

Just wondered what your thoughts are on this, if you think about it, have a POV , etc.

regards,

LittleDragon

29 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  01:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleDragon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just thought I'd post a few words on faith by Sri Aurobindo.

"The faith demanded of us both in its general principle and its constant particular application amounts to a large and ever increasing and a constantly purer, fuller and stronger assent of the whole being and all its parts to the presence and guidance of God and the shakti. The faith in the shakti, as long as we are not aware of and filled with her presence, must necessarily be preceded or at least accompanied by a firm and virile faith in our own spiritual will and energy and our power to move successfully towards unity and freedom and perfection."

That pretty much sums up why we are here doesn't it? Because we have at least some faith in our own "spiritual will and energy and our power to move successfully towards unity and freedom and perfection".
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  06:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Definition of faith (for me):

a) faith in the future, faith (confidence) that something will come about.
This kind of faith is challenging. Consider the christian saying:
"If you have faith you can move mountains".
It means that faith creates reality.

b) faith in the sense of "believe". I believe in certain things,
I believe that matter and energy exist in this universe,
I believe that I exist and continue to exist.
I have to watch out that my faith (believe) is not rigid,
blind faith, believe in dogmas (no I certainly do not believe
in dogmas) would be limiting.
So, the kind of religious faith (dogmas) is something we
should be aware of. And we should be ready to challenge our
own current faith, that is: challenge the way we look at life
and at ourselves.

The question "Is faith optional ?" for me then, first we need
to clarify, what we mean by faith.
For me, dogmatic faith is optional, although some people
may need it, or it may help them for some time.
However, thinking about it now, I have to face the question
"How dogmatic is my own faith?" and there are probably
a lot of faith and believe concepts in my consciousness
which could be considered dogmatic (either by others or
by myself).

A very philosophical topic ...

regards
Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  12:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgang

A very philosophical topic ...

...and practical too.

If we have an object or ideal that resonates in us, we can find faith in that. The resonance is key. That will attract us, and heeding that call is the cultivation of devotion/bhakti, which is the engine of all spiritual practice. It is the divine calling us from within.

So listen to what resonates inside, and go for that with increasing persistence. The heart calls us home.

And remember to self-pace...

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  10:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~~
quote:
Originally posted by LittleDragon

Just thought I'd post a few words on faith by Sri Aurobindo.

must necessarily be preceded or at least accompanied by a firm and virile faith in our own spiritual will and energy and our power to move successfully towards unity and freedom and perfection."
That pretty much sums up

beautiful...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000