Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Is Iam from Sanskrit?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  11:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Is there a Sanskrit symbol for Iam? I'm just wondering if there's any sort of visual counterpart or symbol or something that I could see. I notice that the symbol of AYP is the Om symbol, so maybe there's nothing more specific. I know Om steps in when one starts to do the mantra extensions, so it works too. If Iam is from traditional Sanskrit, then I'd imagine there would be character(s) for it. Thanks!

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  9:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Is Iam from Sanskrit?"

I don't know, are you?

Ha Ha....sorry
Go to Top of Page

aditya

82 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  10:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit aditya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Check this:

http://www.sanskrit-sanscrito.com.a...antras1.html

This is closest to Iam - it is almost like it. You will find that this sound is used in various Sanskrit Mantras.

Edited by - aditya on Aug 25 2006 11:02:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  01:19:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yoda

Is there a Sanskrit symbol for Iam? I'm just wondering if there's any sort of visual counterpart or symbol or something that I could see. I notice that the symbol of AYP is the Om symbol, so maybe there's nothing more specific. I know Om steps in when one starts to do the mantra extensions, so it works too. If Iam is from traditional Sanskrit, then I'd imagine there would be character(s) for it. Thanks!

http://www.aczoom.com/itrans/online/

To just see the phonetic transliteration, you can enter "I am" - and see it rendered in Devanagari (Sanskrit alphabet).

The closest actual Sanskrit word is probably ayaM (shown that way because it is made up of three Sanskrit letters - a, y and aM - not four - a,y,a and m).

If you enter

ayaM

exactly like that, the graphic you see will be accurate Sanskrit for the word "this" -- which is pronounced - "Uh-yum".

There is no *exact* equivalent to "I am". That would presumably involve the Sanskrit letters Ai and aM (pronounced "i um") or Ai, A and m (pronounced "i omm" - the "long a" in Sanskrit is pronounced like the "a" in "Father").

Neither of those sound combinations means anything in Sanskrit, as far as I know - but again - ayaM - "uh-yum" does mean "this" -- and "ayam" has been mentioned by Yogani as a Sanskrit word that is close to "I am".

And important / interesting mantric note: as you may know, accurate pronounciation is considered *very* important in Sanskrit (by the Rishis who gave us the scriptures of the Sanatana Dharma, aka Hinduism -- of which books such as Patanjali's Yoga Sutras are an unofficial / informal subset), because of the power (effects created on physical and various non-physical planes) of the vibrations which emanate from the sensed / felt / thought / spoken / written letter(s), syllable(s) or word(s).

Therefore, unlike English, where the letters, syllables and words vary in pronounciation greatly, due to national and regional accents - Sanskrit has only one, clearly defined sound / pronounciation for each letter / syllable / word.

So, there's no possible ambiguity, as far as whether or not a given mantra is being pronounced correctly - it just needs to be checked against a Sanskrit pronounciation guide -- and the entire Sanskrit alphabet (and many well known Sanskrit mantras, phrases, scriptures, songs, etc. etc. etc. are available on the Web as _audio_ files - so it's easy to get a feel for how Sanskrit does, and should, sound).

And, I'll conclude with this (for now ... ) - but I find it very interesting to note that Sanskrit starts with the simplest and most natural sound a human mouth can make (let your mouth open, completely relax, and get just enough air going to make a sound ... what sound comes out?)

Uh .... *that* is the first letter / vowel of Samskrtam.

Or rather:

"Uh" .... that is the first letter / vowel of Samskrtam.

(Usually written as "a", it is pronounced "uh" - like the "u" in but, cut, butt, etc.)

The Sanskrit alphabet then unfolds into guttural, palatal, cerebral, dental and labial positions,

(see http://www.yogaplace.com.au/Yoga/Sa...sitions.html)

The Sanskrit language was consciously and methodically created, based around a complete awareness of the ramifications of each formed sound, according to the neurophysiological, energetic and chakric effects that each tongue position and sound creates.

Every syllable uttered in Sanskrit has been consciously pre-designed, on purpose, to create the optimum beneficial effects on our neurophysiological / subtle / spiritual evolution.

EVERY thought, uttered syllable and/or written word in Sanskrit, is in effect a yoga practice. Some might even go so far as to say an _advanced_ yoga practice.

Is it just me, or is that kinda-sorta completely mind-blowing??

Jai Jai Samskrtam!!

Hope this helps!

Namaste,

Kirtanman

PS - Yes, you can save the resulting graphics - as HTML, GIF, PDF, etc. - and have hours (or at least minutes), seeing how words such as Yogani, Shiva, Daffy Duck, and even [Insert Your Name Here] appear, rendered "in Sanskrit" (Devanagari - aka "The City of the Gods").
Go to Top of Page

bipinjoshi

India
30 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  01:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit bipinjoshi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Well. I don't know about the origin of Iam but we often use So-Ham or Ham-Sa breathniques to trverse frontal and sushumna passages. So-ham meaning "I and the God are the same". Its a wonderful meditation and Laya technique. During so-ham breathing people often visualize Om entering and exiting along with the breath. Om is representation of God and need not always have any connection with other mantras.

Go to Top of Page

bipinjoshi

India
30 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  04:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit bipinjoshi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to add. The equivament of "I am" in Sanskrit is "Aham". When you want to say I am Bramhan you say "Aham Bramhasmi". Similarly Soham comes from combination of So + Aham.

Edited by - bipinjoshi on Aug 26 2006 04:34:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

aditya

82 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  10:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit aditya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nicely put by master himself:

http://www.aypsite.com/188.html

Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  1:09:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

From my view the useful aspects of Iam and related mantras are the siva/shakti components. Does anyone know if so-ham has these siva/shakti components? It feels different to me; maybe more siva and less shakti? Anyone know? Peace
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  1:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks all, very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

bipinjoshi

India
30 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  11:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit bipinjoshi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by alan

Hello

From my view the useful aspects of Iam and related mantras are the siva/shakti components. Does anyone know if so-ham has these siva/shakti components? It feels different to me; maybe more siva and less shakti? Anyone know? Peace

I don't know about Iam so can not comment or compare about it.

Soham is the supreme mantra praised by all the ancient spiritual and Yogic texts. The mantra is based on our breathing pattern. When you inhale a subtle vibration is produced that resembles "Sooooo". When we exhale a subtle vibration is produced that resembles "Haammm". That means we repeate this mantra contineously. It is the only mantra that can be chanted uninteruptedly. Since it is not chanted delibarelely or by mouth it is also called as "Ajapa". There is an Upanishad dedicated to this mantra.

This mantra by its meaning doesn't talk about Kundalini or Shiva-Shakti. But if used along with Kundalini Pranayama gives wonderful results. When you inhale and focus on "So" kundalini rises up through the sushumna to ajna and when you exhale with "ham" it returns back to muladhara. In that sense it certainly has Shiva-Shakti
meaning. This is one of the wonderful practice for Laya Yoga. When Laya is achieved Kundalini raises sponteneously. One important thing to remember about such mantras is that just words without mind behind them bear very little power but you couple them with the power of mind and they become "Kalpataru".

Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  8:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~
quote:

Is there a Sanskrit symbol for Iam? I'm just wondering if there's any sort of visual counterpart

Sanskritam ( sometimes seen as samscrit) is devanagari script, meaning divine city. Sanskrit is from:
'sam' or complete, to make perfect + 'kr' to do. together its to make complete, perfect or polished.
Now, for Iam - there are multiple threads/posts on the AYP site under mantra considerations.
Iam, from Aim , Eim, Aeim, etc. This is a bija mantra. There are 5 key bija mantras if you follow Vishnu; all are part of Mantra Shastra or the study of sound and meter. This bija is 'seed' some say 'drop' as a drop of water. Hense there are sanscrit symbols ( devangari) script for these sounds.

One word that may be of use to you is Aham or I.
A profound use of this word is part of a Mahavakkya ( or great saying) Aham Brahamasi - I am Brahman.

hope this is of some use.

Veda Aham etam Purusham... Svetasvatara Upanishad
the rshi Svtavatara says " I know this Being {Purusha}.

Go to Top of Page

blackmuladar

USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  3:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit blackmuladar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by alan

Hello

to my understanding the so'ham mantra is the first and last letters of the sanskrit alphabet. they have a BIPOLAR affect in the ajna center TWO petal lotus. siva/shati components not likely if there both in the head because siva-is-in-head & shakti-is-in-pelvic region.

warning: this is what i've read not experienced
Go to Top of Page

Lavazza

69 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  10:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lavazza's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought "I am" was from the heart chakra sound "yam".
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  7:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
On the Sri Rudram, which is a Vedic chant from Yajur veda on praise of Rudra (Shiva), the following verses appear at the end of the portion called as Namakam which praises the lord Rudra.

Ayam me hasto bhagavanayam me Bhagavattarah |
Ayam me Vishvabhesajo yagam shivabhimarshanah ||

This is the translation I found on a website for these verses.

Ayam me = This mine; Hasto = Hand; Bhagavan = Being lucky; Ayam me; Bhagavattarah = Very lucky than other hands; Shivabhimarshanah = Due to the touch with the linga of Rudra; Ayam me Vishvabhesajam = This hand is the cure for all ailments.
http://www.mypurohith.com/Rituals/Namakam11.asp

Here the word "me" which follows Ayam is pronounced as "may".

So, I think that the word "Ayam" does appear on Vedic Sanskrit. And "Ayam may" is translated as "This me" on this context of the yajur vedic text.

The pronunciation of the "Ayam" appearing in Rudram is slightly different from how we pronounce the day to day English word "I am". "I am" is pronounced "ayaaam", where as the word appearing here in Sri Rudram is pronounced "ayam", the "yam" sounds like "yum" on "yummy". So, I am not sure if these two are the same exact sounds. But they seem very similar to me.

This makes me wonder now whether the AYP mantra "I am" sounds like ayaaaam or ayam. I need to check Yogani's radio interview again to confirm for me.

Any thoughts?

Edited by - rkishan on Nov 10 2007 11:34:49 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000