Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Prana ~ air?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  12:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

Prana, some say is air. Some say it is life force. In the Brahma Sutras Prana is also known as Brahman, the all, Bhuma (or fullness).

Prana at its root is ‘ana’ which means food, the food that creation depends upon to exist. This Prana has 5 forms ( some call Panchagni): Prana, Apana, Vyana, Udana and Samana. Each prana has a role and function to uphold the individual and ‘guides’ owns, etc specific areas.
Prana- Sun/eyes/sight
Vyana- dig bala/ears/hearing -dig bala is the 10 directions and their strength
Apana- fire/speech-fire is also considered Agni or Divine Inspiration
Samana- Heavens/rain/lightening/mind
Udana- akasha/air/touch - akasa is space outside us and inside us (chit-akash)

Keeping the prana’s in balance brings health and spiritual advancement (from Agni’s inspiration and others that assist us).

So many times, we ask ‘what else can I do to be in the spirit, to do more outside of my meditation times’ - this vidya, albeit simple is one consideration.

Many a person with this knowledge recognize and acknowledge these creative impulses on a daily bases. This usually is done when one takes in ‘food’. We all know food means many things i.e. food taken in from our eyes, ears, etc.

For this conversation lets call food the nutrients that we ingest. It is considered auspicious to offer this food (ana) to the 5 prana’s that are within the individual. Its done with pure food taken and for each prana… its recommended in the Upanishads with the following:

Om Pranaya svaha or the Fulleness Om (Bhuma) of Prana may you
you be satisfied i.e svaha is said Swa-ha
One then feels/directs ones consciousness
to the area of Prana ownership of seeing.

like that the following are done in the same way;
Om Vyanaya svaha
Om Apanaya svaha
Om Samaya svaha
Om Udanaya svaha

As we eat, we offer this to each creative impulse within us. For me , I allow my consciousness to go to each area ( eyes- seeing, ears-hearing, speech, etc);this is the simple offering.

Overall sattva is improved that influences vak (communications), manas ( mind and consciousness), life force, and ones brillance or tejas.

More as usual, if there is interest.

Edited by - Frank-in-SanDiego on Aug 24 2006 12:54:28 PM
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000