Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Purification and all that....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  9:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hari Om,
Namaste and hello sadaka ( one who practices sadhana)

I have been thinking about this post for a while and thought this would be a good time to add this opinion and perspective for your consideration. That is, the notion of purification. This has been discussed for some time on AYP. What is this purification? The benefits and why even consider it?

My orientation is that of the Upanishads ( i.e. come and sit and listen) that outlines some of the vidya’s and knowledge for those aspirants that thrive for moksa. The casual observer may have limited appreciation of this knowledge yet is submitted for your consideration.

This notion of purification ( shuddhi) has been discussed on AYP as stress reduction, removing the mud from the windshield, etc. All good analogies, yet what does the Upanishads have to offer on this matter?

The ultimate purification is the removal of the ‘knots’ from the heart. Now the Upanishads talk in ideas to assist the aspirant to be mindful of the area of discussion. This knot in the heart is called hrdayaganthi. What are they? The passion/desire and attachments that are binding the Infinite to the finite. That is that, that covers the Atman to the ego (Individual me). Some call the ‘coverings’ as kosha’s. Does that mean we stop these? Nope, as one does not hinder the dharma ( lit. that which upolds) one is accustomed to… yet as one unfolds, needs change and ones orientation changes.

This notion of purification is sattva shuddhi – what is this all about?
Sattva is the essential part of our being made of a few suble elements ( or dhatu’s). They are made up of Vak ( or speech, voice, or power of expression), Prana ( life force, consciousness) and Manas ( mind). These can be considered ‘elements’ yet are much more profound then that. ( more later as Q&A teases out this level of knowledge).

So, ones purification is at the dhatu-prasadha or the elements of purity – that is, the temperament of you, the physical and mental elements of you. How is this possible?

a. When we look to vak – the element that at its root is tejas – or brilliance/fire and agni. In Ayurved this is the Pitta constitution .
b. When we look to prana ( its root is apa or food) its root is ap or waters/fluids – in Ayurved this is kappha .
c. And Manas – mind, is rooted in matter, earth, and Ayurved is considered Vatta.

So, where does this lead to? The Chandogya Upanishad points to the ‘food’ one takes in.
‘Food’ is not only chips & dip, but also all that is taken in from the senses. It is the senses that need to be purified. Why so? When we continually think I AM the experiencer of my actions, I am the doer, this is the ignorance that requires purification.

The key insight is given from this Upanishad – “ IN all the worlds, in all beings, in all the selves, it is HE ( that is vaishvanara, the Universal Self) who eats the food”. It is He (SELF) that is the enjoyer of the actions we pursue. This is very profound knowledge and takes some ‘soaking’ and getting use to. This is the role of the Upanishads. That is, to inform and groom the sadakha for insights of this magnitude. That this, vaishvanara atma is the SELF of all beings. That is why we first realize SELF in our selves, then begin to see this in all beings and the environment. This is the pursuit of the silence within…. The initial stage of the development of this realization – tajalan – ‘ta’ or THAT which all is born + ‘ja’ or all that is absorbed + ‘lan’ in which all breathes.

More as we progress with the idea.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  9:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Frank.. welcome back... I missed you and your posts..
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  06:23:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes welcome back frank I think we all enjoy reading your posts

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  11:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Purification-

To me, removing the delusional thoughts and habits of the mind which cause emotional debris to allow the free flow of energy (life) through the body (and it's energy centers) allowing for the unhindered perspective of truth.

or better yet, removing mud from the windshield.

A
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  11:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Frank,

Welcome back.

Purification in my view-

becoming more stable, less affected by emotions/moods
becoming more selfless
more spiritually speaking, expansion of consciousness/awareness beyond this body

-Near
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  6:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

Hello A, and Near,

Good points on the purification part.
quote:
Originally posted by nearoanoke

Purification in my view- becoming more stable, less affected by emotions/moods
becoming more selfless ...
-Near

I like your words used... 'becoming'. As becoming at its root is Being, and with Being we need to do nothing. We are Being.
So the unfoldment and experience of Being is in us all.

The 'purification' part is getting to that simplicity that is in us today - the univeral SELF ( vaisvanara). Its said, Vaishvanara Atman said "let me be born as the many" . The Universal Self became the all of every thing/one seen and unseen. So we are part and parcel and extention of this Bhuma ( fulless). So,our Being is established in this SELF.

There is only one SELF. This is the insight of why people call it enlightenment - the realizaion that the many ( diversity) is really one ( Uni) or Universal. The light goes on. The unfoldment starts with the individual and expands to the many as it all comes into view there is nothing other then one.

To this we aspire even if we do not know it!!!. There are vidya's or insights in the Upanishads that assist us with this understanding - prepares the road no less for this ahh-ha! of who we really are. As with some I have talked with,been instructed, it is a profound experince to have and some 'soaking in time' is needed.

Maybe a few vidya's on this in the future are warranted. They , in my humble experience, are some of the most profound readings I have had the opportunity to read by His grace.

If you care to pursue some of these and read a book on this, you may want to consider Lights on the Upanishads by T.V. Kapali Shastry.
A excellent writer w/ profound insights.

Edited by - Frank-in-SanDiego on Aug 25 2006 2:18:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  7:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Purification sounds like balance to me.

Cool thing is, we are all right.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000