Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 beginning mantra practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  02:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
After a lot of years using the breath and sound and light meditations
I decided to give ayp mantra practice a proper go.

I started last night and the practice went well with a bit of nodding off .

This morning after a good nights sleep i sat down and obviously i was quite alert because of the sleep and I found myself interlectualizing the mantra practice a lot so I have a couple of questions that i would appreciate some help with please.

In the Indian tradition the Bija mantra YAM is said to vibrate the heart chakra so as Yogani says to pronunce the mantra(silently) IYAM am i correct in thinking the Yam part is vibrating the heart in particular?and probably the I is vibrating the midbrow chakra?

As I listen for the mantra because I read that it is the sound vibration that is important I tended to elongate the end as in Yammmmmmmmmmmmmm,then i thought I shouldnt manipulate the mantra so i found myself doing the opposite and making sure I idnt deliberately elongate it which again was a manipulation so how do you guys sound the mantra in particular or do you just try(not try) lol to do anything?

Being relatively new to mantra I never had these questions with the other forms I practiced so I find this a problem obviously because my mind wants to do it as perfect as possible and again this is grasping I know so any help i would be gratefull for,

thanks

snake

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  09:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi snake,

Glad to hear that you have started with mantra meditation. I'm sure you will find it to work great for you. It's a common tendency for the mind to try to do things as perfect as possible and thereby complicating the process, which is not what we want in deep meditation. Anything we "try" to do in addition to just silently intoning the mantra within will just impede the process. Regarding location, the mantra can appear to be located anywhere, so we don't try to localize it. And parts of the mantra shouldn't be deliberately elongated or not. I know that the mind has the tendency to want to do all kinds of stuff. The best thing is just to put the attention on the sound of the mantra itself and then do nothing more. When thoughts or impressions or tendencies to analyze come up, just go back to the sound of the mantra itself. The key is to go back to the mantra as soon as we realize that we are not with the mantra. The mantra will modify itself and be faster or slower, louder or very silent, appear located in different places, we just let it do this by itself. Looking forward to hear more as you continue!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  10:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Snake,
"I decided to give ayp mantra practice a proper go."
Thanks..

"I found myself interlectualizing the mantra practice a lot so I have a couple of questions that i would appreciate some help with please"
First I am going to borrow a quote from Jim and say... "just do yoga to do yoga....like you brush your teeth" don't intellectualize it too much.. let the mantra do it's thing.. try not to analyze it.."like letting a barber cut your hair. Even less "doing". Let the cosmic barber do his/her trim."

OK, now having said this...

There is a lesson Mantra Design 101 , where Yogani explains a lot about the mantras

It is not recommended to those starting off meditation.. it could be very distracting.. that is why Yogani says..
"Well, that is quite a lot of information. I sincerely hope that it
does not distract anyone from the simple procedure of favoring the
mantra and letting it happen naturally in meditation. None of what
has been written here is necessary to do correct meditation, and it
could indeed be distracting. So file all this under "food for bhakti"
and continue to enjoy your journey homeward to enlightenment using
the easy practice of deep meditation. "

So read the lesson to see if it gives you your answers.. but then don't hold on to it.. just let it go.. There is a lot of stuff on mantra enhancements in it too.. don't worry about them now..

There have been some discussion on this .. maybe you will find more of your answers here.....

Edited by - Shanti on Aug 20 2006 10:17:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  10:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou Weaver and Shanti,I will give both your posts close reading.

Shanti ,funny about the barber because that's my job lol
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  10:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by snake

Shanti ,funny about the barber because that's my job lol

LOL
Going forward I will quote it as "like letting Snake cut your hair."
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  8:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've done mantras in auto yoga but recently I've tried to take what I've learned on AYP and apply it.

After time goes by you develop more of a relationship with your throat, especially the cords. What are those cords, that seem to run down into the chest, which augment the sound of my voice? I feel like I am talking into a fan at times, though the warm vibration feels rather pleasant. My cats think I'm going crazy though.

Edited by - Kyman on Aug 25 2006 8:48:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000