Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 New comer to AYP looking for feedback
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tua32581

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  10:51:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi fellow yogis,
This is my first post to the AYP site. A little bit about me; I'm 28, male, living in Philadelphia. I'm formally trained in the Iyengar method and have kept up a fairly dedicated practice of asana for the last 5 years. As my interest has grown I have began exploring other methods. The last few months i have been reading through yogani's lessons as well as listening to all the interviews. I've had some prior experience with pranayama and have kept up a dedicated practice for the last 4 months. everyday twice aday for about 10-20 minutes. Three weeks ago i added a DM practice. Prior to this i had not meditation practice to speak of. The last few weeks have been like scratching the surface of another world. I've had some fascinating expereinces with my practices and would like to get your feedback.

Here is what I've been observing:
1- During my DM practice last night I heard noises buzzing around my head. Tuning in deeper it turned out to be voices, different peoples voices, like as if i was flipping through TV channels and just hearing mindless chatter. I would say I heard them rather faintly and i didnt hear them in the pyschotic sense of "I heard voices and they told me to do something", thank god, lol. i didn't find this alarming and after a few minutes my mind settled down and the chatter disappeared. just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this and if so, what is this?
am i a tuning fork and picking up other peoples conversations? was my mind bored and just creating some fluctuations to entertain me? Did i drink too much caffeine this morning? ;)
2- The second sensation happened during SBP. My attention would be drawn to a certain area of my body. in this case it was a spot about the size of a pin on my left nostril where my nose meets my upper lip. The sensation/energy was so focused there that it
felt like someone was sticking a pin (gently, not terribly unpleasantly) into my skin here. The overall effect was that it encouraged deeper/attention/introspection into my body. but part of me just wanted to itch my nose. it was interesting from the standpoint
that in typical day to day life i don't experience anything on this level of intensity. has anyone else experienced acute sensations like this in the body? is this purification? and if so what does that mean? :)
3-The third and final experience was in DM. I had the sensation that blue/white spot lights were encircling my body. kind of like what one might imagine an alien abduction to be like. it felt like the lights were 'cleaning my body'. Whats so fascinating about this is the palpablility of the experience. i just don't have a way to distinguish if some external thing is acting on me or if i just have an active imagination. I actually cut my practice short because of the intensity. Does this resonate with anyone or am i off the deep end? lol

4- the final thing is just a comment. i know that my practice was 'right' when my body feels weightless afterwards. like i'm just energy and my mind is just possibilities.

Thanks!

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  1:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My take is you are undergoing purification at an efficient pace, that all this scenery falls in line with what others experience. I have felt the pinpricks, the attention directed to the nostrils, the colors and lights. All good things to rest your attention on, enjoy, and release. You have a solid asana foundation that obviously has benefitted you, and if you are conserving your young sexual energy, drawing it upward, your "bliss machine" will not be far behind!

Our paths vary greatly but lead in the same direction. Notice al sensation and surrender into that mindful moment, and let it go rather than chase after it. Avoid investing too much in all the fireworks. Keep up your consistent practice, dial back when overwhelmed. Welcome to the forum, tua! Sounds like a fun journey thus far !
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  3:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds great tua!

Hope you continue to meditate!

All these experience fall under the scenery header, and I can tell you from experience, its best not to dwell on them. Experience them, and move on.

Good luck on your journey.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  4:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tua and welcome! I also have had that pin point described in #2 on and off during meditation, but didn't know others also experienced it. I treat it as some sort of auto-acupuncture, and though meditation itself clears up my sinuses and keeps them clear like nothing else, it's not too far fetched of a theory to put forth. Your other symptoms sound interesting, but during practice it might be prudent to stand as a witness to them, or ignore them as a way to minimize distractions. The lines do blur between what's internal and external sometimes, and for that I like to think as long as the internal is being taken care of and the sense of agency isn't outsourced, then anything external will align itself, or be irrelevant.

Keep us posted if you'd like.
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2014 :  04:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've experienced number 2, really weird
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2014 :  06:18:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!

I also had weird experiences in the first weeks of AYP - that scared me. Now (6 months of AYP) those weird things don't happen anymore, and sitting practices have become smooth and pleasant. Daily life is clearly improving.

Like you, I had the same established asana practice before AYP, and some members of this community were not surpised to read me reporting about weird stuff happening because asana also has an impact on the path of purification.
Go to Top of Page

tua32581

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2014 :  10:12:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for you welcoming words. This is a really nice community. I look forward to sharing my experiences as I continue.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  4:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tua32581
[ a spot about the size of a pin on my left nostril where my nose meets my upper lip.

It appears that point is one end of the Sushumna. Quoting from "Meditation and its practice" by Swami Rama: "the bridge between the nostrils, just above the upper lip [...]This is called sandhya [...] the union between ida and pingala"

So you have experienced a part of your spiritual anatomy.
Go to Top of Page

tua32581

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  9:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is really interesting -- thanks for pointing that out!

quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

quote:
Originally posted by tua32581
[ a spot about the size of a pin on my left nostril where my nose meets my upper lip.

It appears that point is one end of the Sushumna. Quoting from "Meditation and its practice" by Swami Rama: "the bridge between the nostrils, just above the upper lip [...]This is called sandhya [...] the union between ida and pingala"

So you have experienced a part of your spiritual anatomy.

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2014 :  07:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is exciting discovering for yourself energy points that are also documented in yoga tradition, isn't it?
But I hope it will not distract you from focusing on AYP's approach of developing sushumna awareness from the root to the third eye. Other methods are a lot more detailed about chakras and nadis, and that is often at the expense of clarity about practices. It is Yogani's gift and great achievement to have elicited the essence and streamlined the practices into this wonderfully clear method. For me at least, he turned yoga from a maze into a beautifully signposted, easy to understand path. I hope you will enjoy this practice too. All the best

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jul 03 2014 07:54:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2014 :  9:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tua,

Welcome to the forum!
I've experienced #1and 2. Nothing circling my body, but lights entering my body. Nothing to be concerned about. Just keep practicing. Best of luck to you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000