Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Autobiography of a Yogi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2014 :  10:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In his book AOAY, one of the first great works of Eastern culture to come to the West, the Yogi says, in effect, let anyone who doubts that enlightenment is possible meditate for three hours a day. He doesn't say for how many days and I've never heard of anyone following that advice yet? Maybe it's possible, maybe it's not? I'm pretty sure I could never do it that long. I'm sure others could though, just never heard anything one way or the other.
Thanks,
Larry

Edited by - AYPforum on Jun 19 2014 09:39:18 AM

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2014 :  4:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi lmaher,

have you read Garland of letters? You can read the long routines of many students of Lahiri Mahasaya in that document in Yoga Niketan. The key to what you say is to be progressive.

Another impressive book is Swami Rama's Living with the himalayan masters. They meditated for many hours a day.

The book "The Attention Revolution" also prescribes long meditations (Buddhist perpective).

But in AYP Deep Meditation, long meditations are not encouraged. It depends on the method.
Go to Top of Page

Sol Invictus

91 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2014 :  10:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Imaher!

Couldn't comment on AYP,but from my modest experience,which goes back only two months i can tell you that 3 hours per day might sound alot but actually time goes by quickly when practicing.It takes me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to go thru routine,doing it morning and evening which in total is about 2.5 hours.In years to come,i can easily imagine spending 5-6 hours daily doing Sadhana,as time seems to go by quite fast while practicing.
And as Willpower said,it goes gradually,one progresses to that or any other amount of time.
In diaries of Yogiraj Lahiri Baba we can read that on one occasion He was practicing Pranayama for 24 hours in one asana.Some other time He penned down that he spend 9 days and nights sitting in one asana and doing Pranayama.
Also as Willpower said,it can be read how His disciples were instructed to do huge amounts of Kriyas.
Cheers,best!:)

Edited by - Sol Invictus on Jun 18 2014 10:22:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  09:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  1:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all very much. Sounds like lot's of peace after hard work here! Is anyone enlightened though? Just a question. Don't mean it sarcastically.
Thanks for your help.
Larry
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  2:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Imaher22 it looks like 43 at last count where it's been recently talked about here:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=14425
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000