New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dofa66

France
46 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2014 :  01:15:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani for these complements. I appreciate the 'less analysis the better' advice, but I must admit I find it difficult not to analyze... my scientifical brain is triggered by my bhakti !
Go to Top of Page

digofarias

Brazil
63 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2014 :  12:46:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Man,

I would say chances are that this is only happening due to the DM you've been doing so far. Before starting my daily DM I used to do a set of exercises called Kriya Yoga and I spent a year doing it without much results. 1 Month before I dropped it I start doing 10 minutes of DM in parallel and funnily enough I started getting results from my Kriya practice very quickly. I then figured it was all because of DM. After 3 months of doing only DM I tried to focus on Nothingness and entered into a sort of Samadhi-like state. A few year ago I used to do this meditation daily for a couple of months and nothing happened.

Peace!

quote:
Originally posted by dofa66

Hi,

I have been doing DM 20 mn twice a day since 7 months. I have added 5 mn of SB few weeks ago. Although I admit that my mind is more quiet during the day and that I am way less emotive than I used to be, I am still far from experiencing the rise of the witness. Also, I do not experience the process of losing the mantra as described by Yogani : sometimes I am not focused on the mantra but I am still repeating it while focusing on other thoughts.
Maybe one could say that 7 months is not long enough... However, I decided some weeks ago to give a try to an alternative meditation method, which is paying attention to the body (a.k.a. body scan or body sweeping). I learnt this from a Barry Long's book (Meditation - A foundation course), and from Eckhart Tolle. You may understand it from these two videos :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u45pRlO16Mg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foU1qgOdtwg

I tried this method twice a day during two weeks. During the meditation sessions, my mind became quiet deeper and faster than with AYP DM. Having thought about it, I believe that repeating a mantra forces the mind to be active, while paying attention to something (body or breath) puts the mind really at rest with no thoughts.
I came back to AYP DM after these two weeks to see the difference, and I discovered that during the DM sessions, I was feeling the witness state : I was aware of my mind repeating the mantra, while previously I was repeating the mantra. I had the feeling that I was somewhere behind my mind, watching it repeating the mantra. Unfortunately after few days of DM, this feeling disappeared. So I am wandering whether this method from Barry and Eckhart is not more effective than the AYP one, at least with me. Any relevant comment on that would be appreciated !

Go to Top of Page

dofa66

France
46 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2014 :  1:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi digofarias,

First congratulation for the win against Chile
I understand your point, however my experience was rather the other way around: I did not experienced the witness state once during my 7 month of DM, then I made 2 weeks with the other technique, and when coming back to DM I experienced the witness state during the first DM sessions, then it disappeared after few days of DM. So I tend to think that the other technique played the role DM played in your experience.

Anyway I can't keep on with DM as I am definitely over-sensitive. So I have to chose between the breath meditation technique as suggested by Yogani, or the other one I described. For the moment I am pursuing with the latter.

Peace to you too!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000