Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Origin of thought ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lufa1212

India
45 Posts

Posted - May 11 2014 :  04:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

Thoughts are energy but is there an origin of thought.

Some say any occurrence that precedes the thought is its origin.

In a relaxed state of mind sometimes a thought comes out of the blue bringing along the paraphernalia of more thoughts and the cycle of thoughts begins.

I shall be grateful for your views.

Thank you
love

Ayiram

88 Posts

Posted - May 11 2014 :  06:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ayiram's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi lufa,

in my experience, the origin of thought is energy. What kind of thoughts you´ll be having or whether you´ll be having them at all,depends on your energetical state, on the flow of your energy. The energy is always flowing, but if it is hitting a block in your energetical body, then you´ll be experiencing "unpleasent" thoughts, if the flow of energy is free, then the thoughts are "pleasent" or there are no thoughts at all.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 11 2014 :  10:53:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lufa,

My perspective is that there is actually no origin of thought. When I look for the origin of (a) thought I see an infinite stream of unending, sourceless thoughts... all potential variations of all potential thoughts have always existed in this ceaseless "thought stream." What I notice is that, depending on our personal conditioning and the immediate circumstances, we "magnetize" specific thoughts towards our perception which we become aware of to varying degrees. There is actually no one thinking these thoughts, they are just there waiting to be noticed.

When this realization happened for me (meaning when this understanding that no thoughts are "mine" settled in the heart) there was an immediate lifting of identification with a large portion of who I had believed I was. The result of this was a lot of laughter and lightness infusing my day. Things got much less serious and I noticed an increase in the amount of happiness that was experienced on a daily basis.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

lufa1212

India
45 Posts

Posted - May 11 2014 :  1:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Dear Ayiram and Carson, for your insightful replies.

As per my original mail, i understand thoughts to be energy.

And I am in complete agreement with you Ayiram that we attract the thoughts as per our energetical state which again to my understanding depends to a large part on the personal conditioning (as Carson says), immediate circumstances/life situations, our involvement/detachment and our reactions / responses.

I am wondering about the origin of thoughts, if any.

quoted by Carson Zi:
________________________________________________________________________________________
My perspective is that there is actually no origin of thought. When I look for the origin of (a) thought I see an infinite stream of unending, sourceless thoughts... all potential variations of all potential thoughts have always existed in this ceaseless "thought stream." What I notice is that, depending on our personal conditioning and the immediate circumstances, we "magnetize" specific thoughts towards our perception which we become aware of to varying degrees.
________________________________________________________________________________________

An infinite number of thoughts with all their potential variations, in all hues are present and are attracted as per our personalities. This has been my understanding too and just like you it had lifted a great deal off my shoulders when i realized that the thoughts are not 'mine', so to say.

quoted by Carson Zi:
______________________________________________________________________________________
There is actually no one thinking these thoughts, they are just there waiting to be noticed.
_______________________________________________________________________________________ Making it a little more basic would it be right to say that instead of thoughts being present through out and waiting to be noticed, it is actually a matrix of energy that is present through out. This energy comes together, becomes grosser and takes the form of thought(s) as per the situation and is attracted by the personality concerned, again depending on the conditioning and immediate circumstances, as you say.

This sure rules out any origin of the thought.

Love

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 11 2014 :  1:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lufa1212

Making it a little more basic would it be right to say that instead of thoughts being present through out and waiting to be noticed, it is actually a matrix of energy that is present through out. This energy comes together, becomes grosser and takes the form of thought(s) as per the situation and is attracted by the personality concerned, again depending on the conditioning and immediate circumstances, as you say.

Hi Lufa,

How one perceives Life and it's dynamics is personal (my opinion). Everyone has a different framework they perceive through (also perhaps just an opinion). Whether one sees thought as a product of energy interactions or as an infinite stream of sourceless possibility will depend on the personal conditioning (or the ability to see past one's conditioning).

Love,
Carson

Go to Top of Page

Zlarp

Switzerland
46 Posts

Posted - May 11 2014 :  3:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"origin" makes a lot of assumptions about how things work for which we do not have any evidence. Why do you have the idea that things have an "origin" to begin with?
Go to Top of Page

compassion

87 Posts

Posted - May 12 2014 :  04:07:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience in tracing the source of thought has been to find great love at their origin. When the thought is released before it fully manifests, love grows; when the old pathways are used, love is interrupted.

It is tempting to interpret the apparent manifestation of thought from love: is any thought a manifestation of pure love, or does a thought serve the ego to distract and hide the truth? The answer, I think, is both.
Go to Top of Page

lufa1212

India
45 Posts

Posted - May 13 2014 :  3:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Dear Carson, Zlarp and Compassion.

Carson, You are absolutely right. The perception of life, its dynamics, the outlook is all personal. I have been blessed (? :)) with a great imagination and so could not help imagine all kinds of thoughts swimming around, waiting to be noticed, hence the energy equation. Though I admit I feel more comfortable with the energy equation as of now.

Zlarp, Agreed.. any question related to any kind of 'Origin' does lead to all kinds of assumptions. All questions take birth when one is identified with the personality/ego. A quiet, relaxed mind is above the questions and resides in absolute calm state with no thoughts/questions whatsoever...no rising questions..and no answers expected/needed/looked for.

In the present case, a turbulent phase of life for last almost two years culminating into a terribly difficult situation to accept for a life time led one to this query about the origin of thought. Where do the tormenting thoughts come from ? Where do the loving thoughts come from ? Variety of thoughts giving rise to different responses depending on if the ego gets identified with them or watches silently till they pass away.

As I mentioned in the original mail, at times one has found oneself to be quietly busy with something when out of nowhere a thought enters and shakes up the life out of me. One is trying to pick up the shredded life and trying to get on with it in whatever way possible when suddenly the uninvited thought comes and stirs it all up.

My question on the origin of thought comes from there and the identified ego.

Compassion, shall come back to your response a little later. Thanks so much for your kind reply.

Love
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000