Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 What does it mean to be conscious of something?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

richilincez

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - May 07 2014 :  02:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I know the process of DM is very simple, but it it is subtle and experience raised some doubts.
Let me start with a similitude. When I think of normal thoughts, I can think them in four ways, so to say.
1.Totally absently, with the same automatic subconscious attention one puts on driving, while thinking about something else.
2.Unfocused and on the periphery, with the same attention one puts on somebody's name or number when one wants to keep it in mind lest it forget it, while being busy with else.
3.Normal stream of thoughts: one is "ON" the thoughts but isn't really conscious. The thoughts are the mind principal content at this time, but there is no control, and one is still lost
4.Directed stream of thoughts. One thinks, and knows (NO VERBALIZATION THOUGH) that he's willing to think, or at least the thoughts occupy consciousness in a full, clear, focused way.

In DM, when one is "WITH" the mantra and when one comes back to it, which is the right way to be with it? Clearly not options n.1 & 2. What about options 3 & 4?
I have been meditating for two years thinking like "3", and I always drifted off into umnpleasant dreamy states. It came to me, (after DM) if when meditates so one is not really conscious, and if one is more with his own laziness and passivity.
Instead, I tried n 4 for a couple of days, without manipulating the quality of the mantra, and I was clear, and clearly more "conscious" than when n.3, and the mantra was really KING of my consciousness (without being forced neither concentrated upon).

I think we mostly are unconscious most of the time, so that s why I asked for clarification.

What is your take on it and experience?

Thank you

Richilincez

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - May 07 2014 :  10:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not clear on your distinctions.

However, I see example #1 as closest to Meditation but again the distinctions youre making are just not that clear to me.

When the mind attains single pointed focus, as in mantra meditation, then we are able to experience inherent bliss consciousness, at first on the periphery and later, totally.

Sadhaks will go thru a variety of experiences, so there is no one way it is. It is every way. Really there's no question to ask just practice.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - May 07 2014 :  12:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
richilincez,

I think you are right. You concentrate on it, it is your focus. The second part is the letting go of your focus.

I think this will help:

Lesson 195 - Q&A – Mantra, thoughts, and attention
Go to Top of Page

richilincez

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - May 07 2014 :  1:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you

@ Tonightisthenight

My exaples might be not very clear, I think that exaple 1 would NOT be the right way though. It is like repeating the mantra while thinking of something else actively.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000