Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Isochronic tones and sounds for deeper meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hawkste

South Africa
3 Posts

Posted - May 02 2014 :  05:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello people
I have been reading about the different styles of meditation and have seen a common element of people using isochronic tones and noises to aid your mind in becoming more still.Some people use Tibetan bowls and other sounds.There was one post i found about using these sounds,but there was only one reply,so im still curious as to whether these sounds are beneficial.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....hronic,toneshttp://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....hronic,tones
Thanks

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 02 2014 :  08:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - May 02 2014 :  09:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd rather practice Kriya and listen to the Omkar sound (inner sounds) that result from the practice. If you like them you may listen to them but outside of the practice. That's my advice.
Go to Top of Page

Experientialknowing

USA
263 Posts

Posted - May 02 2014 :  2:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good reply, which brings me to this morning, right before waking up om was it felt being chanted perfectly in my vocal cords then a switch took place and it was not just there it was everywhere and everything was lit in Golden light and so loud everything was vibrating my bed etc... it woke me up I was very, very concerned I was making this noise in my sleep and waking the whole house up.

So I rose and as I did I realized what was happening there had been no sound coming out of my mouth as the sound persisted.

quote:
Originally posted by Will Power

I'd rather practice Kriya and listen to the Omkar sound (inner sounds) that result from the practice. If you like them you may listen to them but outside of the practice. That's my advice.

Go to Top of Page

Indigo

USA
54 Posts

Posted - May 02 2014 :  8:58:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Hawkste,

I have experimented with various sounds while meditating. Portable CD player, and ear buds and have found little benefit from isochronic sounds. The mind will become still by focusing on the inhalation and exhalation. There are several different meditation methods that utilize the breath. All you need to do is find the method that works best for you whether it be an AYP practice, Vipassana, or Kriya practice. Personally, Kriya is my method of choice, but, when the need arises then it is Vipassana (Insight meditation) that I practice.
Go to Top of Page

Govinda

USA
176 Posts

Posted - May 02 2014 :  11:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by hawkste

Some people use Tibetan bowls and other sounds.There was one post i found about using these sounds,but there was only one reply,so im still curious as to whether these sounds are beneficial.Thanks

Namaste hawkste,

While I do agree that the internal sonic frequencies of the Sound Current, the AUM vibration, are the best for bringing the mind to a single focal point in conscious-awareness, there is absolutely nothing wrong with working with external stimulation to trigger and activate our inner cultivation. If it works for you, I say go for it! Seekers for millenniums have used drums, gongs, bells, flutes, harps and various stringed instruments to attune the mind and heart of the adherent to the spiritual realms.

Chanting, bhajan and kirtan, likewise are useful tools to shift one's awareness and free the soul bird from it's temporal cage. Effectively uniting the bhakta with the object of his or her Ishta, therefore, loosing oneself in the Sacred union, wholly transcending finite subjectivity. Not two... only the one!

My point is that whatever works for any and all sincere seekers is inherently good. IMHO, we ought not be narrow or dogmatic about these issues. One simply cannot expect a seed sprouting enthusiastically, to behave like a fully grown tree and instantly sprout flowers and bear fruit. I feel that everything happens in its own natural rhythm and progression. There are many diverse ways, each leading harmoniously along the Way, or as Lao Tzu described it, the Eternal Tao.

Besides, listening to said external sonics surely do help to develop one's capacity to hear the inner sounds, more naturally and effectively. Even when one hears the scintillating tone of the AUM vibration, it's cool to explore training our attention with isochronic tones, binaural beats, quartz crystal singing bowls or something as organic as sitting before a roaring waterfall or keenly listening to the beautiful gurgling sounds of a mountain brook. They are all echoes of OM.

Tibetan Buddhist monks arguably spend more time in deep meditation than most of us here do and yet, they still chant for hours on end, use gongs, cymbals, great bellowing horns and the like, to aid in their heightened awakening. The same can be said for Gregorian chanting in grand cathedrals. I have found that Blowing Zen (playing the Japanese shakuhachi flute) also lifts my spirit to an incredible level of consciousness. Or frankly, any flute, from any cultural context. The great Zen monk, Watazumi Dozo, referred to the "One Sound". It's everywhere, within everything. The sound of the ocean, birds singing, thunder booming, the hissing of steam from a tea kettle... or the rhythmic beating of the pulsing heart.

All methods, techniques and practices, inner or outer, are valuable tools to take the attention deeper and still deeper within and ultimately, beyond oneself. As a longtime practitioner of Kriya Yoga and Surat Shabd Yoga, I can attest to the sheer power of experiencing the inner sounds and the inner light... but the real gains are due to our degree intent and our clarity of perception. It matters little how we ascend to these exalted states.

Sure, we need time to delve into the fulcrum of the transcendental. Most of the truly significant changes we make in our sadhana, are do to developing our transfixed concentration, bringing our mind into complete silence and expanding our consciousness to the Divine threshold, via deep meditation. while there are many paths, they all lead home.

The most powerful thing my exalted Master ever told me was this, "Allow yourself to fully bloom." I have come to understand that this message is not about specific methodologies, practices or paths... it's more about shifting our attention and our intent beyond the known. Seeing beyond the finite confines of the relative ego, following the I-thought to it's origin. 'Tis the calling of the indwelling Godhead.

It may or may not involve ecstatic blissfulness, perceiving unmoving emptiness, gazing into the Light of the Supreme or listening acutely to the Sacred music from the heavenly spheres. Whatever we sincerely embrace in our training and earnest explorations, without steady integration or maintaining the balance, it's really just another mind Mego game we are playing. Just another subject-object dichotomy, a virtual house of mirrors and projected conceptual paradigms (dualities between this and that)?

Again, it's all good, so as long as it opens you up, stills your mind, lifts you higher and awakens you from your mortal dreamscapes. Coupled with deep meditation, outer sounds or songs are both viable and most healing!

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya

Go to Top of Page

Indigo

USA
54 Posts

Posted - May 02 2014 :  11:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure, if isochronic sounds helps you or anyone else there is nothing wrong with it. Best to experiment and see what works best for you. After all as Govinda has written..... "whatever works for any and all sincere seekers is inherently good."
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - May 03 2014 :  1:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
do kriya breaths until you hear omkar and focus on that. if you're doing kriya breath properly omkar will always be there. i hear it when i half ass kriya
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000