Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Difference morning and evening DM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  4:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
My morning DM is very different from evening DM:

In the morning - usually between 6 and 7 am - my DM is not very deep, and it is not easy to stay with the mantra because many thought streams arise (often concerning problems or people I work with on my job) which are more powerful than the mantra.

In the evening - usually between 5.30 and 6.30 pm - it is very easy to dive in DM, leave all the problems and events of daily life, and simply follow the mantra.

Since my morning session is less appealing and pleasant than the evening session, I currently have to force myself to get out of my bed for morning practice. In the evening, no problem: I come home from work and just naturally enjoy my practice.

I wonder if this difference between morning and evening practice means anything I should understand - or simply accept it as it is. Also, can and/or should I do something in order to balance the way I experience both sessions a bit better?

I will appreciate your advice.

Edited by - Ecdyonurus on Mar 24 2014 4:05:37 PM

PureAwareness

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  8:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same experience as you. I think it's just a matter of the different states of consciousness due to waking up not soon before practicing compared to then being active all day, which will allow you to notice the depth of the meditation much more.

I used to meditate within five or ten minutes of waking, which is when this scattered mind problem was at its worst. I tried changing it and tending to other morning responsibilities before I meditate, leading me to meditate about 30-40 minutes after waking, which made a huge difference in my morning meditation, improving the ease with which I slipped into a deep state of consciousness.

However, this is all subjective experience and in the AYP system, as we know, it is encouraged to effortlessly follow the practice without paying too much attention to the details. So another thing you could incorporate into morning routine other than waiting longer to meditate would be to meditate without any resistance toward the more scattered state of mind. If your mind is more scattered, let it be scattered and know that the technique is naturally following its course, and be the observer of the mantra and scattered mind, without getting caught up in the storm of thoughts. Hoped that helped some
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  3:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you PureAwareness!

Interesting... so both sessions may just feel different because in the morning the mind goes from "very still" (sleep) to "still",(DM), and in the evening it goes from "busy" (daily activity) to "still" (DM).

I think that your idea to wait 30-40 minutes after waking makes sense, I have to try.

However, this means that I have to wake up earlier, which is not easy now because I am very tired due to job and family challenges in the last months...
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  3:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have heard from other systems (ananda) that it is best to do meditation "immediately" upon awakening in the morning, but that is OTHER meditation techniques. I wonder what's best for AYP: immediately after awakening, or wait a half hour to do the morning meditation?

I've been doing AYP immediately after waking up, and have noticed that it's a different experience than the night-time meditation. Same issue as you guys mentioned: more active mind, harder to get into stillness. But the upside is that I'm very calm and peaceful. So I'll try just sitting in my meditation position without meditating for 5 minutes before DM and then start DM and see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  3:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
So I'll try just sitting in my meditation position without meditating for 5 minutes before DM and then start DM and see what happens.

I do this often if my night meditation falls after dinner or if I am weary from the day. Many times the mantra will seem to start on its own, when the moment is "ripe".
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  3:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have same morning med not as deep as the day lies ahead and the discipline really needs to be applied to reinforce the practice in the morning Ii have been a little cloudy of late as well so have reduced the time in morning still doing sb followed by dm then samyama maybe a little overload is coming on too many practices too quick ,self pacing and balance is needed and may take a while to work out good to hear that I am not the only one and sharing this is a great help having a little wobble just makes you get the balance back I suppose anyway peace and love
Go to Top of Page

insideout

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2015 :  8:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit insideout's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I experienced the same thing, my morning meditations were strongly colored by what the day was expected to bring. Night, and especially noon, meditations would go deeper and the dive was much faster. Don't know if that means more or less purification was going on in the morning.

Over the past few months or so I added more kumbhaka (5 rounds of Yoni) and I've been more diligent about doing a set of asanas prior to morning meditations. This has deepened morning meditations significantly. After sleep, my feeling is that I am coming out of the subconscious and my brain is foggy. So I like to hit it hard in the morning with some of the more intense practices. This carries forward to deeper meditation sessions.
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2015 :  9:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So I've tried to wait 30 minutes before morning meditation and it definitely did help.

insideout, I think you're right that some "activity" before morning meditation is good.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2015 :  07:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Ecdyonurus
I can't remember if you do any SBP before your meditation. I find SBP to quiet the mind a lot, even it's just 2 breaths.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  09:06:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BlueRaincoat, yes I do SBP, both in the morning and the evening session.

Actually, I found out that waiting about 30 minutes before morning session is a good thing for me. But most of all, it became clear that doing a gentle asana routine before sitting practices kind of wakes me up, so that sitting practices now are much smoother in the morning too. Still not as pleasant as in the evening, but much better than 1 year ago as I wrote the first post in this topic.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000