Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Relationship between age & spiritual potential
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2014 :  12:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Given the fact that, as we age, our libido & ability to replenish our seed (the storehouse of our prana/spiritual power) diminishes, it occurred to me that this might have a direct adverse effect on our spiritual potential as well. If true, this would be a shame since many come to spirituality later in life after discovering the fruitlessness of a more materially focused lifestyle. If, in fact, this is the case, what can be done to thwart or reverse the situation?

Much appreciated,

Greg

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2014 :  1:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg:

Yes, it is true that as we get older, vitality becomes less. That can actually be helped by yoga practices, so it goes both ways. Vitality helps yoga, and yoga helps vitality.

To be honest, I was surprised to see the demographics as they developed some years back for viewership of the AYP Youtube videos (the most statistically significant age profile we have), with interest peaking in the 45-55 years range for both sexes, and a dramatic drop off after age 65, perhaps because the over 65 crowd is less likely to be seeking new endeavors. I am over that age, and have not experienced a drop off in interest, but I have been meditating since early 20s, so it is long and deeply ingrained. (For more on AYP traffic stats, see here.)

We do see senior citizens here regularly, and the question does come up from time to time. Here is a lesson that offers some perspective: http://www.aypsite.org/74.html

Bottom line: No effort in spiritual practices is ever wasted. So let's make hay while the sun is shining.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

PS: Obviously, we'd like to see the peak in interest for spiritual practices move toward younger people, and that is a function of mainstream research and education. This is why I think increasing interest and research at the university level is very important for the long term. The earlier we begin spiritual practices in this life, the better, especially if we can sustain a consistent routine of daily practice over decades. If many more people were doing that around the world, the global implications would be huge. So we keep chipping away at it.

Other angles on reaching younger people are incorporating more "trendy" approaches to presenting the knowledge and also integrating full-scope yoga teachings into the vast yoga studio (asanas) industry. I am in favor of both, as long as the integrity of the AYP baseline system is kept intact, and not sold out, as has can happen when a spiritual teaching (or publication) goes mainstream.

Go to Top of Page

Buffle37

Switzerland
79 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2014 :  3:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buffle37's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg,

I am 76 years old, 77 in june. I don’t see any decrease in vitality or interest. In fact, it is the contrary and I have a lot of trouble with too many ecstatic waves and periodically I have to stop or reduce my practice. So please, take advantage of the years you still have ahead without looking behind.

Didier
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  01:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Buffle...

Hello Daddy !

I'm sorry... I couldn't resist that!

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  05:10:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani
To be honest, I was surprised to see the demographics as they developed some years back for viewership of the AYP Youtube videos (the most statistically significant age profile we have), with interest peaking in the 45-55 years range for both sexes, and a dramatic drop off after age 65, perhaps because the over 65 crowd is less likely to be seeking new endeavors.

Hi Yogani, very interesting statistics. Beside the fact that interest seems to drop off after age 65, I was surprised to see that men seem to be much more interested than women.

Maybe People reaching the age of "midlife crises" simply feel that they have to change something in their lifes. That could be a reason why people at that age are attracted by a more spiritual life.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  05:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Buffle37
I am 76 years old, 77 in june. I don’t see any decrease in vitality or interest.
So please, take advantage of the years you still have ahead without looking behind.
Didier

Nice advice, Didier! When did you start yoga and AYP?
Go to Top of Page

Buffle37

Switzerland
79 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  06:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buffle37's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Nice advice, Didier! When did you start yoga and AYP?

When I was 30, I began hatha yoga intensely. After my wedding at 36, my practice became quite erratic, too much work and responsibilities. Half retired at 65, I resumed hatha yoga following a lot of yoga seminars and discovering AYP six years ago.

In fact, I have been interested in spiritual research as long as I can remember, already as a boy. See my first post:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=5137

Didier
Go to Top of Page

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  2:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani/Didier,

Thank you very much for the responses. That's quite reassuring.

My point is asking wasn't to insinuate that I felt practices would in any be a waste if not started at the optimal age. That's silly. :P My thinking was simply that given the strong connection between the two elements (libido & prana) it seemed a natural consequence that the energetic (and hence, spiritual) potential would likely be diminished with age. While this does seem to be the case, perhaps what is "lost" can be overcome more easily with diligent practice than I thought.

Thanks again for your replies.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  2:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Didier, I sent you an e-mail.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  3:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg:

Yes, vitality and yoga go together, with each enhancing the other. It is not primarily about libido though. Ultimately, it goes far beyond that, and higher energetic functioning is not solely dependent on libido. Some would say libido has nothing to do with enlightenment at all. On the other hand, if there is libido, it can be used in particular ways, but that is not a primary prerequisite for enlightenment. If we do the practices with dedication according to our capacity, we will have the results.

Certainly there should be no regrets no matter when we have gotten into spiritual practices in this life. It is all for the good.

The reason why I brought up the age of interest profile is because AYP is for everyone, and obviously the earlier in life people become aware of the benefits of spiritual practices, the better. We're all in it together, young and old, so I am always inviting everyone to pick up an oar and start rowing.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  8:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani wrote:

"and a dramatic drop off after age 65, perhaps because the over 65 crowd is less likely to be seeking new endeavors."

Or maybe, variations on "not seeking new endeavors":
There may be a drop off after 65 because 1) Many of those people have already found a path to enlightenment, and are happy with it. or 2) Many of those people don't use a computer or the internet for much more than email.

Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  9:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I will be 62 in a few months, and have been meditating since I was 18, spending 2 years in an ashram from ages 22-25. I was extremely regular for my first 10 or so years, then career, marriage, children and material responsibilities began to intrude, but I never really gave it up, just became less regular as my world expanded from a mostly spiritual life into material and emotional concerns, especially devotion to wife and kids. 15 years ago I had a major heart attack and during my recovery spent months revisiting my long-dormant spiritual roots. I noted that my life of the previous 20 or so years had not been off the spiritual path, but that, as a householder, my objects and methods for spiritual practice became different. It was more a devotional, bhakti practice, karma yoga and such, doing dharma. I have noted NO decrease in libido whatsoever, and, in fact, have found new power and increased ecstasy in my sexual repertoire. Old age has much to recommend it--for certain my body is neither as flexible nor as easily moved as when I was 30, but my mind is sharp, my heart overflows with devotion and my intellect discriminates with increasing perception. I look forward to being very old... and concomitantly wise, (of course), and would never trade age for youth, which, as George Bernard Shaw observed, is wasted on the young...
Michael
Go to Top of Page

NoDogma

USA
123 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  10:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
These demographics might be more related to AYP.

e.g. when I was at an Isha (initial) course few years ago, majority of the 300+ participants looked in their 20s, 30s. The # was a lot less for people over 50. It is possible that Sadhguru attracts younger population (but that's not the reason I am not following him).

Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2014 :  09:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg,
I am over 65 and started doing AYP a couple of years ago. If I am very honest I do find when people say this system takes a long time it makes me stop a bit. Perhaps that is true. Perhaps people do have to be familiar with it for a long time to get results. Perhaps bodies need to be younger and fitter than mine is to undertake such purification and opening. But I am grateful to have learned so much from AYP.

Catherine

Edited by - catrynn on Apr 14 2014 04:08:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2014 :  06:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg and all,

I would be in the older category also.
As Yogani says libido is not a perquisite for enlightenment, and in terms of enlightenment I would suggest having the ability to live a peaceful and happy life is as good a definition as any (in my book).

Nothing wrong with having loads of energy and vitality but without the peace and contentment it is fairly shallow in comparison.

As we get older we also have other opportunities with regard to self-inquiry, the whole aspect of getting older, of losing some vitality, of losing some strength and flexibility, of balancing getting older physically with mental agility and attitude.. the list goes on.

Regardless of whether we engaged actively in spiritual practices the older person in general is "older and wiser" and has by default of being a human being in this world, done significant self-inquiry already.
Ram Dass wrote a good book on getting older called "Still Here", puts a nice perspective on the letting go required as we get older and the opportunities this has for self-inquiry. It can be embraced or railed against and again it is the path of peace and contentment to embrace change and let go our preconceived notions.

These are all challenges of getting older and what helps most is the development of inner silence. Inner silence can be developed without high libido or ecstatic conductivity and I think there is probably a better chance of inner silence when we are older (in general) as we have already let go of quite a lot of the s**t.
AYP is great for developing Inner Silence, if high energy comes too personally I would regard it as a little bonus.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000