Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Deep Meditation: Mantra vs breath
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Horst

Austria
30 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2014 :  1:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I've discovered Deep Meditation a few weeks ago, and practicied regularly since then. Having practiced breath awareness meditations for years before, I now find it difficult or impossible to separate the AYAM mantra from the rhythm of my breath. In the book, Yogani says, it is not advisable to synchronize them, but how can I disentangle them? It's like the mantra rides on my breath and vice versea.

Is this a problem? Does it mean the deep meditation is not as effective? Has anybody had a similar problem?

I'm grateful for any suggestions.

Horst

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2014 :  2:05:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Horst,

have you come across Lesson 106? You can find them under 'Main Lessons' at the 'AYP Support Forums' menu at the top. I too have started with years of breath meditation before taking up Deep Meditation, and the synchronization still tends to happen sometimes, though I favor the procedure outlined in that lesson and I don't think it poses too much of a distraction to the practice, at least not as much as before.

It is important to minimize distractions during Deep Meditation as much as possible to allow it to work most effectively, even if it may take some time with regular sittings to get it to that point.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2014 :  2:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Horst,
I also had similar problems with the mantra and the breath synchronizing. After 2-3 months of practice, the mantra "found" its own pulsation, not following the breath anymore. So it could just be a matter of time and patience
Go to Top of Page

StressLess

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2014 :  9:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit StressLess's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

I can be grouped in there as well having practiced breath-centered meditation for many years. And yet after just a short while of beginning my "sit" with Spinal Breathing Pranayama and Deep Meditation practice it has found its way into smooth transition. When I find the breath wanting to attach itself to my mantra rhythm I remember Yogani speaking of "relaxing" or less effort. I sit back into the rhythms of AYAM and my edges soften.. the ones (ego) that have to "do it right".. and after a softening my flow is back on track. I surrender into an ease.

Good luck

StressLess
Go to Top of Page

Horst

Austria
30 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2014 :  3:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
THANKS A LOT for the helpful commentaries and advice.
Much appreciated!
Horst

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000