Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 The Role of the Emotional Body
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  3:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The Role of the Emotional Body

I have been wanting for months to start a thread about these two teachings and how they can merge into one.

I am going to start this off by referencing two books. The Presence Process by Michael Brown and Insight Dialogue by Gregory Kramer. I believe these two teachings merge together very well. Now to be honest I have not been to an Insight Dialogue retreat or formally trained in it. I have read the book which is colored by the teachings of Michael Brown.

There is a topic that is titled “The best places to work to practice Yoga” within this topic any place where you have interactions with people would be the perfect place.

So let’s pretend that we are at work and about to have a conversation during this process.

Step 1: PAUSE - To me this is where I stop all mental stories that is going on. If it seems simple it is. Just say Pause with the intent to be present.

Step 2: RELAX – I then put my awareness in my emotional body. I feel any tension or stress in the body and send it loving kindness, to relax. The helps us become present in the moment , to allow us to be the Witness of the emotions that come and go through our emotional body.

Step 3: OPEN - Be Open. It can be as simple as just saying I am open or sending that person loving kindness while our awareness is still placed within our heart, in our emotional body. This step I have found to be so fulfilling. Just walking down the hall at work my awareness in my emotional body and yet being open to everyone around me. It is pretty amazing.

Step 4: TRUST EMERGENCE - Trust Emergence ask us to release short-term attachments and agendas that hide us from each other. In Insight Dialogue, we let go of predicting what the other will say; we let go of planning our response. We practice without the bias of a goal. While background aspirations of compassion or peace remain, we focus on setting aside our images, judgments, and expectations to remain in the ever-changing now.
Within the teaching of Michael Brown this is where we dismiss the messenger. It is not the messenger that may cause us upset but how the message makes us feel.

Step 5: LISTEN DEEPLY - One of the main problems people have when others are talking is getting lost in our thinking. Thinking about what we are going to say in response. We really only hear a little of what the person is saying because our brain is busy trying to relate to what is being said. With Listen Deeply we pay attention to the person. First the words, to what they are saying then how the words are making us feel in our emotional body and then how is that person feeling. Are they happy or sad? Are they nervous talking to you. Be present with them, to what they are saying not the thoughts that are trying to take you away from the present moment.

Step 6: SPEAK THE TRUTH – This is about trust. Trust that what you are about to say is what needs to be said. We don’t get lost in our thoughts. Thinking about the right thing to say. We are coming from a place of loving kindness, from a place that is real and not cluttered with our past or our judgments. We are speaking the truth with kindness.

Another way of looking at it is we have allowed ourselves to respond to the emotional feeling instead of reacting. We have Witnessed our emotions as objects that come and go by being present in the moment. Our response will be different than if we had just reacted to the emotion. When we approach the situation with our awareness in our emotional body, open sending loving kindness to others,dismissing the messenger and listening deeply. We are responding from a more honest and loving place. With Speak the Truth we are trusting in ourselves.

I fear I am doing a bad job of explaining this. If you look at steps 1 and 2, that is where Michael Brown goes really deep in his teaching. Without buying his book and going through TPP I would recommend the following links:

HERE:

And for when the brain cannot let go of a subject and keeps bringing up the pain over and over.

HERE:

I know I am not the most elegant writer and that I just touched the surface of these two techniques and how they can merge together. I would love any additional insight into these two practices.

I really feel that Samyama has a important role in this. I just don't know how.

Mr. Anderson did a post on how TPP could be used as a method for Awareness teachings.
You are Awareness. Emotions are objects that come and go. Being in your emotional body allows you to be the Observer that feels the hurt, pain, conflicts as feelings in our body that come and go. As Awareness we are untouched by the emotions that became feelings/sensations in our body. We are learning or experiencing how to be the observer the Witness.

I don't know as I would call this a different system, we are still doing AYP of course.

Edited by - jonesboy on Feb 06 2014 9:23:58 PM

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  11:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Inspiring, thank you
Go to Top of Page

Ayiram

88 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2014 :  05:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ayiram's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Jonesboy,
thanks a lot for sharing!

in my experience this is an ancient, universal, natural and higly effective technique for dealing with our energy blocks in our daily activities. we use it in a way also during our DM sessions when very strong emotions pop up and we cannot easily come back to the mantra.

what i´ve found out on this one, after some years of practice, is that it first requires some level of inner silence before it gets efficient. for me it got easier, but still not easy!,after i´ve started to practice DM regularly. before that it was just "a good technique, but no feeling" (like my massage teacher would say).

this is great stuff, really. thanks once more.

Edited by - Ayiram on Feb 07 2014 05:18:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2014 :  1:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Anima Deorum

quote:
Originally posted by Ayiram

Hey Jonesboy,
thanks a lot for sharing!

in my experience this is an ancient, universal, natural and higly effective technique for dealing with our energy blocks in our daily activities. we use it in a way also during our DM sessions when very strong emotions pop up and we cannot easily come back to the mantra.

what i´ve found out on this one, after some years of practice, is that it first requires some level of inner silence before it gets efficient. for me it got easier, but still not easy!,after i´ve started to practice DM regularly. before that it was just "a good technique, but no feeling" (like my massage teacher would say).

this is great stuff, really. thanks once more.

I agree that the more inner silence we have the greater the effect. I also look at all of the studies that show the effectiveness of just 8 wks. of Mindfulness Meditation. It is like the mantra we do in DM. It takes practice to reach inner silence. It takes practice to stay within your emotional body.

At the same time inner silence allows for Samyama. Now I am a newb and just speculating but I bet that as we are dealing with our hurt. For instance, some issue is causing us stress. We feel the emotion the hurt in our body. It is Samyama that can really help in integrating or letting go of the emotion. Instead of using our thoughts, it is our feelings, as we are being with them, they are being integrated/being let go into inner silence.

So with all that being said. Yeah, I agree with you
Go to Top of Page

appolo light

Greece
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  04:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Dear friends,
a few days ago, a friend send me the information of the Precense Process, dealing with emotions like stess and axciety.
I practice 20 min DM day and night for 4 months and i would like to practice the 15 min of breathing as well.and then to do the examination of the emotions.
Is it advisable?? and how to do it? first The DM end then the Breating? or vice versa??
Just to mention that lately when i eat, i can feel to the tastes of each element of the food! I started to really enjoy the moment of eating!
I think that i started to enjoy my life, slowly but surely,
I also feel that my inner dialogue is less intense and less present, so i am much more calme to deal with what i have to do NOW!!!
I wish you all the best for each on of you
A.L.
Go to Top of Page

Ayiram

88 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  08:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ayiram's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hey Appolo light,

4 months of DM is not much, but if you feel stabile with 20 min of DM twice daily in your everyday life and if you feel the "inner calling" for the spinal breathing :), you can start adding it before the meditation. but don´t go with 15´right away, first add 5´ and do so for a few weeks and see how you feel after the whole session.if you feel stabile with that too, add 5´more, up until you reach 15´. baby steps will keep you safe

regarding the self-inquiry... do this some time outside your meditation practice if you feel like it, but don´t force it, it will all come, just stay open...

Cheers!

PS i loved that part about eating and enjoying life ...
Go to Top of Page

Ayiram

88 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  09:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ayiram's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hey there again Appolo light...

i have to correct myself about SB; AYP recommends 10´maximum, not 15`. so, first try adding 5´ and if stabile with that, after a few weeks another 5´... and that´s it!

just to make sure:

http://www.aypsite.org/41.html

"Begin by doing this spinal breathing practice for five minutes before your regular meditations. We don't get up between pranayama and meditation. Just keep your seat, and begin meditation when your pranayama time is up. Take a minute or so before effortlessly beginning the mantra, just as originally instructed. Once you get comfortable in the routine of doing pranayama and meditation, one after the other, increase the time of pranayama to ten minutes. You will be doing ten minutes of pranayama and twenty minutes of meditation twice each day. Continue with this practice."

Edited by - Ayiram on Feb 12 2014 09:38:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  1:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi appolo light,

I would not try to add the breathing technique to AYP. It will be to much. When you do TPP you have to stop doing AYP for those 10 wks. I had great results of doing TPP after I had done AYP for 6 months. Still a little bit of time. I really believe that the more inner silence you have the greater the effect TPP or any of these other teachings will be.

Good luck and take care.
Go to Top of Page

appolo light

Greece
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2014 :  06:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ayiram, Hi jonesboy,
thank you for the posts!

It is, that i feel that i can detecte the message of my emotional body, and quite offten i can recall my childhood memory, i can connecte with my inner child ,feel it, confort it, and then i feel calm , great, clean.

There are some cases , i have an emotion, and the physical sensasion today, that i have since childhood and i cant touche it, i can not mentaly grasp it,i cant justify it, what to do then???

I do not want to stop the DM, could i work with DM and the instruction of the TPP?? or the breathing is working the same way the DM???

The other day, after the DM I felt extreme anger, for no reason, what is it ?
My inner child is angry for some reason? the feeling of anger come on the surfase for me to deal with it??

I seat down and i just try to observe the anger, the palpytation of my heart, i did not try to find a reason from childhood or other to make sense! The feeling slowly went!

This is suppose to happen with all the non justified senses of emotions???

Dear friends thanks for sharing
A.L.

Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2014 :  09:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

There are some cases , i have an emotion, and the physical sensasion today, that i have since childhood and i cant touche it, i can not mentaly grasp it,i cant justify it, what to do then???

The other day, after the DM I felt extreme anger, for no reason, what is it ?
My inner child is angry for some reason? the feeling of anger come on the surfase for me to deal with it??

I seat down and i just try to observe the anger, the palpytation of my heart, i did not try to find a reason from childhood or other to make sense! The feeling slowly went!

This is suppose to happen with all the non justified senses of emotions???

Dear friends thanks for sharing
A.L.

It is a interesting technique. Just be with the emotion. Send it love if you can and just be with it. Don't get lost in the story. It is not required to know what is the cause of the hurt. You are feeling the emotion so whatever the reason, it is valid. Whatever the reason is, you are just suppose to be with the feeling in your emotional body. It is our thoughts that can lead us down the wrong road.

As far as the anger after meditation. You can try to rest longer after your session, cut back on your session if it does not go away or try adding time to just be with the emotion in your emotional body. Whenever you add anything to AYP you have to watch out for overloading. This type of practice can add to that so it is prudent to take things slow. AYP is some powerful stuff, I am constantly kicked in the butt as a reminder to not forget that fact :)

Go to Top of Page

appolo light

Greece
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  1:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again,
doinig the TPP and dealing with my inner child, sudenly a lot of very old memories from chilhood appeard!!

Not bad, not good, sould i treat them as answers to my questions??
The issues is that i donot connecte them with some specific event!
Any idea is very welcome
Thnks alot
A.L.
Go to Top of Page

appolo light

Greece
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  07:05:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello dear friends,
just some more ideas come after i posted my message,

dealing with strong sexual desire, that i want to accepte, to feel and to let it go, when i try to dive into my childhood, i detecte some strong feelings, a specific event and no specific event more ancient than this.
I cannot know if this is real sexual desire, can i 5 years old child have sexual ideas?

Is finaly freedom, the situation where i can accepte all my emotions and ideas without, this emotions and ideas to control me?

To accepte my chilhood fears and to deal with them, to accepte the teenager me and to be ok with him as well?

To observe them and then to oriantate my mind into somethink else?

It is only three weeks that i started TPP, so a lot of questions are coming to my mind
Thank you very much for your input!
A.L.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  09:04:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ayiram

hey there again Appolo light...

i have to correct myself about SB; AYP recommends 10´maximum, not 15`. so, first try adding 5´ and if stabile with that, after a few weeks another 5´... and that´s it!

just to make sure:

http://www.aypsite.org/41.html

"Begin by doing this spinal breathing practice for five minutes before your regular meditations. We don't get up between pranayama and meditation. Just keep your seat, and begin meditation when your pranayama time is up. Take a minute or so before effortlessly beginning the mantra, just as originally instructed. Once you get comfortable in the routine of doing pranayama and meditation, one after the other, increase the time of pranayama to ten minutes. You will be doing ten minutes of pranayama and twenty minutes of meditation twice each day. Continue with this practice."

Hi Ayiram and all,

Just to clarify, the instructions you are quoting from there are instructions for people beginning the practice. Once someone is established in Spinal Breathing they can extend the practice to 15 minutes, or even 20 or more twice a day. Extending the practice is gradual and done over a long period of time.

The same is true for Deep Meditation. The practice can be extended over 20 minutes as people progress.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  7:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

p.s.

I just received an email from someone confused about my last post above. So, to give some more clarification:

The AYP baseline is 10 minutes Spinal Breathing and 20 minutes meditation. Extending the practice times beyond that is for experienced practitioners who are stable in their practice and who want to take their practice to a higher level. Anyone doing so should be familiar with the principals of self-pacing (which hopefully everyone is anyway) .

The timings are given at the bottom of the "AYP Practices Chart" which is on page 347 of the Easy Lessons for Ecstatic living book volume 2, and also in the "Eight Limbs of Yoga" book. It simply says SBP "standard" 5-10mins, "aggressive" 10+ mins, DM "standard" 10-20 mins, "aggressive" 20+ mins. There are also several discussions in the main lessons about extending practice times beyond the baseline.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

appolo light

Greece
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2014 :  04:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Christi for the clear info!
As far as my practice i stoped DM for this period, and i practice the breathing tecnique of TPP.
I have to admit that i have some moments that I am silent, that i dont react at all, and even that i force my self to respond, like my brain do not want to think
Is this somethink bad?? For sur it is smthk new to my!
I donot persive bad, but like I am silently observing and breathing!
Is this the witness??
Any idea is very welcome
I think that TPP has a huge impact on the experience of my life!
I wish you a very good wkend
A.L.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2014 :  12:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2014 :  3:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by appolo light

Thank you Christi for the clear info!
As far as my practice i stoped DM for this period, and i practice the breathing tecnique of TPP.
I have to admit that i have some moments that I am silent, that i dont react at all, and even that i force my self to respond, like my brain do not want to think
Is this somethink bad?? For sur it is smthk new to my!
I donot persive bad, but like I am silently observing and breathing!
Is this the witness??
Any idea is very welcome
I think that TPP has a huge impact on the experience of my life!
I wish you a very good wkend
A.L.

Hi Apollo,

Yes, that is the silent witness. It is not a bad thing at all, but a good sign of progress. It is also the beginning stages of sahaja samadhi, or spontaneously arising samadhi. It can be a bit disorientating at first, especially when the mind becomes completely silent and you find that you cannot think even if you want to. Gradually our relationship to thought changes, and we find that we can operate just fine in the world with a silent mind.

Great to hear that you are finding good progress with TPP.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

appolo light

Greece
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2014 :  06:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jonesboy, Hi Christi,
question!
I like very much the reality- breathing , observing, not reacting,
BUT how am i take decisions for my life, my job, my familie, if i do not think???
Quite often during the day, i get to the mood breathing even when i cut a salad lets say, or walkink or watching TV, How I ll get in action if i am passive????

Thank you very much for any of your ideas!!!
I feel that some thinks canot be said, they must be experienced!
still some preview from you would be very very reassuaring!!
Goog day Friends!!
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2014 :  09:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
applolo,

You are already doing it :) So why the worry?

We all have thoughts right? It does not matter if we want them or not we all have them. The Witness is the non attachment to your thoughts. You still have them, you are just not emotionally attached to them. You are the Witness of your thoughts.

What it does is allows you to see things for how they are. Not what the mind brings up to tell a story about what happens. Watch any Byron Katie video to see it in action.

So in short. Relax, let whatever happens happens. You will think when it is time to think. Remember thinking is different than daydreaming. Just relax into whatever is happening.

Good luck,
Go to Top of Page

appolo light

Greece
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  10:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you jonesboy
I trust the process!
Brobably, if i do not feel to say somethink duiring a conversation i will not force myself on a coment.
I suppose silence is better that nonsense.
Go to Top of Page

appolo light

Greece
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2014 :  1:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again dear Friends,
only five days passed and terrible fear and childhood traumas come along.
I try to feel it and heal it but it is very very difficult, i canot sleep at night, and i realised A LOT of anxietys that i have all my life!!
I am very angry as well, sould i stop TPP and go buck to the DM????
Any idea is very very welcom
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2014 :  4:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
TPP is tough, make no mistake about it. I wanted to quit, I think everyone wants to quit when they do it. I believe we are given what we need and can handle.

With that being said. If it is really to much for you to deal with right now then yes go back to AYP and let it do it's work.
Go to Top of Page

appolo light

Greece
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2014 :  07:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Jonesboy!
I feel very bad, and i cry nonstop
I am afraid that even the DM canot help me
I feel that i have to rescue my inner child, but i donot know how,
Where is the joy and hapiness in my life? I have every think and i am seriously unhappy, searching for answers, seasching to undersdend why i am so miserable, always searching, always some anxiety why????
I hope God will help seriously this time!!!
About the inner child any Idea is very well come!
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2014 :  4:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tried stopping all practices for a few days to see how that works?
Go to Top of Page

appolo light

Greece
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2014 :  02:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good Idea i ll do it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000