Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Please help with eye positioning..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karmic

India
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2014 :  09:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I seem to be sensitive on this eye positioning issue while in meditation.

I try to maintain a neutral eye position (i.e. try to look straight ahead on darkness while eyes closed) but end up in eyes crossed position. I generally realise this when as a part of repetitive facial scan during meditation, I find my eyes in strained condition and upon relaxing them I feel movement of eyeballs towards frontal position.

SOmetimes I find my eyes are positioned as if looking at the tip of the nose in downward direction.

Today, after going through some mail on the forum, I tried to maintain an upward gaze during meditation session but it turned matter worse, as Im constantly feeling slight giddiness for last 2 hrs.( I guess my eyes were crossed while looking up and hence the strain)

What should I do??

I dont know but this eye position issue keep cropping once in a while, it lasts for certain number of days and disappears on its own.Those times my meditation sessions are really disturbed.

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2014 :  12:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've not come across something like this since back when first starting up meditation. I wouldn't know if maybe to you it is some sort of an automatic yoga, as from my experience it does also manifest as mudras and bandhas, and in your case maybe as some form of sambhavi. Do you feel an urge directing your eyes to such spots of focus? In other systems, you can have practices such as setting the plumb line, suneye method, or merging the light of the Sun and Moon, each involving some sort of gentle crossing of eyes while closed. The instructions from the lessons simply suggest to keep eyes closed for meditation, and if tension or strain builds up somewhere, which no doubt includes the eyes, upon noticing return to deep meditation, or place gentle attention on such location to help dissipate it, then proceed with deep meditation as soon as possible. See 'Lesson 372 – Witnessing versus Focused Attention to Dissolve Obstructions' for more on this instruction, particularly the 5th paragraph in the answer. As is the case here as well, re-reading some of the lessons on deep meditation could help clear up tendencies that may tag on to the simple instructions, or conversely highlight aspects of a method that may have previously lacked a context and which could be added or serve to modify existing procedures.
Go to Top of Page

karmic

India
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2014 :  12:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No, I don't feel any urge as such to maintain any specific eye position.

As a principle, I always favour relaxation/ allowing/let-go over tension. And while taking up relaxation route,I end up in crossed eye position- forward, upward or downward.

I dont know if this is what classified as Automatic Yoga, but I do feel concerned that with such tendency practising Sambhavi would be a nightmare.

I must point out here that before taking up AYP, I practised Jangam Dhyan method ( by Shive Rudra Balayogi), in which the only thing you do is to sit and focus on your third eye area (between eyebrows)for extended time periods. I can easily recall that as a practise I use to enjoy the sittings but soon this eyes crossing issue cropped up and I slowly lost interest in that practise, as everyday my eyes started becoming more and more sore.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000