Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Why theos didnt experience anything?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karmic

India
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2014 :  06:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
HI Friends,

I felt very disappointed after going through "Hath Yoga: The report of a personal experience" by Theos Bernard that despite such efforts and direct supervisions from various yogis, he couldnt experience anything related to kundalini.

The disappointment stemmed from the fact that even after such rigorous training if he couldnt experience anything concrete(except some light visions), then what realistic expectations/goals can we set for ourselves(myself) in this path when we have many goals to pursue in our daily lives.

What can be the plausible explanation to his case? I invite your comments..

Experientialknowing

USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2014 :  10:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Karmic. everyone is different in a different stage of understanding so what one may experience another may not. The surest way to avoid experiences is to activly seek them.

In a busy life Hatha may or may not fit. Kriya is a Yoga that was originaly intended for working people and as such is suitable for a busy life style or that of a family person.

What is it you desire? then we can discuss goals until a desire is expressed a goal can not be known.

For example if I desire a clean vehicle I have to develope a strategy to make the vehicle clean and then the finished product of a clean vehicle is my goal.

If I go about cleaning it with water that has minerals in it when the car dries it will be covered in dirty looking white spots, by my incorrect application and sticking to incorrect procedure my goal not only becomes unrealistic but ultimatly unobtainable.

I have a goal. My goal is to understand, to be aware in a thoroughly experiential way to be in perfect composure no matter where this self may find itself and in understanding share with others too, so we may all understand everything we are.

I have a methodolgy for achieving that goal and a practice it is named Kriya but there are other paths this is not the only one, just the one that suits me.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2014 :  11:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi karmic:

Theos Bernard was an early 20th century author and explorer. His main claim to fame was his travels and writings on Tibetan Buddhism. He was the nephew of the then very famous and flamboyant American hatha and tantric yogi, Pierre Bernard (see alternate link below, if needed). Theos's travels, writings, and opinions on hatha yoga may have been a reaction to his overwhelming uncle, as well as finding his own niche as one of the first transmitters of Tibetan Buddhism in the west.

All of this occurred in the early decades of the 20th century, so is quite dated. Eastern spiritual teachings have become far more accessible and more efficiently applied in the century since. Times have changed a lot, as has the receptivity of the human race to spiritual practices and experiences.

Nevertheless, it is fascinating and inspiring to read about these early pioneers who brought eastern wisdom to the west, and made quite a splash doing it in their day. We should not forget their ground-breaking work.

There is an excellent book on Pierre Bernard, also covering Theos's career:
"The Great Oom: the Improbable Birth of Yoga in America" by Robert Love.

As for information on the effectiveness of modern yoga, kundalini, etc., just read these forums. There is plenty of evidence that there is something profound going on. The tools and support are readily available. The rest is up to you.

All the best on your path!

The guru is in you.

PS: If the above embedded link to Pierre Bernard on Wikipedia does not work on your browser, try copy/pasting this on the address line of your browser: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Bernard_(yogi)

For some reason the parentheses are not coming through for the embedded link.

Note: The embedded link above has been updated per Kirtanman's suggestion below. Thanks, Kirtanman.

Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2014 :  7:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani and All,

Just FYI, to post problematic links (with parentheses and such), an easy solution is to go to a shortlink service such as goo.gl and paste the original link into the box - and get a usable shortlink, and then, embed that.

As follows.

Wikipedia article:

Pierre Bernard - Yogi

Edited by - Kirtanman on Jan 18 2014 7:21:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2014 :  10:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi karmic,

if he has not advanced much with what he has done, why bother with it. Go with those people's techniques and teachings who have reached something.

Also not to forget, this man has died with the age of 39. In theory you should be able to go far in this timeframe, but we all know that hatha yoga has not produced too many realized people. At least not among those living in more social lifestyles. Yogis in the himalayas may have reached more with it :)

The lessons on this site are very good to get a detailed overview about the body mind, its machinery and what leads to what. All cming from someone who has practiced and reached the goal of Yoga :)

Peace friend
Go to Top of Page

karmic

India
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2014 :  05:46:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello EK, Holy, Kirtanman and Yogani,

Many thanks for your sincere inputs. I have great respect for all you people who are putting efforts to be of some help to others.

I read and re-read my post 2-3 times and understood I need to be more precise with what Im trying to ask.

When I say "Why Theos did not succeed?", Im trying to analyse the missing factor in his practise regimen. Im not raising a question on the efficacy of YOGA(hatha and raja in his case) per se or on the tools that Yoga provides us (nauli, basti, kumbhaka, khechri etc. etc.).My sole intention is directed towards doing a case study on him, as a student of Yoga.

The possibilty that YOGANI has pointed out can not be overruled as we do not know anything about the integrity of Theos but I don't want to look things from this angle. Im giving Theos benefit of doubt on this.

As far as my analysis goes, the missing link may be "Bhakti" as Theos has never mentioned anything related to his emotional/mental developments during the course of his practise.

Please treat this topic as a food for thought and enlighten me with your experience and understanding of the subject ..

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000