Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 Tantra perspective on Promiscuity vs Monogamy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anonymous123

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2013 :  9:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am aware of a personal desire for promiscuity, yet im in a monogamous relationship. Conceptually, the common understanding is the path of conquering and sleeping around proves to be empty. Yet, I still have this juvenile pattern operating.

Is it possible to mature into monogamy without first acting out playing around? - ie - to do this from within monogamous relationship? in other words, does promiscuity stem from some form of repression around sexuality and if healed, becomes abundantly satisfying within a monogamous relationship? Or is it something that needs to be matured through by 'getting it out of the system'?

I would like to hear from people that have walked the different paths, and what they found..

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  05:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. Difficult to say - it's very personal depending on how you're wired. This topic may be of great interest:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=11915
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  07:21:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anonymous123

I am aware of a personal desire for promiscuity, yet im in a monogamous relationship. Conceptually, the common understanding is the path of conquering and sleeping around proves to be empty. Yet, I still have this juvenile pattern operating.

Is it possible to mature into monogamy without first acting out playing around? - ie - to do this from within monogamous relationship? in other words, does promiscuity stem from some form of repression around sexuality and if healed, becomes abundantly satisfying within a monogamous relationship? Or is it something that needs to be matured through by 'getting it out of the system'?

I would like to hear from people that have walked the different paths, and what they found..

Hello anonymous,

Unlike popular belief, tantra is not about sex, and certainly not about licentiousness. Regardless of what path one follows, the laws of karma very much apply. Wanting to "play around", as you say, has to do with one's deep-rooted issues and attachment/aversion to physical intimacy, that when acted upon will cause nothing but a cascade of pain for everyone involved - and that is definitively NOT the tantric way. The yamas and niyamas of yoga and the primary laws of dharma form the basis of all spiritual paths. There is no way around it.

My advice would be to examine your thoughts and deepen your spiritual practice rather than find a way (spiritual or otherwise) to justify such a pull/tendency. Sounds like you already have the awareness that such justification does not add up - that is wonderful; develop that to the extent where you can work on yourself to let it go in a way that upholds and honors your relationship with your significant other and yourself.

Best of luck on your path.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000