Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 To zafu or not to zafu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  09:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Meditation in bed is not always possible for me, so i was wondering if anyone uses a zafu with siddhasana for meditation?

I know i can use a pillow but I plan on doing yoga for a long time and spending a little money for ease and comfort doesnt seem like a bad idea.

Govinda

USA
176 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  10:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go for it, jonesboy. My older brother bought his zafu and accompanying zabutan, back in 1980, when we both lived in Boulder, CO. Nearly 34 years later, he still uses them for his Zazen sitting meditation. One if the best investments you could make! He feels that they have become an intrinsic part of his sitting practice (as well as old friends).
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  10:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have been using a zafu for years - love it!
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  11:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's all I need to hear. There are some really good sales going on right now. Is the round one ok or would the crescent moon one be better? I am thinking the crescent moon one but I also have the feeling it really doesn't matter. Any thoughts on the shape or style? I hear some people complain of bugs from certain type of zafu's.
Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  1:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If there are bugs in the zafu, put it in a plastic bag overnight in the freezer. That's how children's soft toys are de-bugged.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  09:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think the shape matters. The purpose of the zafu is so you can sit with your knees lower than your butt. This causes a proper curve in your lower back so you can sit for long periods without back support.
The other option is just support your back. Both are fine.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000