AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 AYP Smartphone App
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogamonster

20 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  10:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone thought about making a smartphone app for AYP? It would be cool to have all the lessons and support forums on one app :] I wouldn't mind getting reminders for group meditations, either.

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2013 :  02:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah...that would be cool

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2013 :  11:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Funny, this idea popped in my head over the weekend. Unfortunately, I have no experience coding an app! I thought it might be a good learning project.

My thought was to have an integrated timer, journal, sit reminders, random mindfulness reminders, and some of the core lessons and perhaps a glossary of terms, techniques and positions. Easy access to the forums perhaps.

The lessons are all available as ebooks so not sure they would be included in an app.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  12:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogaman, I think the app should be able to cross-reference topics to the ebooks that the user may have downloaded and stored in iBooks (for example).
Go to Top of Page

Anibaru

Chile
72 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2013 :  10:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have experience with Android. If something comes up i would be happy to contribute.
For iOS i can do something, but it is very expensive to develop something for iOS.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  08:01:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

Thanks for bringing this up. Doing mobile device apps for AYP has been a recurring discussion behind the scenes for a few years now. It has been a matter of considering what could be gained and the time and money it would take to reformat everything for small screens, add desired new features, etc.

To be honest, embarking on such a massive multi-pronged project is far beyond the manpower and financial ability we currently have. So whatever advantages could be found in such an undertaking are simply beyond our reach at this time.

That said, the news is not all bad. We have in fact been accommodating the mobile world as much as we can for quite a while. It boils down to what mobile device users can read and hear from AYP.

The free online lessons have been in fixed format since the beginning, meaning, the text does not automatically wrap (flow) to fit small screens with larger readable font size. This has not been an issue on tablets, where the AYP website actually looks better than on a widescreen desktop or laptop, because the lessons were originally written for the old narrow screen computers. Old technology does have a few advantages.

There is no argument that on smart phones, reading the free online lessons can be inconvenient, because there is no flow format. So you have to zoom the text until it is readable, and then scroll back and forth on the small screen to read it. This is not the case with the forum, which does have flow format. For the lessons, there are two solutions for the fixed format problem.

First, the AYP ebooks (all English editions and most translations) are available in flow format through Amazon Kindle, Apple iBooks, Google Play, AYP Direct Downloads, and other sources. This includes the lessons with expanded content (AYP Volumes 1&2), as well as all the Enlightenment Series books and the Secrets of Wilder novel. In these cases, the AYP ebook content is being delivered via the mobile apps of the various sources, which suits us just fine.

The same goes for the AYP audiobooks, which are available on all devices through the major channels mentioned above.

Second, we are working on a further expanded version of the lessons to be available via subscription online, which will be in flow format, contain "adaptive learning" features, illustrations, audio/video, providing a more personal interface, more interactivity and responsiveness to the individual needs of practitioners. This enhanced and interactive version of the lessons will be called "AYP Plus," and I am hoping we can have it available in the second half of 2014. Whether AYP+ ends up having a mobile app remains to be seen, but it will be in flow format for easy access on small screen browsers.

If developing mobile apps makes sense at some point in terms of the allocation of time and financial resources (when we have any to spare ), then it will certainly be considered at that time. But the plate is more than full here now with all that is going on. For mobile apps to happen, someone, or group of someones, would have to take the lead, similar to the way we have been doing the international translations, where there are many volunteers doing the lion's share of the work. It is most appreciated.

Thanks for the input on this. I'm sure we will be revisiting mobile apps in the future. Keep in mind that good ideas usually require substantial investments of time and money to be realized. All things in good time.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2014 :  10:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've piqued the interest of an iPhone developer for a meditation/yoga app. This is all in the very early stages, but he's got another app that tracks similar enough types of data that I think it will be easy for him to transfer over to what I have in mind. He isn't a meditator himself (yet!) but has interest in it.

The more I've thought about this app, at least the first incarnation, it would not be an exhaustive reference to AYP information. In fact, I've no idea how "open source" the information on AYP truly is — in other words, can an AYP-focused app be developed by a third-party?

The idea I have in mind is more of a session timer and journal. One would be able to craft their self-paced sits for any activity (pranayama, meditation, rest, etc) with timers and gentle chimes for each session, all grouped into a "sit". The same would go for an asana routine. At the end of a sit, there would be a prompt to rate the sit and add some notes. There would be a calendar view with all the records of sits in the past. I have found the calendar view with a big check mark on it to be a nice motivator and visual reference.

A basic glossary of terms and an overview of techniques and practices would be ideal, as would an overview of the 8 limbs of yoga in general.

My thought here would be to have a list of techniques that can be tapped on to get detailed information of the technique, and when and how it is to be included. You'd be able to add it to your sit, and reorder as needed (and edit durations and such). Same for the asanas, which need a large text display, easy pose descriptions and maybe I'll out my art skills to use and get some pose drawings in there.

The app would not, at least not to start, be any sort of offline version of the AYP site nor would it be a collection of all the books or lessons. It would be more about actual sits, keeping a journal of them and a reference guide to the direct info needed for asanas and sits. That said, i would love to hear from the group about ideas or features to consider for inclusion. And if Yogani could chime in on the details about using some of the AYP info, and specifically referencing AYP, that would be great. No matter what, the app will be able to be customized and used with AYP practices since I'll be the one directing that aspect of the project. It would be great if it could be "officially sanctioned" though :)
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2014 :  11:12:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogaman:

For the kind of practice and experience support app you are thinking of, it would be fine to reference AYP with link(s) back to the main website. A value-added app like that would be welcome.

If the desire is to directly use the AYP writings in the app beyond fair use quotes, then we should discuss that in email, because there are copyright issues related to maintaining the consistency of content and the long term financial stability of AYP operations. See the copyright notes here: www.aypsite.org/#cr and at the beginning of each AYP book.

Thanks, and all the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2014 :  12:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yogani! Yeah I do not want to step on any toes, which is why I am bringing it up now. I will email you as things move forward. No need to clutter up this discussion with the details.
Go to Top of Page

yogamonster

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2014 :  12:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I see, didn't realize something was in the works already. Also didn't realize AYP's budget was that limited for this kind of thing. Wish I could contribute - I find the lessons highly helpful, and same goes for the forums.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000