Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 physical sensations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crystal_skull

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2013 :  04:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
hello everyone.

ive been practising deep meditation for a couple of weeks now and feel i can already apreciate the benefits in my life .
i do have many questions though.

while sitting and going with the mantra , the mantra as described in the book changes , becomes fuzzy , almost disapeers or morphs into a different sound all together ,
with these changes i can feel myself being drawn deeper into my own conciousness.
as i feel this sensation of dropping into something deeper its often accompanied by a physical sensations which i seem to fixate on .
i try to let this go and not fixate to long on this feeling and return to the mantra.
i feel though that this is stopping me from progressing further into deep meditation .
is this fairly normal ?
are these the blockages in the nervous system that are spoken of in the book ?
i assume with more practice i will learn to just observe these sensations ?

any help much apreciated

thanks

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2013 :  04:58:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Crystal_skull,
Welcome to the Forums. Sounds like good things are happening with you. Yes, the distracting physical sensations you are feeling are fairly common and will pass. As emphasized in the lessons, you just gently return to the mantra when you realize you are off it...key word here is gently. And it is in daily life that you should be looking for the effects and benefits...not in anything that is happening during the sittings themselves. They will be changing constantly and it is advisable not to be looking to experience anything specific whilst doing the practices (or try to repeat an experience). Easy come, easy go.

Good luck

Sey

Go to Top of Page

crystal_skull

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  04:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the reply SeySorciere.

i do feel like i have a new lease of life since ive started practising .
my problems are still there but they dont seem so bad now .
i use to suffer from very high levels of stress and now more and more i can feel the calmness slowly but surely taking a hold in my psyche.
no doubt i'll have many more questions on the way

thanks
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  09:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Crystal Skull,
interesting experience. Have you done meditation before? I ask because I've never experienced that with the mantra for the time it has been used so far, and though variations in experience between people and over time are all normal as Sey mentions above, it makes me curious if I would have had the same observations. Back then, I started without any instruction, and remember only getting lost in thoughts, my body warming up, occasional expansion of a vast inner space, and wonderful sense of vitality, peace, and new awareness in the silence.

Let us know how it goes, and don't hesitate to ask if more questions come up.
Go to Top of Page

crystal_skull

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  2:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi aumnaturel , around 15 years ago i was introduced to meditation as therapy for some problems i was having .
i only sat maybe a handfull of times over a weeks or so.
the last of these sittings i remember very well.
i sat for quite a long time , maybe 40 minutes ,
i then found myself having an experience similair to something up until then i had only had by artificial means
i felt like i was in a bubble but at the same time very euphoric and not closed in at all .
i felt numb but at the same time could feel everything and every part of my body.
my mind was sharp and clear , i had the answers to everything.
i liked this feeling very much.
for whatever reason , maybe because i was pretty young and messed up at the time , i never kept up the practice.
since then i have always thought about this experience and what meditation could do for me ,
it wasnt until recently when i found myself lost and going a bit crazy that i decided to change my life.
i knew meditation could help , i looked up some books online and found "deep meditation"
i cant say ive had such a strong experience since i started practising again , and having that past experience may be a hindrance as far as what i am expecting should happen when i sit down for a session.
i feel like its something im still trying to work through as far as letting this experience go.
on the other hand ive stopped smoking and drinking for near a month now and feel so much less depressed than i did .
im always looking forward to my next session.

a question about the mantra -

do you ever feel like the mantra takes on a life of it own ?
as in it seems to flow itsself ?

and would it benefit me to change my mantra at all ?

thanks all

Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  4:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Crystal,

Yes it can take a life of it's own. Just let it be.

As far as changing the mantra... why? It is very powerful all on it's own. If you change it the effects can be unexpected. With the mantra it is about letting it go. Not controlling it. It seems you are able to do that so relax and just let the mantra go and enjoy the changes it will bring.

I hope that helps

Tom
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000