Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Bija mantra versus IAM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

firstworldchild

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  03:57:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello!

I paid for instruction in meditation at through a vedic meditation school (TM). Anyway, on my quest for knowledge around meditation I came across Deep Mediation by yogani. I've been meditating for about 6 months now but have come to one question.

I was given a mantra by my teacher, which on further research looks as if it is one of the Bija mantras. We've been told not to write it down or anything and to keep it private. While I have felt some progress, everything I've read on this website suggests that I should use AYAM first and then progress to my mantra later on - it seems that my mantra has a specific use...

Does AYAM have a specific use as the uses for the bija mantras are described here. http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/bija_mantra.php .

I'm also concerned that I shouldnt jump around and use different mantras but should follow through with one.. despite my mantra not neccessarily providing me with the feeling of "deep" all the time...

Sorry if this is a bit all over the place, just looking for a little guidance :) thanks!

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  04:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Firstworldchild,

Welcome to the forum.

The mantra design for AYAM and the mantra extensions used in AYP are discussed in this lesson:

http://www.aypsite.org/188.html

Christi
Go to Top of Page

firstworldchild

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  04:45:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi...

What a lovely piece describing why the mantra was constructed. I'm still interested to find out if AYAM is better than the mantra I was given as a starting point.

Yogani mentions in his answer :

quote:
I realize that we have all had to take our mantras on faith from others who are supposed to know, who get them from scriptures. You know, I think it is going to change as ecstatic conductivity comes up in more and more people in this rising new age. We already have some people in this group with awakened kundalini who can no doubt judge for themselves how the mantra syllables are resonating in their nervous system. In other words, if you are taking my (or anyone else's) word for it now, you won't have to in the future. All it takes is awakening ecstatic conductivity through the practices.

any other lessons which might help me make the choice.. particularly given the reluctance to change the mantra fro the one i'm using incase it will set me back 6 months...
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  05:23:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by firstworldchild

Thanks Christi...

What a lovely piece describing why the mantra was constructed. I'm still interested to find out if AYAM is better than the mantra I was given as a starting point.

Yogani mentions in his answer :

quote:
I realize that we have all had to take our mantras on faith from others who are supposed to know, who get them from scriptures. You know, I think it is going to change as ecstatic conductivity comes up in more and more people in this rising new age. We already have some people in this group with awakened kundalini who can no doubt judge for themselves how the mantra syllables are resonating in their nervous system. In other words, if you are taking my (or anyone else's) word for it now, you won't have to in the future. All it takes is awakening ecstatic conductivity through the practices.

any other lessons which might help me make the choice.. particularly given the reluctance to change the mantra fro the one i'm using incase it will set me back 6 months...

What does your inner guru want to go with ? those that have chosen the AYP mantra have done so because it felt right. If something else feels right then you should go with that. There isn't a best for everyone, let your instincts show you.

As Yogani says, its is better to dig for water in one place with one well and not to dig holes all over.

However, forget about progress and 6 months of work. There is only now. The rest is purely memory.
Go to Top of Page

firstworldchild

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  05:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i guess what i should do is ask my teacher what my mantra will do.. yogani says the ayam mantra resonates from the third eye to the base of the spine, awakening the energy there.

from what i understand my mantra was based upon my age, sex etc. yogani's seems to make more sense logically...
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  05:46:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Firstworldchild,

If you are initiated with an beej mantra from a guru you can go with it.I guess from your explaination its the initiation to you from your teacher for that particular mantra.

Dont get confused as any beej mantra including IAM or AYAM(AIM) or the ones that you mentioned has some powerful effect.Follow your heart as Your inner Guru will guide you in a better way.

May you find Eternal Peace.

Love N Light
Gayatri Shiva

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  05:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Firstworldchild,

Yes, talk to your teacher. They should be able to explain how your mantra works and why it is right for you. That should put your mind at rest.

All the best

Christi
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  06:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by firstworldchild

i guess what i should do is ask my teacher what my mantra will do.. yogani says the ayam mantra resonates from the third eye to the base of the spine, awakening the energy there.

from what i understand my mantra was based upon my age, sex etc. yogani's seems to make more sense logically...

It is your inner guru manifest and you have your answer. Simply ask.
Go to Top of Page

firstworldchild

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  7:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all.

I guess this leads to a deeper question. Why are there different mantras and why does yogani give IAM as a catch all? From what i've read about the tantric and vedic mantras there are a few mantras which seem to have a different goal?

For example SHREEM is the mantra to bring prosperity etc, and Yogani says that IAM or AYAM is meant to focus on opening your nervous system. Any further thoughts or help on understanding this?
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2013 :  1:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi firstworldchild,

My sense is that part of how a mantra functions is that it tunes you in, puts you on the same wavelength, gives you a subtle attunement with others using the same mantra including your teacher and your teacher's spiritual community. So, in this view, if you want to tune in with a particular teacher and get maximum benefit from that relationship, then best to use the mantra given by your teacher.

Namaste,

Be

Edited by - bewell on Oct 12 2013 1:51:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  10:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The mantras used by the Vedic Meditation teachers are TM (Transcendental Meditation) mantras. I was trained as a TM teacher by Maharishi, and these mantras don't "DO" anything. They are vehicles to allow the mind to travel from noisy to quiet, to reduce mental activity and allow the mind and body to achieve deeps states of calm relaxation and silence. This is exactly what the AYAM or I Am mantra does, and in fact, that is also one of the TM mantras. Using either will have very similar results, but the AYP mantra is very generic, while the TM mantras are tailored to fit people according to very simple objective criteria such as gender, age, marital status, etc.
Michael
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000