Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 My AYP practise
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2013 :  08:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!

I have been lurking in this forum and site for couple of months now, and took on the AYP practise in August. Prior to AYP practise I have some experience in zazen, tantra and OSHO active meditations.

At the moment my practise is something like this:
-Five sun salutations (before the morning session)
-One kundalini yoga kriya (once a day)
-Five minute SPB
-5-20minutes of DM
-Rest

I have been enjoying the practise tremendously and I have seen massive increase in the inner silence! Although I haven't been able to keep a steady 2 times a day practise, mostly due to my sometimes too hectic schedules. And sometimes I can't make myself to stay in DM for more than 5 minutes so I never force it. If I drop out of meditation, I will go on straight to rest.

Today at my morning session I went very deep into silence. My breath slowed down to once every 15seconds. Then I felt my eyes are tense, so I relaxed my eyelids and they were drawn down and found it very difficult to remember the mantra so I said it only when it felt natural. At the same time I felt like opening my mouth and then my head began pulling backwards. Couldn't take it for too long as it began feeling uncomfortable so I returned to the basic mantra.

Even though I have the yoga practises before the sitting, can this be considered an AYP practise?

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2013 :  09:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chinmayo,

Welcome to the forum!

By putting a kundalini yoga kriya you are modifying the basic AYP practice a little. With that in there you are, to a certain extent doing your own experiment. Different practices mix in different ways, so without knowing what the kriya is it is hard to say what the practice will do. You will find out in time though.

The head being pulled back and the mouth opening automatically are symptoms of an active kundalini. If you find anything that is happening uncomfortable or painful, then self-pace your practice as needed. Also remember to do plenty of grounding each day, especially taking a walk at some point.

You may find this lesson useful:

http://www.aypsite.org/69.html

All the best

Christi
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2013 :  09:16:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks you Christi for a quick reply and your advice!

At the moment I do either, "Radiant body" or "Master your domain" kriya, depending on the day. It takes about 15minutes to complete. I do self pacing by listening to my inner voice - if it says to take only SPB and DM, then I will do so. So far I haven't had any negative effects from the practise, except the occasional inability to DM for the full 20minutes as one.

So far I have been able to ground by walking barefoot on my yard, but now the winter is approaching and soon it will be impossible to do that. Maybe just regular walks in the forest will do the trick until the spring? Moreover, my work is quite physical, and feels grounding as well.

Peace,
Chinmayo
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2013 :  6:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chinmayo,

Yes, regular walks are fine- barefoot, or with shoes on. And if your work is physical then you may well be fine only with that. I'm not familiar with those 2 kriyas so I can't comment on them in terms of how they would effect your practice.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2013 :  01:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello chinmayo and welcome to the forums
seems like good things are happening
and most improtantly i like the way you listen to your inner voice
quote:
And sometimes I can't make myself to stay in DM for more than 5 minutes so I never force it. If I drop out of meditation, I will go on straight to rest.

and that you are very good at grounding yourself
best wishes
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2013 :  06:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your comments!

I consider the kriya to fit into the Asanas category on the Yoganis basic structure for the practise. To me it feels like it helps my body to prepare for the pranayama and deep meditation. I will continue my exploration and will keep posting my progress here :)

Good to know it is the kundalini awakening. I have slight calling to become a healer, so I really want to be in touch with the kundalini / chi energy. I'm currently studying shiatsu therapy, and I find it to be a good combination of physical manipulation and intuitive energy healing (my teacher emphasizes the inner silence)

What I like the most about the AYP approach to meditation is that it is not unpleasant or boring to me. Before I learnt about OSHO active meditations (which are very good for group meditation, not so much for solitary practise) and AYP, I always found sitting meditation - in my case, zazen and vipassana - to be tiresome and a struggle and therefore never managed to make it a regular habit. I'm not saying those are not good forms of meditation as they seem to be very effective for many - I'm only talking about my own experience.

During my 3 months of AYP practise I'm already seeing both physical and mental changes, and it's incredible how easy and fast those changes have been compared to the past. I've tried to change my diet and habits, but it has been difficult. The struggle I have had with many changes I have been trying to force has been transformed into positive progress, perhaps?

I'm not a native English speaker but I'm trying to express myself in a proper manner :)

Live the life you love, love the life you live,
Chinmayo

[edit] Edited irrelevant details

Edited by - chinmayo on Oct 07 2013 8:15:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2013 :  08:56:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The struggle I have had has been transmuted into positive progress

Quite possibly! It is often the case that more and more inner struggle is let go of. Then when struggle is let go, we either get the results we wanted, or not, but we don't care too much about the outcome anymore anyway!
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2013 :  09:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again!

I took a kundalini yoga intensive last weekend which focused on bandhas, and after that I felt like pacing myself and didn't do sittings until last night after my night shift. On that sitting, I again got automatic yoga, with my head rolling back and mouth opening fully, facing upwards. This time I could stay in that position for slightly longer time by breathing through my mouth instead of the regular nose breathing. I am not certain of this, but it felt like my mouth was moving, almost like forming words withouth making a sound. I remained in that state for maybe 5 minutes, and after that I dwelled in the DM for a while before laying down and finally falling asleep. What does this indicate? Does it have something to do with the throath chakra?

It seems that since starting the AYP practise, I have been more assertive at my work and for example demanded compensation for all the extra work I do which I previously did for free and other benefits which I didn't dare to ask previously. As far as I understand, such things are related to the fifth chakra. Also also with the "Mastering your domain" kriya that I do every now and then.

After that sitting I could feel the chi/prana running around in my body, especially arms and legs, and it felt nice!

ps. I am very thankfull for yogani for finally explaining the yoga for me in a very clear manner and without the religious load that it often carries. And all the posters on this forum - you are an awesome source of information! I mean, I love kundalini yoga and it is powerful, but I have a slight problem with the "guruworship" and the use of complicated mantras in a language I don't understand.

Peace,
Chinmayo
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  5:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello!

Last week I got, for the second time now, a desire to take on the mantra enhancement. I was a bit unsure of applying it, as I'm only on my fourth month of AYP practise and didn't take it on the first time I felt the desire. Now I have been applying this enchancement for one week, and so far I feel awesome.

I have increased my grounding practises by incorporating thrice a week swimming and twice a week jiu-jitsu class in addition to the weekly 90 minute kundalini yoga class and 120 minute qigong class, and by eating more locally grown, seasonal foods (various roots like white turnips, parsnip, carrots and potatoes) and wild mushrooms. I also walk a lot as I try to walk to all my classes and grocery shopping etc.

The need for sleep seems to be rising, mostly due to the increasing darkness and the amount of exercise. The day lasts for 8 hours a day here now, and it goes down to 5 hours a day at the equinox. And the sun is rarely seen as the sky is mostly covered by grey clouds in this time of year. Darkness is good for meditation, but not very good for the overall energy - I can already notice my skin complexion turning more and more pale due to the lack of sunlight.

If it is still too early to take on the enhancement, is there some specific signs of upcoming overloading that I should be looking out for in order to cut down the practise in time? Especially in this dark time I want to keep my internal sun shining so I have to be careful.

Thanks for your time :)
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  02:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Chinmayo

- You make me smile or rather your passion does.

Something you need to remember - overloading can happen in a delayed manner, that is some weeks after you've started a new addition.
And the general words of wisdom often used here at AYP - The journey of spiritual transformation is a marathon not a sprint. But, but... The Guru is in You

Much love

Sey
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  08:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, thanks for reminding me, SeySorciere! I had forgotten about the delayed effect.

This maybe seems like I'm only doing my exercises to ground etc, but it's more of a holistic approach. I've been doing martial arts for 14 years on and off, and now that I finally feel like I have found the missing part in my practise, which is the spirituality, I feel like I have a change to advance also on that front.

For example, I have previously been in the heavy weight series, and I always had problems with my back, my knees etc and I had to take breaks from training. Now, after spirituality has become in my life, I'm currently in the light weight series, and I feel like now I have dropped all that was extra and am what my body type REALLY is.

I'm now 30 years old, and I feel like 20 and I have not been this well physically or mentally since my high school days - the mental load about 10 years of depression and the physical load of obesity is gone. Futhermore, the letting go of desires, unhealthy relationships (clinging) and expectations (of myself and others) makes the life more enjoyable

Also, I'm a single guy with no desire for family life or big social status/circles and I'm in a point in my working life in which I don't have to work much to support my lifestyle so I have a lot of 'free time' which I dedicate to physical, musical and spiritual practise and study. Not many understand my life choice, but nowadays I do not care about that so much. Life seems to bring new people in my life who do and with whom I have more in common with anyways.

Everyone is a star, so let your light shine far!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  06:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you are in a good place indeed... the kind of life-style I wish I could afford
Good luck !

Sey
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2013 :  3:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Sounds like you are in a good place indeed... the kind of life-style I wish I could afford
Good luck !

Sey

Yes I'm enjoying and appreciating the lifestyle I am able to lead right now!

I have now returned to the core AYP practise:
- 5 Surya namaskars (Morning sitting)
- 5 minute SPB with kumbhaka + bandhas (siddhasna or padmasana)
- 10-20 minute DM with the enhancement (sometimes I drop the mantra at the end to just enjoy the silence before I go to rest)
- ~5 minutes of rest

I don't use timer, so those are not exact times, but usually I see that the whole practise took 20-30minutes. It is good enough for me! I like to go to sleep sometimes right after the evening sessions and have had no problems with it, although it wasn't encouraged in the main lessons. Is there some reason for that?

I do the kriyas and/or chiqong now separately and not every day as I was beginning to feel it was too much. I feel that the amount of sunlight available is connected to this overloading also. Due to my nightshift I was able to bask in the sun for hours on sunny days but now when I don't have that possibility (as there is no sun usually visible), I don't feel the inclination to do so much practise anymore.

Kundalini symptoms occuring:
- Occasional energy movement and tingling in hands, feet and in the back
- Hot hands
- Occasional automatic yoga during DM
- Slowing down and total cessation of breathing during DM
- Circles of light emanating from the ajna downwards to the sacrum

-Chinmayo

Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  9:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I want to express the intensive feeling of thankfulness which suddendly arose in my being-existence. I am thankfull:
For being able to study dharma
For being able to practise yoga
For being able to express my self musically
For having the pssibility to access various ancient sources of wisdom easily
For having sustenance
For having friends and family
For being healthy
For being able to help others
For increasing of understanding daily
For the difficult past lessons
For the Christ my beloved first Master
For the Buddhas, Lamas, sages and teachers
To the Universal Father, LOVING ENDLESSNESS
Withou whom nothing would be and whom I feel unworthy to even mention, for the grace of being able to experience this life here and now in this time. Holy be he for ever and ever.

Blessed love.

Edited by - chinmayo on Dec 10 2013 9:50:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  05:57:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Gratitude...

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  10:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I echooooo...the...gratitude...even as the bhakti-desire consumes me for more...thank you for that stupendous list. Having read that, I think I'm gonna go pick up the guitar and tap into some divine vibrations. Undulating, swelling, expanding, retracting, reverberating on waves of stillness. It's nothing special because everything is special. Be still and flow.
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  3:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad to have inspired some guitar playing

I just want to recommend this awesome book if you ever need 'food' for bhakti:)

http://www.amazon.com/Advice-Mahamu...p/3940269042

Btw, most of those 'kundalini symptoms' have disappeared. Little shaking occurs sometimes, especially when in padmasana. I have found padmasana to be 'working' better for me. Also, it is a good meditation timer, as at 25 minutes it starts to tingle as the leg is starting to get numb so I don't even need a timer :D

Have had a little trouble with the sittings, I think it's mostly due to these 00-08 nightshifts I've been doing this week (really not good for my system, and it's not my regular shift) But I have developed a little combination of asanas and chigong that helps to quiet the mind so it is easier to sit even in this current schedule.

Still I'm content at the work - I just know that in the long run it's not smart. The downside with the shift is that I need to have a car and it would be nice to be free of that also.

Just a little update :)
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2013 :  08:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so i ended this year on a 4 day juice fast. I broke the fast last night.

After breaking it, i had evening sit and some time after that i went to sleep. Soon after falling asleep i went into lucid state, in which i kind of threw up but instead of threwing up normally, something else happened. It felt like a strong wind blew under my blanket which was midair, i felt pretty scared and got up fast. Didnt get much sleep after that. Just felt like writing the experience down.
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2014 :  10:14:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello!

I have been enjoying my sits this year although it has been rather hectic while juggling two different roles at my dayjob plus working on an song release at the same time.

I have been able to have at least one sitting daily, although very irregularly. I hope this new arrangement doesn't last forever so I can get back to 'normal' soon. I got a promotion to a new post but I still have to work at my old post for a little while so I have two part-time post at the moment. Also had my GRE exams this week, which I think I failed barely..

Still, it has been suprisingly stressless. A little bit hectic due to the lack of sleep and the darkness of the Finnish winter, but it's getting better day by day as the days are getting longer. The sun didn't appear for at least three or fours weeks in a row so you can believe it can be a bit.. depressing. But now with the cold days the sun also made a reappearance which can be felt already after two or three days.

Anyways, I have since dropped the SPB and my practise now consists of Asanas -> couple of maha bandhas with controlled breathing -> 15-20min of DM. I usually sit in padmasana, often with a soft ball on my perineum to provide stimulation. Very peacefull sits with the mantra quite often disappearing in the silence a ccouple of times during the DM. Sometimes my head goes backwards with my mouth opening upwards which is a bit painful on my neck so I can't stay in that for a long time, otherwise not much scenery.

Also, I visited a friend of mine who is a lot into spirituality and she asked me to do a pair meditation. So I agreed. We ended up the meditation with a technique in which you look into each others' eyes. I began to see her face change a couple of times which was a bit off-putting and I had to stop it. Anyone of you familiar with this scenery?

Blesed love

Edited by - chinmayo on Jan 16 2014 10:46:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2014 :  12:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool, Chinmayo. You know, I bombed the GRE, twice. I did much worse the second time around.

I have not seen faces change, except on Ishta statues (including movement). But I have seen morphing faces in my dreams, frequently, vividly, and for many years. That stopped when I began spiritual practice.

Thanks for tbe update!

Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  10:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
With a girlfriend back in college I did the "stare into each other's eyes" thing and we both experienced morphing, shifting faces. I was nowhere near being a meditator or knowing anything related to yoga or AYP back then. I think I read about it in a science book.
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2014 :  10:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for you input anima & yogaman!

Ok so the face morphing doesn't necessarily have anything to do with meditation. It was just strange like her face turned for example into a 300year old persons face and it was a bit scary! Also have experienced a morphing experience while staring at a star or a moon at night which causes the surrounding treelines and woods to look weird and differnet. I don't know!

Today at a shiatsu class I was doing shiatsu practise with my teacher, and while he was working on my sacrum, I began "seeing" different geometric patterns spinning and he told me that he saw a string of numbers in his mind at the same time. I joked that he should try the numbers at the weekly lottery and he promised me 10% of the prize ;)

Anima, did you ever try the GRE third time? To me the practise GRE was pretty easy but the actual test was 10x harded. But, I got a bit intriqued to actually start practising geometry and trigonometrics again for fun and maybe take the exam again later..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000