Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Mulabandha Confusion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cate

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  7:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namasté All,

I am confused about Mulabandha and am concerned that I am not doing it correctly.

I have read differing descriptions of Mulabandha and am confused as to which is correct. Some articles say it is a contraction of the anus. Others say it is the contraction of the muscles that stop the flow of urine. And yet others I have read say to contract everything -- the anus and also the muscles that stop the flow of urine. And I also read that it is not about contracting the anus or the muscles that stop the flow of urine, but rather, isolating the perineum which is between the anus and genitals, and contracting it and drawing it up.

Can someone please clarify for me which is the correct procedure?

Also, I have read that applying Mulabandha can give some pleasurable sexual sensations, but when I apply it using the AYP method of slightly flexing the anus and drawing up, I rarely experience anything. Does that mean I am doing something wrong?

However, if I also contract the other muscles in my pelvic floor along with the anus, then there are some pleasurable sexual sensations.

On a side note that might be related, over a year ago I broke my tailbone, or badly damaged it in a fall. It took months to heal well enough just so I could sit without pain. Could that injury have damaged my energy flow in that area which is why I usually don't feel anything when applying Mulabandah the AYP way?

Thank you for any insight on this!

Cate

apatride

New Caledonia
94 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  10:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit apatride's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cate,

I'm not an advanced AYPist, so maybe you'd find my answer both unrelevant and interesting.

I've been doing mulabandha for a few weeks now, and I'm testing sometimes anus contraction, sometimes pelvis, sometimes both, in between, etc. Each one brings different feelings and sensations.

I think that in traditional texts, mulabandha is about contracting the anus, but I might be wrong on this one.

I've found that the it also occurs not only at anus or pelvis level, but also some centimeters up inside the body.

I don't think you should try too hard to find THE good spot, I've noticed that during spinal breath (and in deep meditation sometimes), mulabandha just locates automatically. Continue to practice as you like, you can try different contraction spots, and one day it will just *click* and you'll know it's right there.

Wish you good practice
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2013 :  12:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no ideal mulabandha. Different sources, different practices.

In my experience, the most effective method is a slight co contraction of the pelvic floor muscles but without contracting the muscles higher up that control the passages.

You can think of the coccyx drawing towards the pubic symphisis, while the sit bones also draw downwards.

But really, its an energetic technique, just keep practing and over time it will reveal itself. Its a very subtle practice.
Go to Top of Page

the.divine.within

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  10:08:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cate,
Would you clarify: by applying Mulabandha, are you seeking some pleasurable sexual sensations as an experience or are you seeking some pleasurable sexual sensation as a verification of correct practice?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000